Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Jacked Up

OK guys, Little help here.
I an about to lube the axles and the suspension. What's the best way to raise the coach? With the Levelers? They are rated at 40,000lbs. Floor jack? Hooked to the truck or sitting on the front levelers?
Everything is in working order now , I would like to keep it that way.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Site Team

I use the leveling system to raise the coach off the ground. You may have to put blocks under the jacks to give more height.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Team

I use a bottle jack to raise one wheel at a time. Don't want to start another discussion on the EZ Lube feature on the axels but be very careful IF you plan to use it.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

Easiest is to use the Level-up jacks (was originally advertised as a feature until the Legal Eagles got involved). If you're on good solid ground you could do it without hooking to the TV, but if not on level ground, I'd hook to the TV for just a little added stability.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:15 AM   #5

Can this be done with the slides out? Can someone that's done it explain the steps for raising. It seems you would do middle and rear on one side then the other. Or the fronts and the rears but not middles.

Thanks, Mark
Old 02-15-2014, 03:24 AM   #6
Site Team

When I repacked my wheel bearing I had all 4 tires off the ground for a couple of days without a problem. You can have the slides out if you wish but then you have to be careful not to bump your head. This could come in handy though to keep the sun or rain off you.

I started out by putting jack pads down under the rear 2 jacks and the mid-ship jacks. I put down the rear jacks first and raised the back set of tires off the ground. Then I lowered the mid-ship jacks. This left my front landing gear hanging in the air. Lastly I put the front landing gear down. At this point the trailer is completely safe and you can do anything you want to the suspension. The suspension does pop a little as you lift them up and remove all the weight.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:38 AM   #7

Thanks, Dave. Looking at the controls, both rears go down with one button, but for the mids you press both the left and right buttons. Am I seeing this right?

Mark
Old 02-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Thanks, Dave. Looking at the controls, both rears go down with one button, but for the mids you press both the left and right buttons. Am I seeing this right?

Mark

To be honest I don't remember and my trailer isn't at my house right now.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
To be honest I don't remember and my trailer isn't at my house right now.
OK, thanks anyway. The 4 buttons are arranged in a diamond. Top front, bottom rear, then left and right.

Mark
Old 02-15-2014, 04:07 AM   #10

In manual control, when I press the rear button all 4 rear jacks go down - the 2 rear & 2 m'ship.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
In manual control, when I press the rear button all 4 rear jacks go down - the 2 rear & 2 m'ship.
I wonder if left and rear only does the to lefts or vice versa.

Mark
Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
I wonder if left and rear only does the to lefts or vice versa.

Mark
The rear button controls both the mid and rear jacks. The left/right buttons adjust all three jacks on each side of your coach, unless they are over extended. As Dave said, put some leveling pads under your mid and rear jacks to raise the coach up a little higher. You will want loosen the lug nuts before raising the coach. Finally, when putting the lug nuts back on, remember to torque them to 110 psi and check there torque after driving 50 to 100 miles.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

Thanks everyone. Not yet ready to do it but this should get me thru it.

Mark
Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #14

Last year while traveling home from Minnesota, stopped in to a McDs for lunch and someone told me one of my tires was low. Being a member of Good Sam Road Service, thought I would give them a try. I could change it myself but that is what I have the service for. I got the spare out, broke loose the lug nuts and waited. When the service arrived he wanted to jack my fifth wheel up under the axles. He said he does it all the time. I thought, you are not going to bend my axles so I suggested using the level up system. We had to set the controller to manual mode and we only used the right/left buttons to lower the rear and mid legs as I was connected to tow vehicle. We could not get it to raise high enough just using one side because of the degree difference from side-to-side. I think the max is 10 or 15 degrees difference after which it will not allow any more adjustment. We had to lower jack on other side to raise that side as well before we could continue but then the original side legs ,when extended completely would not raise tire off ground so we had to retract that side and put wood under them, then raise it off the ground. It worked great and I didn't have to worry about bent axles. The manual states do not use the level up system to raise the tires off the ground. I'm sure that is stated for safety and legal reason so someone doesn't lift the fifth wheel off the ground, take the wheels off and then climb under the fifth wheel to work on it.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #15

If I am going to lift the axle to change a single tire, of lube a single wheel, I will use the leveler system, if I am having good sam or some other system to change a tire I will let them use their system which usually amounts to them using their jack against the frame next to the axle. This makes them responsible for any problems that may happen.