Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #1

Is it a heat pump?

Hello all,
Deb and I recently purchased a 2014 31SL on 10/26/13 and have yet to take delivery of the trailer while waiting for my truck to arrive. We routinely visit this site and the other Redwood RV site, and have come to enjoy the nice folks here and we appreciate all the good advice and friendly attitude of all. So with that, I do have a concern I'd appreciate some assistance with;
during the purchase process I made it very clear I wanted a heat pump as the main unit with the secondary unit a standard AC unit (both with ducting and thermostat controls). While paying a visit to the trailer while it is sitting in the dealers storage lot (McGeorge RV, Ashland VA) and after repeated verification by the salesman that it does indeed have a heat pump, I took a picture of the thermostat and I would like for any of you that have a heat pump to let me know if your thermostat looks like the one in the attached picture. I believe this thermostat controls a standard 15000BTU A/C and the furnace. In our last Carriage the thermostat had additional controls for the heat portion of the heat pump.
By the way, I climbed on top of the unit and both units look exactly the same from the outside, I do know about and understand how heat pumps and A/Cs work and I know there may be parts under the shroud I can't see, again I'm asking for any input.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00528.jpg (271.3 KB, 10 views)

Bob & Debbie with Meeko & Lucy
2014 F350, SC, LB 4X4, 6.7
2014 31 SL
USN retired, 31 years
"If it was easy, anybody could do it"
CV67Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #2

Sorry for the bad news,
but with a heat pump you should have 4 positions on one or the other thermostat... that one only has three cool, heat, and off....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thermo.JPG (21.3 KB, 73 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

Thanks, that is exactly what I thought, looks like the dealership and I will have to some talking at delivery. Really appreciate your reply.
Thamls

Bob & Debbie with Meeko & Lucy
2014 F350, SC, LB 4X4, 6.7
2014 31 SL
USN retired, 31 years
"If it was easy, anybody could do it"
CV67Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #4

Our RL is still at the shop but the thermostat you have a photo of does not include the electric position. I also think it says gas for the furnace position. Yes they look the same on the outside. Take a look at your other thermostat, but usually the one by the main entrance operates the heat pump unless you have two heat pumps.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

We have two heat pumps -

This is the rear unit thermostat that has the furnace, AC, Heat Pump

And this is the front unit thermostat that has the AC, Heat Pump.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
We have two heat pumps -

This is the rear unit thermostat that has the furnace, AC, Heat Pump

And this is the front unit thermostat that has the AC, Heat Pump.

That front thermostat looks like it has a propane heat setting only and not the electric heat setting.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #7

Actually the front thermostat controls AC and elect heat only. The furnace is only controlled from the rear thermostat, not both.

I had to step back and think for a second as well, but the tech showed me how each worked and we tested them all out.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #8

looks like a regular a/c thermostat, I have a 2013 38fb with a heatpump and AC there are two thermostats one for the main A/C and heating lettering on it is HP and another for the bedroom/bath the lettering on it is A/C we have no electric heat just LP.
Bob Spetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #9

There are apparently many different thermostats out there in the Redwood. Ours on the '12Rl is the brown Colman Mach. The main lower one has the Cool, Off, Gas Heat, Elec. Heat. and controls the furnace, a/c, & heat pump. The one in the bedroom looks basically the same, but only has Cool, & Off and just controls the second A/C. I don't know what heat the brown one that has Cool, Off & Heat. I would guess that the Heat either controls the furnace of nothing.
Basically, the way a heat pump works, is that the a/c reverses itself. An a/c takes the inside heat and moves it outside, when it is reversed, it takes the heat from the outside, and moves it inside. It is done with valves, etc. That is why as it gets cooler, a heat pump is less efficient. There is less heat to get out of the outside air.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame View Post
I don't know what heat the brown one that has Cool, Off & Heat. I would guess that the Heat either controls the furnace of nothing.
It controls the SECOND heat pump. Redwood offers the optional heat pump in lieu of one or both ACs.

We have to thank our Dealer for that, and the factory rep. The factory rep called to ask if we wanted the 2nd heat pump on our order because we lived in CO.