Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Is Dish Network Internet ok?

Full timers since four months and want good internet.

We have been at seven campgrounds so far and internet normally is slow and sluggish. Verizon have been working excellent but we use 10-20Gb and we are paying some 120 bucks per month for it to Verizon.

We got extra antennas and they work fine to connect TO the campgrounds internet but we have seldom seen higher download speeds than 2Mb/s but the biggest problem is that they are not reliable. Works full on than off for a minute or two. We are looking to get something that is reliable and stabile.

Saw there was three big satellite internet providers and they offer 10-30 Gb (night and day) for about 50-70 per month.

We use Dish network and are happy with them for TV.

Does anyone of you use their internet service via satellite?

Tried to read reviews online but hard to get a feeling, trust what people in this forum write since we are "in the same boat".

So please, before we sign up anything - what is your experiences?

We will be at the Rally in Shipshewana this weekend, hope to meet some of you then!
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

My understanding of Dish Internet is not the greatest and some things might have changed, but here is what i know....not recommended to stream video or music over it, not wifi capable unless you pay for their router, install needs to be done by a Dish tech, not recommended for gaming, not recommended for VOIP, not recommended for VPN. Lastly, they limit your data and will throttle you if you go over.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

I agree, not really an option for the RV. I work from the rig at times. I use both AT&T (hot spots on our phones) or Verizon air card, in a Cradlepoint wireless router.

Depending on location, signal strength and speed, I will use one or the other. Both companies allow me to change my data plan so I keep them at the minimum when not on the road. When on the road, I'll adjust my data plan (both companies allow backdated plan changes) so I don't go over the allotted data cap.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #4

Understand that you are correct! Exede seems to be the way to go. Unlimited during the night and fast during the day. 1 meter dish but that is ok.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #5

Only person with Sat internet that I know of is Al (ALMCC). My understanding is very slow speed.

We use a Millenicom Hot Spot, which uses the Verizon network. We get up to 20G per month for $89. No contract and we pay monthly. Call them to connect at the border Southbound and to disconnect at the border Northbound. Also use a Cradlepoint router.

This set up works well, not perfect, but way better than campground Wi-Fi.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Traveling

Dish DOES have satellite internet (it's fairly new). I cannot speak for it's quality, but I DID call them to ask about an RV install and they said it could not be used on an RV. Something about needing to be stationary and using local something... I forget. I know, not very helpful.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 AM   #7

The answer I got from Dish is that they use local "spot beams" to cover smaller areas with more bandwidth. The availability of service where you are is based on the number of users in that spot beam. Since RVs move around all the time they aren't willing to move the connection from 1 beam to another as you move around.

I also am wondering about how to get internet. We have been on the road now for about 9 days and already have used up the 5GB I have for my iPad hotspot and just tonight got a message while using dish anywhere from home that my "unlimited" iPhone has used almost 5GB and will be slowed down for the rest of my billing cycle which is another 12 days - grrrr.

Think I will look closer at the Millenicom hotspot and $90/month for 20GB works out to be $4.50/GB which is pretty good.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 AM   #8
Traveling

I hear good things about Millenicom again and again. unless something changes that is the service we will use when we hit the road. We are stationary in a camp host position where the only service available in DSL. It works well for now but it will not work when we hit the road.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #9

Ken,
I think you're going to find that streaming video on the road just isn't practical given data caps.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #10

Brenkco,

I know. Long story about where my Winegard Dish Trav'ler is at the moment, but I'm hopeful with the help of others at the rally to have it installed and up and running by the end of the week. Streaming video is just a bandwidth hog when you pay by the Gig.

Ken
Old 08-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #11

I am actually looking for satellite internet, not MiFi. Have a Verizon puck but expensive and no free downloads during the night.

Understand that it is more complicated with satellite internet than I thought!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
I hear good things about Millenicom again and again. unless something changes that is the service we will use when we hit the road. We are stationary in a camp host position where the only service available in DSL. It works well for now but it will not work when we hit the road.
Been using Milenicom for over a year,...outstanding!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #13

I have looked at different plans and ended up with Millenicom hotspot (Verizon)10mb as well as an Elevate AT&T hotspot 10mb. I travel primarily the west and my AT&T unit is more reliable and use it the most. I will occasionally use my iPhone (AT&T) as a hotspot 10mb. Very seldom do I find park wifi adequate.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilFawlty View Post
I am actually looking for satellite internet, not MiFi. Have a Verizon puck but expensive and no free downloads during the night.

Understand that it is more complicated with satellite internet than I thought!
I've looked into this as well, it poses a couple of issues all of which are overcome with money.

1) Motosat who made the portable automatic dishes that support Satellite Internet for RV's went under a few years ago. Fortunately they made really, really good equipment thus its still available on the used market and vendors still support it. However the dishes I've found run $3-4k and up. Check ebay as there's a couple of reputable vendors selling out there.

2) Satellite Internet providers other than Dish (which we can't use as you've found out) is kinda spendy. Probably $100-200/mo for decent service. The speeds are not bad but the lag time isn't great considering how far the signal is travelling, thus VOIP would lead to many "interesting". Just think about the TV Satellite interviews you see and how they work.

There is a guy (several probably) over on RV Network who use Satellite Internet for everything and he works from his RV. I've chatted with him a bit as Satellite RV would change a lot for me, however I'd still need some Cell signal for phone as I work from "RV" as well and need Internet and Phone to do that.

Also, the website below will educate to the point where you know more than some scientist.

http://www.datastormusers.com/
Old 08-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #15

Thanks for your relevant answer! get me further on the path. Will look into your suggestions.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #16

I purchased a tripod mounted satellite internet system from Starband.net and have 5Gb per week, 1.5Mbs download speed, with unlimited download between midnight & 6am for $99/mth. They require installer certification which wasn't too hard. I purchased it through a dealer (mobileinternetsatellite.com) who helped with equipment selection, training, and support.

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 AM   #17

Excellent! I will look into this right away!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 AM   #18

Read their rules and find 1500 kb/s download, 4GB per week and free nights.

What is your experience with reliability re. speed and are they honest with the amount of data they say you have used?

Dish uses Exedes technology and none of them can be used when mobile, they have a "spot beam" which is more or less just one ZIP code and they don't accept that you move to a new location.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #19

Hey Hammonds, welcome abroad! Really like your taste in RWs.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #20

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/t...X4caAiV_8P8HAQ

Winegard x2 with dish network let's you only pay the months you are out on the road.