Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Traveling

Inverter Status Question

I am really scratching my head on this one and can't find it in the "manual". Electronics and inverters and all that are "uphill" for me. So here's my question
2014-06-13 10.14.22.jpg
Does this "status" that says "AC in 30 AMP" mean:
A: My shoreline is only supplying 30 amps?
B: My inverter is only capable of deliverying 30 amps?
We are supposed to be plugged in to 50 amps, but we are in a very OLD park that is being renovated. Not completely confident of the hookup. Don't see any evidence of a shortage though. Been running everything at once with no issues.
Thanks, my brain hurts.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #2

Hmmm, why don't I have one of those fancy gadgets?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Traveling

It comes with the residential package to run the refrigerator. WHICH REMINDS ME: I was disappointed to learn that the inverter is ONLY wired to the refrigerator :-( I assumed it would run all of the AC in the rig... not so. Might check into having that changed.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
lwg

How big it that factory inverter? It might not power much more than the fridge.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Traveling

it's 1000 watts. I agree that it wouldn't run much at the same time. However, the refrigerator does not run all the time.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Site Team

1000 watts isn't enough to power the microwave and just barely enough for the coffee maker. It sounds like it's sized for the fridge.
In a boat, say like a 30-33' one, we used at least a 2.5kw inverter for the tv, and kitchen stuff. You can't run an AC off the inverter (at least the normal sized ones)
Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
lwg

I've considered adding a 3kw Pure Sine inverter and another set of batteries in ours along with a couple of dedicated inverter plugs. The plugs would be to run important things like the TV/Cable Box and my computer (work from RV) as well as possibly run just one of the AC units. Figure it would be my backup solution if I ever have to boondock in the heat or in an end of the world scenario!
Old 06-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #8

Todd, we don't have the residential appliance package so I can't answer with total authority, but, I've installed 2 or 3 solar systems with Xantrex and Magnum Inverters. Even my 2000 watt Magnum Inverter that I'm getting ready to install is only rated at 30 Amps. That's why it can't "feed" the entire breaker panel and therefore power the entire load center. What you most likely have is a 30 amp breaker the powers the inverter. When you don't have shore power, the Magnum goes into inverter mode and can then power the refrigerator from battery power. I can do a quick drawing for you if that helps? Let me know.

Thanks,
Tim
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
Traveling

Tim, that is VERY helpful, thank you! Then it is telling me that the inverter is supplying 30 amp. NOT that I am hooked up to 30 amp. Perfect.

And yes, Vaughan I know that 1000 watts isn't very much, but as lwg pointed out, sometimes it's nice to use for limited things in a pinch.

I have a quote for a very elaborate solar system in the future, and I expect that will solve everything anyway, as they will install a big inverter. I love solar. We have a good system on our Lance truck camper and I can't even remember the last time we used hookups. Its fantastic! Very expensive for the RW, however, so I gotta sell something big to get that! haha!

Thanks again Tim. That helps me.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #10

I am by no way an expert, but I can tell you that on my old rig I had 4 6volt batteries and a 1500 watt inverter. It was sufficient to power my cpap over night and had enough power to make a pot of coffee in the morning. I ran a separate circuit for my entertainment system that ran off the inverter all the time to avoid the satellite having to reset when changing from generator to battery.

I have a residential refer with a 1000 watt inverter. I plan to add a second 1500 to 2000 watt inverter to power the rv at night when we boon dock. The refer will have to be off overnight to have any residual battery power. I power the whole rig, but I don't run much of anything to preserve enough battery for that necessary am coffee.

I can't imagine how many batteries you would need to run the a/c unit. The proper size inverter will start it, however the battery drain would be significant, probably minutes. All of the guys that I know that have elaborate solar systems and large battery banks, can't run a/c.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #11
Traveling

oh gosh! We would never consider trying to run the AC! Definitely way too much. Not even the microwave. But the coffee maker maybe.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #12

We have 6 T105 Batteries, 3 160w solar panels and 2000w, 30 amp Magnum Pure Sine inverter. The fireplace and A/C are on separate circuits. We can run everything else thru batteries. The microwave is only used in short periods so really does not effect power. Satellite dish draws a lot of power when searching but once set the 53" TV does not draw that much power. Without conservation I can run all day & night under sunny skies. With conservation we have gone 4 days under cloudy skies.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

« Warranty | Manuals? »