Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

inverter charger mms1012 not working

The MMS1012 inverter charger has stopped working. It will not power on, whether I am connected to shore power or not. The remote display doesn't work either.

The manual states:
Symptom: Inverter's status light is off.
Possible Cause: Inverter is switched OFF or there is no DC voltage (battery) connected to inverter.
Recommended Solution: Switch the inverter ON. Connect a battery with correct voltage to the inverter.

Pressing the on button on the inverter does not power it on. I've tried pressing and holding the power button for 10+ seconds and that does nothing. I have checked the batteries and connections and everything looks like its properly connected. The battery temperature sensor connection looks good. I can run lights and fans off the batteries. I replaced the two batteries about 8 months ago but did not make any changes to how the batteries are wired.

Thoughts or suggestions on things to check?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Did it just quit on a known source of shorepower. If plugged in to a bad ped without a surge guard the first thing destroyed is the inventor then any other 120 volt on in the rig. There are s oo many variables. Do you have a gen. Is it prewired for gen with a transfer switch which can go nad causing no 120v to the invertor. If ypu know how to use a voltmeter start chasing the 120 from the ped to the invertor to insure ther is power to it. Your 12v light will work until batteries run down. Remove the battery cables and check to see if you have 13.8v dc coming from invertor. These are some things to start with
Old 08-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

Sorry Shane, you're getting things confused between Inverter and Converter.
OP is asking about the Inverter which runs the Res Fridge.
The Inverter is Hardwired directly to the Batteries if it's RW Supplied.

To the OP, have you checked the Inverter it's self?? There are two switches on it, think one is for AC, the other DC, make sure it didn't get switched off at the main unit.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

Checked breakers for a reset? Was the GFCI tripped?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:12 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions

The refrigerator stopped working while connected to shore power. I use a surge guard, model 34850. The surge guard is working fine. One morning I noticed that there was no power to the refrigerator and that is when I noticed the inverter was powered off and couldn't be powered on. The previous day was really hot, around 100 degrees.

I do have a generator prep package but I don't have a generator and have never used one.

At the main power box (inside the rv) I don't see a label on the panel for the inverter. Where would I find or how would I identify the breaker for the inverter. I checked all the fuses. All fuses are fine.

Both circuit breakers on the inverter appear to be OK. (appears to be two switches, input/output circuit breakers which I cannot toggle at all)

The GFCI was not tripped but I did switch it off and back on. Doing so did not affect the inverter.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:09 AM   #6

Today I finally had time to do some additional testing. The overcurrent device checked out fine (not broken). Using a voltage meter I tested power coming into the inverter from the batteries @ 12.8 volts. Good there.

Called Magnum Energy Inc since the inverter is still under warranty. They will be sending me a replacement inverter. Hopefully the new inverter solves the problem.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the update...always good to hear the resolution.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #8

I replaced the inverter with a refurbished unit from the manufacturer. The inverter was still under warranty. Problem solved.

Thanks again for the help!