Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #1

Post Insurance - any suggestions?

Delivery date is getting closer, hopefully our new 38RL will show up mid April.

Looking in to different insurance options.

1. We have AAA Premium RV insurance and CoachNet comes with the unit.
I suppose that it good for a flat tire or to get help getting towed for a repair but nothing else. I understand that AAA is not ONE but 50 different legal entities and that the service you are offered and pay for in your home state might not work as good everywhere. Not sure about CoachNet.

2. A vehicle/trailer insurance is good for the physical unit if we are colliding or have any other accidents or unplanned events. Not sure here but we have Cincinnati for the truck so I suppose it is smartest to go with the same company for the trailer. Not sure if Cincinnati offers any RV-insurances but awaiting an answer from my agent.

3. A HomeOwners insurance - not sure if there are any such insurances for full timers. Like if somebody breaks in to the unit when we are out stealing a computer or liability if we invite a friend over who slips etc.

4. Health Insurance - I suppose again that there is no special health insurances for full timers, more that we keep what we have or change depending on the ZIP-code of our future residence?

The ideal would to find a company that at least can do the first 3 items under the same roof. Never had any accidents/claims, DUI or speeding tickets and always paid on time so I hope we are attractive for the insurers.

What is your experience out there? Any suggestions? Read some other forums but it is more about how well/bad people were treated in different situations, not really about the coverage. And I am sure there are both good and bad companies but no perfect ones!
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #2

Try Blue Sky insurance for both your travel vehicle and your RV. They cut our premiums better than half over the Lizard with fultimers coverage, one hundred percent replacement coverage, and depreciation buy back. They can be reached at (866) 484-2583, x532. Ask for Jim Schecter.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #3

On this forum, go to REDWOOD RV PURCHASE DISCUSSIONS, then about 5 threads down the page, go to:" Any Suggestions on Insurance....."
Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #4

Ok Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #5

Will call Jim tomorrow, thanks a lot!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 AM   #6

I would suggest you check with several insurance carriers, depending on the state you register your truck and/or RV you'll find different carriers will have substantially different rates.
Another factor to consider...are you fulltime or not, if so make sure you add fulltimers coverage, it's the equivalent to homeowners liability for a sticks & bricks home.

We're in Florida, when we purchased our truck and RV I went shopping and found GEICO to be the best for the truck but their RV coverage was not the least expensive. BlueSky beat everyone else for the RV coverage but their rates for the truck were far from competitive. We recently got a notice from BlueSky that they were changing underwriters and the rates for the new policy were about $300 more per year so I started checking and found that GEICO was the best for comparable coverage so we now have the lizard for both truck & rig.

So, shop around, there are too many variables to say one is better than others.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:08 AM   #7

As on the road said, you have to check them out and decide for yourself. There are so may things that affect insurance. We are full time and have had several different companies in that time. They have been all with the same independent agent, but have them check every few years who has the best deal. The prices with the same company can change yearly depending on the companies record for the year. When the daughter moved to an area about a mile from our mail forwarding service we had here handle our mail. Changed our address from the mail forwarder to her address, our insurance changed because it changed zip code one number.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #8

Called Blu Sky today, Jim handles other states than mine but Kelly very helpful. Waiting for a quote.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #9

Ok that's what I understand! ZIP important. Just strange that the insurance companies care about that when you are a fulltimer and change zip several time a year.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 AM   #10
Site Team

I just did some checking for all of our stuff and it surprised me that it looks like State Farm is going to get the business. We currently have Cincinnati insurance. When I bundled up everything from the RV, business and home, State Farm is going to be saving me around $3600 per year. The charge for the Redwood is around $700
Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #11

Thats awesome Dave, party time!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 AM   #12
Site Team

Now I can afford diesel
Old 02-25-2014, 12:47 AM   #13

I hear ya, the stud is like gold!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #14

Dave,

Is that full replacement? Mine is about that price, but I only have replacement at market value, not new replacement.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #15
Site Team

I'll be finishing up the paper work this week, but yes it is for full replacement. Because of exposure in the business we over insure everything and we have umbrellas too.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 AM   #16

Cool! I keep meaning to call on mine to see what I exactly have, but by the time I reach for the phone I forget what I wanted to ask.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #17

I just understood that Cincinnatti does NOT insure full timers.

They demand a) that you have a house or a "normal" home and b) They only insure the fifth Wheel for use a few month a year, not full time.

Got that info from my Cincinnatti insurance agent today, so he recommended me to find an insurance company that does full timers. We have two bikes, another car, umbrella, truck, and the new Redwood so a lot to change.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #18

When I buy a truck and Rv in afew months; I am going with State Farm. I had checked around and they have the best coverage and rates. I have a South Dakota DL. The difference between insuring them in South Dakota and Denver is almost 35%. I have been with Farmers from 16 years of age to 64. I am now changing. I should have a long time ago.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #19

I have done a lot of research but still not received all quotes - think that Progressive seems to cover best - all veichles, full time with liability and umbrella.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #20
Site Team

I just verified my insurance for the Redwood through State-farm. $648.00 per year with $95000 replacement value and $500 deductible