Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

While I was looking for the masked bandit that might be living in my front cap, I found that there is very little insulation in the cap area and just a layer of foil bubble insulation under the floor with a vapor layer under that and so many openings for mice and cold air (in the winter) to get in. Has anyone else noticed this? When I brought my rig home the first thing I did was to open the belly and add R33 to all of the open areas and add a layer of foil bubble insulation to the sides of the frame around the tank area for better winter living. I didn't even imagine that I would have to do extra insulating in the cap area. I have added spray foam all along the frame and around all of the openings that a mouse might try to get in already so know I will have to work on the front cap and the under goose area to seal it up and keep it warm in the winter.

This is not a rant so don't get the wrong idea.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

Bryan, I was tossing the idea around about trying to winter in my coach, but after reading your post, I am not so sure now. Maybe I can bring my coach down and you can insulate mine as well! Supposed to pick it up Friday this week.

I went to the dealer yesterday to do my own form of PDI and the main thing I found wrong was the dining room table window. The opening portions of the windows were not made correctly so there is gaps all along the edges where the glass would meet the frame. Hard to explain, but basically it looks like the windows are cracked open as you can see daylight, even though they are not. I am not sure what the solution is going to be to fix this other than having to have the entire window replaced. I am also not sure how I feel about the dealer having to do the work...Waiting for a call back from them tomorrow to see how we are going to proceed as they need to contact Redwood in the morning.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #3

Dave bring it on down we'll get ya set for winter it's really not that bad. I have found that my air conditioners do not run near as much as my old trailer did after adding what little insulation that I have done so far.

Just to let you know if you are uncomfortable having your dealer do the window repair,my shop is an authorized Crossroads and Redwood service center.

If you could send me some pics I might be able to help.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Bryan, what kind of foam are you using? Is it the green stuff?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Dave it's a black foam I use under the belly and I use different foams elsewhere. It just depends on where it is going.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #6

Bryan, If I decide to winter in my coach, I will be sending you an email to discuss adding additional insulation. I admit I am a little timid when it comes to turning wrenches on a coach of this magnitude and would rather have someone who knows what they are doing guide me...

Old 07-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #7

Dave that wont be a problem just let me know. Have picked it up yet?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

Bryan, I have not picked it up yet. Supposed to be this Friday, but the shop is still working on getting everything done, extensive PDI, and all the toys added in. They are trying to get it done by Friday, but said it might not happen...