Old 02-25-2015, 01:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Last MH I had before the RW had the toppers and from Day one I hated the noise and the flopping in the wind. I was always putting in the slides when the wind was above 35mph for fear they would rip off. Nothing like two days with slides in to make you tired of the RV.
That is one nice looking setup in your signature!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:02 AM   #12

Thanks Atom, looks similar to another
I have seen on here

2015 RL38
2018 FORD F350 SRW
RWJSIM2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:19 AM   #13

As some have already mentioned, there are good and bad technicians regardless of were they work at. Now with that said, I had a bad experience at our local CW. When I still had my last motorhome, one of the slide toppers ripped, so I had CW replace it. They asked me to measure it so they could order it. I measured it three times to ensure I had it correct and gave them the measurements. When they went to install it they said I had given them the wrong size. I told them I measured the canvas three times and I am positive it is correct. One of the techs basically called me a liar in not so many words. So I when home and brought back the old canvas and told them to measure it. It was the size I told them. Then there was some tap dancing by the service department. They then said, Oh, I guess they put the wrong one on at the factory. Needless to say I am still angry from this ordeal and they knew this. Some of the service people did apologize, but the technician that basically called me a liar did not. So how did they make this situation right? They offered to order me the correct size as long as I paid for everything. I told them to put on the one that was ordered. I have never gone back to CW for any kind of service since.
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:12 AM   #14

Most of our camping is in the woods. My days of climbing a ladder to take the branches, leaves and pine needles off the roof are over. We put toppers on our slides and maybe the wind is diminished in the woods but I've never heard the toppers flap against the roof. I love them and would always put them on. The water does pond up on them but it all goes away when I pull the slides in.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
Site Team

Foxfire - same here. I have an aversion to ladders and only use one if absolutely necessary. Maybe my rig is one of the rare ones but the only time I've ever heard my toppers flap was in the middle of a godawful thunderstorm when I was seriously considering pulling the slides in and then running.

I did, however, have the dealer put an extra 2 turns of tension on them when the rig was new. I get a little puddling in heavy rains but that's about it.
If there's a next coach, it will have them too.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Foxfire - same here. I have an aversion to ladders and only use one if absolutely necessary. Maybe my rig is one of the rare ones but the only time I've ever heard my toppers flap was in the middle of a godawful thunderstorm when I was seriously considering pulling the slides in and then running.

I did, however, have the dealer put an extra 2 turns of tension on them when the rig was new. I get a little puddling in heavy rains but that's about it.
If there's a next coach, it will have them too.

Vaughn.....same here. I think the primary issue that people are having with slide toppers is incorrect installation and not enough tension on the take up roller. As indicated in previous posts, there are a lot of shop people working for these dealers and CW that are not properly trained and supervised. So, you get "shoddy" work results. In many cases, people would be better off doing the installation themselves with a helper.

We have 3 1/2 years in and over 14K miles on our 36RL. We have toppers on all 3 slides from the factory. We have not had a noise issue except in very windy conditions........we do get some water pooling and if it is excessive, I raise the front of the coach and dump the water, then re-level the coach. It takes about 5 minutes.

The only issue that we have had occurred the second summer of owning our RW. We were traveling across Kansas to Colorado. Apparently one morning, when I put in the bedroom slide, the topper did not roll up correctly and I was not being observant enough to realize that it had not rolled up correctly. During the day while in transit, it apparently partially unfurled and was shredded on one end of the topper. Surprisingly enough, when I took to the Crossroads Factory Service Center that fall for it annual inspection and other service, RW replaced the entire topper under warranty.

I love the toppers and would not be without them.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #17

I don't think I would go as far as generalizing the problem as improper installation being "primary".

Most of the misery I have seen with topper owners have nothing to do with being installed improperly, its just a the fact you have an awning that you can't retract when the weather is not conducive to having an awning out.

I have retractable awnings all over my house - and they have been up there for 12 years because they automatically know when to come in. They are for shade or protection from rain, but I would never use them as protection for a perfectly good roof. One failed to come in for an overnight snow because I over-rode the automatic controls, and I paid dearly for that when it collapsed.

To me slide toppers are like a fix to something that is not a problem, and they require additional fixes to fix the new problems created by the fix that wasn't needed to begin with. Ahh the beauty of aftermarket
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #18

I do appreciate all the ideas presented with this topic... It will greatly assist the wife and I when/if the time comes to execute this purchase...

Like some have stated I don't like ladders and am very very anxious everytime I have to climb the ladder prior to bringing in slides to ensure that nothing is on top of the slides... Based on my fears/aprehension slide toppers appear to be a method (maybe the best method) to minimize the amount of time I need to spend on a ladder...

Please continue to post your good ideas and experiences with slide toppers as it will assist us and others make this decision...
Thanks to all,

Bill n Diana

His TV: 2014 RAM 3500 MC DRW 6.7 CTD AISIN
His RV: 2014 REDWOOD 38FL (House)
Her TV: 2013 RAM 1500 CC 5.7 Hemi
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:47 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I don't think I would go as far as generalizing the problem as improper installation being "primary".

Most of the misery I have seen with topper owners have nothing to do with being installed improperly, its just a the fact you have an awning that you can't retract when the weather is not conducive to having an awning out.

I have retractable awnings all over my house - and they have been up there for 12 years because they automatically know when to come in. They are for shade or protection from rain, but I would never use them as protection for a perfectly good roof. One failed to come in for an overnight snow because I over-rode the automatic controls, and I paid dearly for that when it collapsed.

To me slide toppers are like a fix to something that is not a problem, and they require additional fixes to fix the new problems created by the fix that wasn't needed to begin with. Ahh the beauty of aftermarket
Brad
That's a lot of fixes
Personally I have had slide awnings for the last 10 years. I have not had any issues with them even in the Santa Anna winds we get. If the slope is good and tension set the water does not pool as much. I have not had a problem with them tearing in the wind. I do change them and the main awning out every 4 years or so because of the UV rays break them down. They really do help to keep leaves branches etc from getting drug into the coach when pulling in the slides as well as helping to keep it cooler in hot temps. They are like anything else if you look after them they do their job. I am still debating whether to put them on the redwood. As you said they are a lot of money to put out and maintain. To each their own
Old 02-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #20

All I can say: "Having RW put them on all three slides of our MB".
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote