Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Traveling

Idea; Elec. Wall heater in BR

Thinking ahead here, and feedback would be appreciated.

Here in Washington State (and since we will be full time) we will have several weeks of the year where the heat pumps will be unable to heat the coach. It is my assumption that using the furnace will be something we will want to minimize. The fireplace will be a good supplement for the living area, but the bedroom will need help. We were thinking of looking into installing an electric wall heater in the bedroom someplace.

It wouldn't have to be very big to supplement the heat. The electrical is right below so that should be easy. They are so quiet compared to most furnaces, although maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. I was envisioning the new infrared (silent) heaters that are so efficient and warm. I love infrared heat (as opposed to hot air).

Thoughts?
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Site Team

We use a small portable ceramic electric heater(DeLonghi DCH1030 Safeheat) in the BR. It is easy to move to other areas to use in addition to the fireplace. We also use an electric blanket. We like for our bedroom to be somewhat cool so the blanket works well for us.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Traveling

Thanks Blenhardt! Yes, we could go with portable. One more thing to stow, though. We have an electric mattress pad that we adore! LOVE getting into a toasty bed when it's cold! That is definitely going with us! We also like a cooler bedroom, but if it goes under about 60, that's too cool for us. I am thinking a small heater would take care of that for us without having to heat the entire coach with the furnace all night.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

We don't plan on camping in that kind of cold, however, we have a family room on a slab which is always cool. We use a Dyson Air Blade to help, they are only 24" tall and oscillate. Cools, too.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Site Team

The thing I like about the portable heaters are the safety built into them. I have seen where some folks have put gas heaters carved into the walls but then there's the safety issue and the C.O. levels to tend with.

Look at the small heaters designed to be used under desks for offices. Our office has several and they work well. In our book keeps department, we have a infared heater that's in a wooden box that I believe is rated for a 10X12 room. That heater works great and uses very little electricity.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

Just note that by not using the furnace, you are subjecting the underbelly space to freeze if it gets too cold. The fireplace and portable heater won't circulate heat down there.

I have a small ceramic heater (from our old rig). It gets so hot in the bedroom even on low temp I find we just don't use it, however, we haven't had a lot of experience in this redwood yet.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Just note that by not using the furnace, you are subjecting the underbelly space to freeze if it gets too cold. The fireplace and portable heater won't circulate heat down there.

I have a small ceramic heater (from our old rig). It gets so hot in the bedroom even on low temp I find we just don't use it, however, we haven't had a lot of experience in this redwood yet.

Just turn your furnace fan on to continuous run. This will circulate the heat.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Just turn your furnace fan on to continuous run. This will circulate the heat.
Ah, never even thought of that - great idea.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Traveling

x2 on the air circulation, yes we do that too. In the winter, we leave our camper plugged in with a small space heater, and just use the air circulation as another layer of safety from freezing (our furnace would suck up our propane in a very short time). I don't completely trust the antifreeze. We learned the hard way to remember to remove the water filters from under the sink. They don't fare too well ;-)
Old 05-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Thinking ahead here, and feedback would be appreciated.

Here in Washington State (and since we will be full time) we will have several weeks of the year where the heat pumps will be unable to heat the coach. It is my assumption that using the furnace will be something we will want to minimize. The fireplace will be a good supplement for the living area, but the bedroom will need help. We were thinking of looking into installing an electric wall heater in the bedroom someplace.

It wouldn't have to be very big to supplement the heat. The electrical is right below so that should be easy. They are so quiet compared to most furnaces, although maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. I was envisioning the new infrared (silent) heaters that are so efficient and warm. I love infrared heat (as opposed to hot air).

Thoughts?
The small portable 1500 watt ceramic heaters work great for the bedroom. They will put out more heat than you will ever need. That worked out quite well for us in northern Florida this past winter when the temperatures went below freezing a few nights.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #11
Traveling

So far, the ceramic heaters are looking the best because it IS such a small space, and we would really only need it a few weeks of the year. MOST of the time we are well over 40 degrees, and would <hopefully> have good result from the heat pumps/fireplace.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
So far, the ceramic heaters are looking the best because it IS such a small space, and we would really only need it a few weeks of the year. MOST of the time we are well over 40 degrees, and would <hopefully> have good result from the heat pumps/fireplace.
At temperatures down to 40*, the fireplace does a very nice job. You can easily keep the living room at 65 to 70 degrees. This past winter, stayed at a park that had a flat monthly rate; did not charge separately for electric. So, we used a lot of electric.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
Traveling

Thanks Guy and Phyllis; I will be so thrilled if we can use the fireplace more, this helps. Someday, we may look into switching out the fireplace into one of the infrared models, but not sure on that yet. If it gets he job done, then GREAT!! Usually it's only during the night that temperatures in the winter get really low (like everywhere else) so hopefully we'll be ok.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Guy and Phyllis; I will be so thrilled if we can use the fireplace more, this helps. Someday, we may look into switching out the fireplace into one of the infrared models, but not sure on that yet. If it gets he job done, then GREAT!! Usually it's only during the night that temperatures in the winter get really low (like everywhere else) so hopefully we'll be ok.
The fireplace was kinda of an afterthought when we ordered our Redwood. I thought it was a rather expensive option, but, my wife talked me into getting it and I am glad she did.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #15

As a full timer in MT. We found that the bed room is hot and the living room cool. We have to use our propane heat to keep water lines from freezing. And will be getting a 100# for sure. we will be using a oil filled radiator heater also. (have wintered in MN.KS.WY.in our other rigs it is a challenge)
Duke & Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
Site Team

TNTBaker,

I see you are located in Washington State. We will be visiting near Fort Lewis in August and September. Our daughter and son-in-law are stationed at Fort Lewis. We have a granddaughter that is looking forward to seeing Grandma and Grandpa.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #17

I wish there was a thermostat in the basement so I could set it for 40 and not have to worry. I'm a bit leery of putting a ceramic heater in the basement, but I suppose it would be ok.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #18
Traveling

I think I am ok with having a heater in the basement as long as it has a thermostat and a good safety shutoff, which most of the do now.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #19
Site Team

When I travel in the winter, I run with the generator on so I can run a heater in the basement, the water heater on and the fireplace on. This keep everything cozy while I'm motoring down the highway.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #20

Dave,
Just curious, wouldn't the furnace actually be a little more efficient on LP than the genny?