Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Ice Maker water line, does anyone know.

We have a 38RL Redwood. Discovered a pin hole leak in the water line for the fridge. As luck would have I was able to turn off the water under the sink. At least Redwood was thinking about this.

Anyway looking outside I noticed in the slide there is an insulated water line going back into the utility Bay. Does anyone know what this line goes too?

Appreciate all replies.

JT
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #2

On our 2015 38rl, we have chased several ice maker line leaks. On the third leak, I replaced the entire line instead of another splice. The last time, I put the new poly line INSIDE of a vinyl hose for extra protection against rubbing and kinking.

The line runs from the ice maker on the freezer, down to and along the wire support on the slide outside (thats the insulated part). It runs through the belly and then up through the floor to inside the kitchen island (our spice cabinet) and then to a shut-off under the sink.

This is a very common problem. If you do a quick search on the forums, there are a lot of other people with the same problem.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilFawlty View Post
On our 2015 38rl, we have chased several ice maker line leaks. On the third leak, I replaced the entire line instead of another splice. The last time, I put the new poly line INSIDE of a vinyl hose for extra protection against rubbing and kinking.

The line runs from the ice maker on the freezer, down to and along the wire support on the slide outside (thats the insulated part). It runs through the belly and then up through the floor to inside the kitchen island (our spice cabinet) and then to a shut-off under the sink.

This is a very common problem. If you do a quick search on the forums, there are a lot of other people with the same problem.
Does the line go directly to the fridge or does it go to a valve in the wall and separate hose to the fridge?
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

I should preface this with the fact we have the residential fridge. I'm also not currently at the RV. As I recall, there was a "Chinese finger trap" splice behind the bottom drawer of the cabinet next to the fridge. If there wasn't, there is now!
Old 09-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
I should preface this with the fact we have the residential fridge. I'm also not currently at the RV. As I recall, there was a "Chinese finger trap" splice behind the bottom drawer of the cabinet next to the fridge. If there wasn't, there is now!
So, in other words I have turned off the water line under the sink and that cuts off the ice maker? There are no other lines like this in the trailer correct?

I will simply leave it shut off and not use the ICE MAKER in the Residential Fridge.

I hate water leaks. I was lucky on this one, before any damage was done.

We have a portable Ice Maker and will use that from now on!

Thanks for the reply.

JT
Old 09-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

i had issues with my water line as well. First, i have to add that my leak was outside under the slide, so it wasn't really a threat to inside water damage. But, i tried cutting out the leak and joining the two new ends with a brass connector, that worked temporarily, but the connector wasn't strong enough and was end up coming loss after a move. i ended up replacing the entire length of 1/4 inch refer tubing. you can find it at lowes or home depot for rather cheap. The replacement job was time consuming but i haven't had any problems since then!
Bjesquivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 AM   #7

I replaced mine on my 2015 31SL with a 1500 psi stainless steel ice maker hose to get away from poly and plastic hoses. Have had no problems since.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #8

what was the lenght on the new stainless hose i have 1 to replace also just like to keep things fixed as much as possible going to hd or lowes today?
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:52 AM   #9

It was a 20' stainless steel ice maker hose from Lowes.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
what was the lenght on the new stainless hose i have 1 to replace also just like to keep things fixed as much as possible going to hd or lowes today?
i have found 15' braided stainless ice maker line

wonder if any one has measured the old line that came out of there? approx,

and also pex 1/4" line,is pretty tough also from amazon

which is better quality

and also the air line used in airbags or compressor line is better than the

junk el cheapo OEM poly stuff which split

like the idea to sleeve the line to prevent kinks

see that this would freeze when it gets cold as it is uninsulated

2012 36RE
karl b .
austin tx
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #11

Water Line Products?

Quote:

Do you have the sizes of the poly line and vinyl hose you used and where did you get it?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 10-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT & BT View Post
Do you have the sizes of the poly line and vinyl hose you used and where did you get it?

Thanks,

Jeff
The poly line is 1/4 inch outside diameter and the vinyl line was just whatever the poly line fit inside of... Maybe 1/2 inch outside diameter? Not sure on that one but that sounds about right as I drilled out the hole going through the floor to accommodate it and the largest drill I have is half inch.

Both are available at any hardware or home improvement store. I think I got mine at Home Depot.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #13

Do You remember how much you used, approx. total length? Also, is the Vinyl Line Grey in color?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Do You remember how much you used, approx. total length? Also, is the Vinyl Line Grey in color?

Thanks,
Jeff
Unfortunately, I do not remember the length and I am not currently at the RV. The poly line is quite inexpensive and often comes pre-packaged as it is used for normal bricks-n-sticks homes as well.

The vinyl line I used was the clear flexible stuff. I added it to help protect the poly line from abrasion and kinks. Other material may work just as well.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #15

Icemaker line connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy & Ray Keen View Post
I replaced mine on my 2015 31SL with a 1500 psi stainless steel ice maker hose to get away from poly and plastic hoses. Have had no problems since.
I'm on my 4th leak in the icemaker line under the sink of my 2015 38RL. I'm finally going to replace the plastic with the braided stainless steel. I can see how to connect to the under sink valve, but how is the residential refrigerator connection made? Do I have to pull the 'frige out to access the back? Mine is a Samsung.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW Cal View Post
I'm on my 4th leak in the icemaker line under the sink of my 2015 38RL. I'm finally going to replace the plastic with the braided stainless steel. I can see how to connect to the under sink valve, but how is the residential refrigerator connection made? Do I have to pull the 'frige out to access the back? Mine is a Samsung.
I wish I knew how much length you need to replace with a braided stainless steel line. I have seen lengths up to 25 ft., with the proper pressurized ends, but I'm thinking it would be more than 25 ft. to snake that line from the sink to the outside of the RV and back into the slide and then to the Fridge. And yes, you will have to pull the Fridge out to get access to the connector on the back.

Mine is still under warranty and I'm gonna have my dealer look at replacing the existing plastic line with the braided stainless steel. I'll buy the material and they can weave it up into the RV and under the sink.

Right now, I have the water turned off and not using the Ice Maker or Water in the door. We also purchased a portable ice maker that sits on the counter for our ice needs.

I'll keep the group posted as to what I have done!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:03 AM   #17

Quote:
I wish I knew how much length you need to replace with a braided stainless steel line. I have seen lengths up to 25 ft., with the proper pressurized ends, but I'm thinking it would be more than 25 ft. to snake that line from the sink to the outside of the RV and back into the slide and then to the Fridge. And yes, you will have to pull the Fridge out to get access to the connector on the back.

Mine is still under warranty and I'm gonna have my dealer look at replacing the existing plastic line with the braided stainless steel. I'll buy the material and they can weave it up into the RV and under the sink.

Right now, I have the water turned off and not using the Ice Maker or Water in the door. We also purchased a portable ice maker that sits on the counter for our ice needs.

I'll keep the group posted as to what I have done!
Any update on this JT & BT? I have a 38RL and want to do the stainless steel upgrade. Wondering if the 25ft line will work or not?

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #18
TnB

I have a 36FB. The 25 foot braided hose only reached to the middle of my slide out, but that's okay. I cut the original line under the slideout and inserted a brass t connection. The braided hose connector attached to one end of th t connector and the original plastic line connected to the other via a compression fitting.

When we are traveling, the middle of the T is capped off and I use city water or tank water.

When at our permanent site, the reverse osmosis line from the casita is connected to the T and the faucet under the sink is turned off. RO water goes to the ice maker.

When winterizing, the cap on the T connector can be removed to blow out the line.

I couldn't find a crimping tool that would allow me to put a connector on the braided line. The use of the T connector solved this problem.
2015 RW 36FB w/GY 114 "H" tires, disc brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide, Furrion wireless backup camera
TnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #19

We just got our 38RL back from the Dealer last week. I had them install a new water line, which took 3 guys about 2 hours to get it done.

I provided them with (2) 20 ft. sections of reinforced ice maker water line I got from Lowes. I don't know what the total length was, but they said they used both pieces.

I now have a water line that works better than the CHEAP Chinese Plastic Tubing Redwood originally installed. The water flow is better to the Fridge Tap and the ICE MAKER works better as well.
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #20
HTX

Why does the line have to go to the island?

When this fridge goes the next one will have an ice maker. Is there any reason it can't run from the fridge to the basement and tap into the water system downstream from the filter?