Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #1

OK, we spent the extra couple of hundred dollars on the ice maker that's installed in the four door Norcold Ultraline 1210 fridge. Was it a good investment? Not yet.

Seems that we are not getting enough water to the ice maker because when the cubes (not really cubes) drop they are very small and hollow. That tells me that the automatic valve that fills it with water is cutting off too soon and not allowing the 'ice tray' to fill completely.

Does anyone else have the ice maker? Have you had any problems with the operation? Any suggestions??

I contacted Thetford customer service and they say "go to the dealer" for a fix. I would rather not. Maybe I'm imagining things but when I take my36RL for service, it comes out with other things not working that were working when I took it in. May be a good way to keep the factory warranty repair money coming? Naw... they wouldn't do that!
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #2

Our Dometic did the same thing initially. After running it for a week though it now makes whole ice cubes. In our case believe the water line was not full.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #3

That is helpful! Gives us hope.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

We had a problem initially with no water going to the ice maker, part of our inspection at the dealership, a technician found a valve turned off on the water feed line, turned the valve and presto, ice. It does not make ice as fast as my portable ice machine. I bought one of those portable ice machines that you just add water, and in 8-10 min you start having ice. That machine makes 23-26 lbs of ice a day. I carry it with us as you never have enough ice for drinks!!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #5

What brand is your portable ice machine?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #6

We used a portable ice for 2 years until it gave up, then we ordered our Redwood with the ice maker but in hopefully it will keep up. If does not keep up I will remove the ice maker in the freezer and buy another stand alone ice maker.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #7

I am aware of only one valve for the ice maker and it's located under the kitchen sink. It's open and working fine. Is there another valve that I should be checking?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Grandpa

Their could be one on the back of your unit...if you cnan grt to it
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #9

look on the back side of the coach where the refrigerator vents, there is a valve in there. Our tech opened the valve and then did a reset on the ice maker from that location
Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #10

Is there possibly a water filter to the ice maker, that might be clogged or the water line may be pinched.

Lillyputz
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #11

Good thought. The only filter that I am aware of is the 'whole house' filter that came with the unit. If it was clogged it would reduce the water pressure throughout. I can only see the hose from the back of the fridge for about a foot or so and some of the hose that connects under the kitchen sink near the valve. It is a plastic hose so if there's a pinch it's located where I can't see it. I'm going to remove the hose from the back of the fridge and drain itto see if there's a foreign object blocking the flow.

There's also an automatic fill valve on the back. I wonder if it's adjustable.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Site Team

The only filter on the 36RL in the whole house filter. As you said the valve is under the sink and if you ever winterize your unit....you have to remember to also winterize that line too. My ice maker is working great with full size ice cubes.....Good luck
Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
Good thought.Â* The only filter that I am aware of is the 'whole house' filter that came with the unit.Â* If it was clogged it would reduce the water pressure throughout.Â* I can only see the hose from the back of the fridge for about a foot or so and some of the hose that connects under the kitchen sink near the valve.Â* It is a plastic hose so if there's a pinch it's located where I can't see it.Â* I'm going to remove the hose from the back of the fridge and drain itÂ*to see if there's a foreign object blocking the flow.Â*
There's also an automatic fill valve on the back.Â* I wonder if it's adjustable.
The blue water valve is not adjustable that I know of, it is controlled by the ice maker.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #14

My wife bought it for me a few years back, made by windchaser products.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #15

Our ice maker is working well too. Not very quick but the ice cubes are just like ours at home!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #16

My ice maker is working very well, I have cycled it several times to get rid of the new tank taste. it is not very fast but it gets the job done. It makes ICE.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
Site Team

Note to self......push arm of ice maker up (turning it off) otherwise the freezer fills with ice while driving down the road if pump isn't turned off. Also.....that strange noise.......yep that's the ice maker not something wrong with the trailer.

As my family says while they're looking with amazement at my Redwood.......amazing what money can buy!

« SPAM SUCKS | Hitch »