Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #21

I'm at home in St Louis until late this month I put a Residential unit in along with 28 bottle wine cooler and induction cooktop
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechguyjim View Post
I'm at home in St Louis until late this month I put a Residential unit in along with 28 bottle wine cooler and induction cooktop
Jim, let me see how this weekend goes. Next week I'll be working in the Metro east area.....I'll see about meeting up for lunch. Do you know anyone in that area wanting a sales job?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #23

I'll ask around is it working for you? Love to have lunch I've got a Baron coming in tomorrow but after that I can work on it when I want to
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #24

Yep ....."Going to an RV show can be costly" Ask me how I know......ordered our 39MB at the Richmond (Va) R V show in Feb. when we just went "to look". At least I made a personal contact with the regional (Redwood) factory rep. there & feel good that if there are any issues that I have direct line of communication.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechguyjim View Post
I'll ask around is it working for you? Love to have lunch I've got a Baron coming in tomorrow but after that I can work on it when I want to

Baron....is one sexy bird. I got to hitch a ride during an IFR test and fell in love. I'll be working in the east St Louis area next week. I'll give you a call.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
Yep ....."Going to an RV show can be costly" Ask me how I know......ordered our 39MB at the Richmond (Va) R V show in Feb. when we just went "to look". At least I made a personal contact with the regional (Redwood) factory rep. there & feel good that if there are any issues that I have direct line of communication.
Life is short and good health is only temporary....have fun while you can.

I had a friend of mine die a couple of years ago who had a net worth in the area of 57 million dollars. Funny thing is.....he looked like every other stiff laying in the coffin and more than likely his money will be piddled away by his kids who were all fighting for the last penny.

I did learn a lot from him.......and he said I opened his eyes to a few things as well. Life is short
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #27

I have heard that to un-vapor lock a fridge, you can try running it down a rough road for a few miles. if that doesn't work, take it and turn it over end a few times. Don't know if it really works or not. I just bought a new residential fridge instead.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
I have heard that to un-vapor lock a fridge, you can try running it down a rough road for a few miles. if that doesn't work, take it and turn it over end a few times. Don't know if it really works or not. I just bought a new residential fridge instead.

If I thought I was going to keep this 5th wheel, I'd do the same thing. This weekend will be a determining factor. If we like the way the MH drives we might make a deal of we could wait for the Hersey show.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #29

Cmon now, I've had RV fridges for 25 years, long before residential fridges were even a thought in a camper, and never had an issue. Don't dream up issues just because you are trading off. Something may have gone wrong but not just because you jacked the front.

Most of the complaints here have been about the POS residential fridge design in these.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:40 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Cmon now, I've had RV fridges for 25 years, long before residential fridges were even a thought in a camper, and never had an issue. Don't dream up issues just because you are trading off. Something may have gone wrong but not just because you jacked the front.

Most of the complaints here have been about the POS residential fridge design in these.
I don't have to dream up problems that end up costing me money

"Damage can occur in only 20 minutes if a refrigerator is left running parked on a steep slope. If you are just traveling and going into a restaurant or the store, for instance, and you believe you are not level, then simply turn the refrigerator off and just remember to turn it back on when you return. Being level is not an issue when you are driving on the road, even in the mountains."
Old 04-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post

Well I've had a Dometic heat tube develop a hole and leak out all the ammonia (which is highly flammable by the way). If it wasn't for the recall it had which installed a shutoff switch for that reason we could've lost the rig and maybe our lives since the leak occurred during the night. The replacement cost me $1200 and I installed myself. This was an 8 Cu Ft unit not the larger like we have in the Redwood. A much larger residential refrigerator could be purchased for 1/3 of that price and if it quits it is usually not death threatening. When this leak occurred the fifth wheel was only 7 years old. Last year a friend of mine with a Motorhome had his identical Norcold fail and when he went outside to check why it wasn't working properly, he found burned wood framing on his motorhome and believes he prevented a catastrophe just in time. He switched to the residential refrigerator. These may be isolated incidents but they could also have cost lives. I welcome the switch to residential and down the road plan to convert mine or trade for a new fifth wheel with that option. I think they need to work out the inverter and battery bugs but some motorhome manufacturers have been offering this option for years.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Correction! Ammonia is not flammable. Ammonia vapor is flammable in a very narrow range of concentration with air.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Last week I was looking at my generator and since I got tired of stooping down, I raised the nose of the trailer high. Even though the refrigerator was empty, I had it on.........I left it like that for about 4 days. OOPS...... The heat exchanger is toast!

I've gotten quotes ranging from $1400-$2000. My next unit will have the residential refrigerator.
Sorry to hear about the mishap. Let us know how the new residential frig works out. My EE background wonders if the RV frig's could have an interlock that would prevent such mishaps (could cost another $1.00!!).
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:05 AM   #34
Site Team

Well.......the fridge is working agin. I pulled the trailer about 6 hours today down a nice bumpy road with it turned off. After I got to the campground I turned it on and left. When we returned we were thrilled to see it was working agin. I guess it was vapor locked like others on here had suggested
Old 04-11-2015, 03:13 AM   #35

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Good news
Now you Don have to drink warm beer and mammas wine will stay chilled
Old 04-11-2015, 03:25 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
Sorry to hear about the mishap. Let us know how the new residential frig works out. My EE background wonders if the RV frig's could have an interlock that would prevent such mishaps (could cost another $1.00!!).

Isn't that amazing. You are right about the safety interlock. At the price they demand for these RV refrigerators, they should cool, cook and do the dish washing. If these absorption type refrigerators are that sensitive, they absolutely should be safety interlocked.

I happen to have a Dometic RM1350 RV, dual power, electric/LP refrigerator w/o icemaker. I was just looking on the internet to see what the prices are on this model.........anywhere from $2800. to $3900 depending on features. I have never even paid half that much for a residential refrigerator!!! Maybe I am just too cheap!!!

By the way, you indicated that you were a EE. Before retiring, I worked for 52 years as an electronics technician, engineering technician and electrical/electronics engineer. Glad to see another EE on the forum.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:27 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Good news
Now you Don have to drink warm beer and mammas wine will stay chilled
We're in the wine now! The fridge working is a BIG burden off my mind.

I'm usually the type that fixes things and I could believe I had screwed the thing up so bad.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
We're in the wine now! The fridge working is a BIG burden off my mind.

I'm usually the type that fixes things and I could believe I had screwed the thing up so bad.
That's so great. Enjoy spring.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #39

Hey is Dave&Ginny still a member of this group or did he move to a motorhome now? I am curious how raising the nose of the rig with reefer on hurts it. Can anyone fill me in on this?
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #40

Dave is still here frequently. He did trade up for a new Entegra MH. Yes he thought he fried his Norcold refer by raising the front of his RW too long to work on batteries and stuff. Not sure if he left it that way for a few hours or it was a few days. After a week or so of sitting turned off and leveled I think it was working again before his trade.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote