Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #1

Hi all. We are first time RV'ers (Redwood 36FL) and are having a hard time figuring out how to keep the temperature regulated in the RV. We did not receive a manual for the thermostats and haven't been able to find it online. As far as I know, we have two AC units but apparently, we also have a Heat Pump - which I am not familiar with at all. We have 2 thermostats. One is labeled RVComfort.HP and the other RVComfort.AC Coleman Mack (both are black and digital). For the Heat Pump (HP) thermostat in kitchen there are 3 switches - one for "Auto" and "On", another for "cool"/"off"/"gas heat"/"electric heat" and the third for fan "low" and "hi". The Living room thermostat is labeled as AC with 3 switches - one for "Auto"/"On", another for "Cool"/"Off, and the third for fan "Off"/"On".

I understand how to the set temp on thermostats but would really appreciate someone explaining how the the heating/cooling system works generally and how folks would suggest setting the thermostats to provide the most energy efficient regulated indoor temp (i.e. having the heat pump as the primary heat/cooling source). Is there a way to set it up so that the system automatically maintains a somewhat constant indoor temp e.g.) the heating and cooling kicks in automatically.

Thanks all. Edited by: Oregonbound
Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

The heat pump is on the thermostat in the kitchen. To run the heat pump use "electric heat".The heat pump will only work down to around 40 degrees, after that the thermostat will automatically switch over to gas heat. We normally use the heat pump when ever possible.

The "Auto and On" is for the circulation fan in the unit. If it set to "On", the fan will run continuously if there is a call for heating or cooling or not. In "Auto" the fan will only run when there is a call for heating or cooling.

The"Hi & Low" are for the fan circulation speeds.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

Well, here's one opinion... It took us months to get it right. We have the same set up withone heat pump for the living area of our 36RL. We leave the heater on 'electric' most of the time because the heat pump is only effective until the temperature reaches around 40 degrees outside. If the temp drops below 40 the gas heat kicks in to suppliment the heatpump. We keep the fan set on Hi so the air circulation is maximized.

In the hot months, we use both AC's running full blast! We ordered the double pane windows on our 36RL which really helps insulate from the Texas heat and humidity outside.

Basically, you use the thermostats like you would at home but finding your comfortable balance may take a little trial and error.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #4

We opted for 2 heat pumps here in Colorado. Love them.

As said above, if the heat pump doesn't keep up, eventually the furnace comes on, regardless of which heat position the switch is in.

Interestingly enough, I have learned 2 things that could impact you!

1) Shut them off going down the road. Forgot to shut off the living area heat pump when we hitched up. Stopped at a truck stop about 6 hours later and heard the furnace running. It started automatically when it realized no heat pump because no AC.

2) Decide who, between you and the spouse, is going to be in charge
of the thermostats. We created the most inefficient delta possible because when I found the living room heat pump on trying to offset the bedroom AC that was also running full blast.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

There is no way that you can set a temp. and have it automatically switch from heat to cool. You have to switch from one to the other on the thermostat.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

Well that's not completely accurate. Agree that the thermostats that Redwood installs have to be switched manually between heating and cooling; however, Honeywell, as well as a number of other manufacturers do have thermostats that allow you to set a tempeture and switch automatically between heat and cooling.

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #7

Thanks very much for the clarity. Our dealer I thought said it would automatically switch between heating and cooling (which would be ideal here in Montana where it can be 90 during the day and 50 at night. Guess I'll just have to spend a few seconds at the thermostat each am and pm.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #8

Thanks Adamsvr...will look into it.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr
Well that's not completely accurate. Agree that the thermostats that Redwood installs have to be switched manually between heating and cooling; however, Honeywell, as well as a number of other manufacturers do have thermostats that allow you to set a tempeture and switch automatically between heat and cooling.
I looked at doing that, but I couldn't find any that would allow for the 2-sp AC. I would just have to go to high.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #10

Atom Ant, maybe these instructions might help:

http://yarchive.net/car/rv/rv_thermostat_rewire.html
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #11

I agree there are many different thermostats out there that perform differently. The only problem is finding one that will work the way you want it to, and be compatible with your system and wiring. Our Carriage had a Carrier heat pump which was operated with a remote control. The only other control was an emergency button on the unit that would engage it, but you had no settings.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #12

Another basic but important question - Do the 2 thermostats control 1 AC unit each, do they both control both AC units, or does only one control both units. Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #13

We have a 36rl and the control for the living room is just right of the entry door on the staircase wall. It controls the rear air for both heat pump and a/c and is the main control for the floor heat in the entire coach. The bedroom control in the hall just inside the bedroom door controls the front a/c for cooling only on our coach…no heat pump. Hope this helps. I will say this, if you are in the coachs entry area the location of both a/cs make it sound like they are both on. It's hard to tell by the sound. Hope this helps
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #14

It does, thanks Toby. I suspect it is the same in ours even with the FL floor plan
Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #15

In the FL, the thermostat in the Living Room controls the forward A/C unit and the thermostat in the kitchen controls the rear A/C + heat pump.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr
Atom Ant, maybe these instructions might help:

http://yarchive.net/car/rv/rv_thermostat_rewire.html
Thanks Adamsvr. I read through this, and still not sure if you loose the option for a 2 speed fan or not. It mentions it upfront, but then I don't see it mentioned again.