Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #1

Hot and Cold heat.

We have a 2012 36RE that the heat sometimes comes out warm and sometimes cold. I thought that the pilot light was out but the next time it cycled heat came out. Any suggestions?
Mr Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barkley View Post
We have a 2012 36RE that the heat sometimes comes out warm and sometimes cold. I thought that the pilot light was out but the next time it cycled heat came out. Any suggestions?

Every furnace cycle, the blower will run for 20 to 30 seconds until the furnace control board determines that that the blower is running (sail switch is closed). During that interval, the blower is blowing cold air. When the control board determines that the sail switch is closed, the gas valve opens and the ignition process is initiated and then you will start to get warm air. If ignition does not occur, the control board will attempt the process two more times and then shut down the furnace. At that point, you will have to reset the furnace at the thermostat by turning the switch to off. Some control boards may automatically attempt another ignition sequence after a delay of 60 minutes before finally shutting down.

When you check your air temperature coming from the register, be sure to allow at least 30 seconds to determine if the furnace is heating. Generally, if you stand quietly inside near the furnace location, you can hear the furnace burner ignite.

If the burner is not always igniting, the burner may need to be serviced.

I have a 2012 36RL (built in 2011) and my furnace failed this past winter (would not run). I had to replace the control board.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

The only thing I would add to what Guy said is that they also go through a cool down period before shut-off. It will be normal to blow cool (room temp feels cool) for a minute or two then shut off.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I ended up turning the system off at the thermostat and waiting a few minutes before turning back on to the heat setting. After a brief lapse the heat came on and has been working fine since. We arrived in Skagway, Alaska last week for our summer Workamper position. With temps in the 20's and 30's heat is very important to keep the wife toasty warm!
Mr Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Barkley View Post
Thanks for the information. I ended up turning the system off at the thermostat and waiting a few minutes before turning back on to the heat setting. After a brief lapse the heat came on and has been working fine since. We arrived in Skagway, Alaska last week for our summer Workamper position. With temps in the 20's and 30's heat is very important to keep the wife toasty warm!
Glad to hear that the furnace is heating again.

I might add that after changing/filling your LP tanks, you may need to bleed air from the gas lines. The easiest way to do that is to use the stove top burners and light each one for a few seconds. Once those burners stay ignited, the air is purged.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote