Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

Does anyone have problems with holding tanks readouts? Our 2013 home has all liquid tanks constantly showing 2/3, even when empty. I always empty when full, run water through black tank, use big blue to keep odor down and still readouts are at2/3. Any sugestions? You guys are great in helping out, Thank you all!
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Team

After I dump and thoroughly rinse the black tank, I add two "Cascade with Dawn Action Pacs for dishwashers" to the stool with about three or four gallons of water. The theory is to further wash the holding tank sensors with a soap while traveling. I seems to help.

One recent problem that I have had is the black tank valve getting harder to open. I just receuntly bought some "Valve lubricant" and am currently trying it. Don't know if it is helping yet.Edited by: Blenhardt
Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Blenhardt ~ is it possible that the Dishwasher pacs are taking all natural lubrications out and the seals are getting dry on valave ? Just a thought. I know if / when we washed a boat down with dawn or joy, it took all of the plastcizors (sp) out of the canvas and vinyls and continued use would make them stiff ......

Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

John, one of my tanks were reading 2/3 always -even though I'm diligent about our tanks like you. I had Redwood techs look at this when I had it back for rally. After trying everything for a hour, they pulled belly pan down and found out the leads from the monitor to the "2/3" and "empty" sending units were switched. That fixed that.

Next, the tank fitting on the fresh water tank drain broke - which flooded the front belly pan & soaked the sending units for black & fresh water tanks. One read 2/3 and the other read full while the tanks were both empty. After I pulled belly pan down fixed leak & dried everything, they returned to normal. So wet connections could do it.

While I had the belly pan down, I noticed Redwood production had trapped one of the sending unit wires when they glued in the sewer pipe into the black water tank. It still works so "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" is my mantra now. Ha Ha
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #5

Thanks guys, even tho I am very diligent too, all 4 readouts read exactly the same. We use water softener and Big Blue tank treatment, its no use. I got another four months before we see yearly service, and hope they can figure it out. For my curiousity, are sending units inside tanks? Thanks again and as always, Happy Traveling!
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperguy
Blenhardt ~ is it possible that the Dishwasher pacs are taking all natural lubrications out and the seals are getting dry on valave ? Just a thought. I know if / when we washed a boat down with dawn or joy, it took all of the plastcizors (sp) out of the canvas and vinyls and continued use would make them stiff ......

Piperguy, Thanks for the reply. That may be what is happening. When we first started using the

RW the black tank valve was easy to open. I will go back to using Calgon water softner and see if that helps.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #7

Ours too misreads the levels in the tanks. The only time it didn't was when we had them pumped with a vacuum honey wagon.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #8

We have the same problem with the holding tanks monitor panel. Black and gray have always read 1/3 after dumping and rinsing. Called Brian and he said it was residual build up on the sensors. when it gets warmer outside I,ll pull the pan and take a peek. Would like to resolve this because things like this make me wonder. Over forty years of camping and now I have to worry about so many forum issues. We love our coach and luckily we don't pull it yet, what's going to happen when we reach that stage? Good luck with your search for a remedy.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Site Team

There's a chemical that you can buy at Walmart that cleans the sensors. It's just part of the RV maintenance that every RV has to contend with.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #10

Dave,

Does the Walmart product clean gray and black sensors? Do you have a name of the product?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Site Team

It cleans all sensors. It's a powder that you pour into the tank with some water and go for a drive. At your next stop they're as good as new. For the black water tank.....you can also drain it tnad then put 5 gallons of water in the tank along with 5 pounds of ice. Go for a long drive, the ice rubbing against the sensors cleans them. It's usually the lower sensors that get gunked up since they are the ones under water all the time.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #12

You can also throw a couple of bags of ice in the Black tank before you head down the road and as it slides around inside it will give the tank a good cleaning
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #13

We had some problems with sensors with our old camper. I flushed the tanks and filled with two to three gallons of water with a small bag of ice. As you travel the ice will clean your tank sensors and tank sides and just flush the tanks again at the next campground. Worked great for us and our sensors always worked fine. Dennis
ezgo-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #14

okay, Dave,

you posted a tease on Walmart cleaner by not posting the name of the product. I mentioned this to my husband and instantly was asked for its name. Fess up.
maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie
okay, Dave,

you posted a tease on Walmart cleaner by not posting the name of the product. I mentioned this to my husband and instantly was asked for its name. Fess up.

Wait a minute here, you expect me to give out all my information for free?.......I'm only kidding, it's made by Thetford and it's called "Level Gauge Cleaner".