Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Holding Tank Chemicals

Hello Folks:

My Wife and I are returning to RV'ing after 7 years.

We purchased our REDWOOD 38RL Last month and should be taking delivery of it in about a week (from the factory).

We would like to know what is or are the best holding tank chemicals available and what works the best.

Look forward to all replies.

Thanks,
JT
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:39 AM   #2

We use the Campa Chem powder packs bought at Walmart, been using them the last 7 1/2 years fulltiming, is the best??? I rinse the black tank several times & pour in some el cheapo hand soap & rinse again, add powder with a couple gals of water & viola! Usually don't use anything in the grey tanks. Never had an odor in the rv, so I think you just have find what works for you.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:13 AM   #3

RV Chemicals

Thanks for the Reply. I'll look that up.

When we were RVing a few years back. We used to Clean the black tank with Detergent and Bleach. There is a recipe online someplace. But, pretty basic:

Rinse the black tank, add one cup of bleach, one cup of cheapo liquid laundry soap and then poor in 5 gallons of water. Going down the road the liquid sloshes and cleans very well. What is good about this is, it helps to break up the solids that get trapped in the corners. Next time you stop, flush the tank with clean water and your tank is clean! And you're good for some time. We never had any odiferous problems.

The grey tank, I would use a little bit of bleach and liquid soap, maybe once every 10 flushes.

We found doing this on our own, verses buying a fragrancey expensive liquid was the best way.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT & BT View Post
Hello Folks:

My Wife and I are returning to RV'ing after 7 years.

We purchased our REDWOOD 38RL Last month and should be taking delivery of it in about a week (from the factory).

We would like to know what is or are the best holding tank chemicals available and what works the best.

Look forward to all replies.

Thanks,
JT
Thank you for the tip. And welcome to the family!!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #5

I use Happy Camper, it's a powder.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #6

I have looked at that on the internet. Does it come in packets? I see it says 18 or 24 treatments.

Appreciate a reply.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #7

Jeff,

Not sure. I buy a 40oz tub, that has a 1oz scoop. The tub last about a year for us. We average about 4 months or so in the rig.

BTW, I do add it to the grey tanks on occasion.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT & BT View Post
Thanks for the Reply. I'll look that up.

When we were RVing a few years back. We used to Clean the black tank with Detergent and Bleach. There is a recipe online someplace. But, pretty basic:

Rinse the black tank, add one cup of bleach, one cup of cheapo liquid laundry soap and then poor in 5 gallons of water. Going down the road the liquid sloshes and cleans very well. What is good about this is, it helps to break up the solids that get trapped in the corners. Next time you stop, flush the tank with clean water and your tank is clean! And you're good for some time. We never had any odiferous problems.

The grey tank, I would use a little bit of bleach and liquid soap, maybe once every 10 flushes.

We found doing this on our own, verses buying a fragrancey expensive liquid was the best way.
If it worked before it will work again. Sounds like this is not your first rodeo so use what works for you. There are all kinds of chemicals out there that do the job for a price. As long as there is no smell coming back into the trailer whatever you are using is working
Old 08-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #9

We are using septic friendly laundry detergent and laundry soda. The last two campgrounds we were in asked that we not use anything in the tanks that contained bleach or harsh chemicals that would cause issues with the septic tanks. A camp worker told us they use this "geo" method and have been for 10 years. So... started using it, a cup of each every time i flush the system. My sensors are staying clean and no smell so far in July and August, the worst months. Both boxes are inexpensive and will last a season or more easily.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
We are using septic friendly laundry detergent and laundry soda. The last two campgrounds we were in asked that we not use anything in the tanks that contained bleach or harsh chemicals that would cause issues with the septic tanks. A camp worker told us they use this "geo" method and have been for 10 years. So... started using it, a cup of each every time i flush the system. My sensors are staying clean and no smell so far in July and August, the worst months. Both boxes are inexpensive and will last a season or more easily.
Thanks Skip:
I knew there was a name for it, (GEO Method), just couldn't remember it. We had allot of luck with it, kept everything clean.

RV parks that don't want harsh chemicals in their systems are probably using an (ANAEROBIC SYSTEM) meaning they have live bacteria in their holding tanks to help break down waste. We have the same thing in Louisiana. They don't want all the really nasty chemicals in their systems, since it will kill the bacteria and hurt their systems.

Other RV parks that are on a city or other system, don't care what you dump down the drain, since it goes into a large processing plant.

As a note: Using the GEO system is really a safe method and doesn't cause harm to any septic systems, since you are using allot of water to flush the system and will dilute the bleach considerably.

Take Care,

Jeff
Old 08-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #11

Jeff. agree. So far so good. When not using the rig for a couple weeks, that first flush was a bad one. Haven't had that issue with this method yet.
USN Retired

Old 08-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #12
Site Team

Skip ~ could you send me a PM with the brands of stuff you're using ?

Also - we're headed back to Mama Gerties in October for the leaves if you all are free...
Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #13

I too would be interested in what products. Maybe post them here?
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #14

Sure. I use Sun brand laundry detergent (septic safe and cheap) and Arm and Hammer laundry soda (has to be soda to keep from foaming up). Both bought at Wally World. A cup of each with a bowl full of water and them more water as usual. Should last a season or more.
USN Retired

Old 08-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #15
Site Team

Here's a link to the home page for the "GEO Method"

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Here is another link discussing the "GEO Method"

Oemy's Web Site - Tech Tips

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote