Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #1

First, a huge Thank You to all of you Redwooders! The feedback I have received in this forum has been super helpful and informative! I have learned more here than from any dealer.

Maybe you can help me with this one. A few months ago I purchased an F-350 Dually and included the Reese Elite hitch that Ford offers as an option. My 36RL has an 18kLippert pin box. When I start up and stop the pin moves forward and backward in the hitch. Should I consider that normal? Are there any suggestions as to how I can tighten the fit of the pin in the hitch to lessen the movement?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

Jeff, can you give a little more info? I think there are 3 different pins offered. A standard solid, the one that rocks (sort of like the MorRyde), and the third is the Tri-Glide.
Is the pin it's self actually moving or the plate above the pin? The pin it's self should be gripped by the hitch jaws and should have very little if any movement, but depending on the attachment method there can be movement of the rest of the pin box. We have the Tri-Glide and the pin doesn't move but the rest of the box and front of the trailer move back and forth and up and down, which is exactly what it's suppose to do with the Tri-Glide.
If the pin is actually moving, I would make sure the jaws are closing properly to grip it and if that's ok I would look at the hitch mounting bolts. A couple over on the MOC Forum found the bolts missing on the rear mounting rail allowing their hitch to lift up on the rear two or three inches, not good.
Let us know what you find.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #3

The Lippert pin box is just your basic standard solid no frills unit. Just metal with a pin sticking out of it. I ordered theTri-Glide hitch initially but at the time I was using a slider hitch and it was not compatable. They replaced the Tri-Glide with this basic hitch.

The pin is actually moving front to backinside the jaws of the hitch. It is captured and their is no up or down movement. Just the annoying thump when we start and stop. I've checked the mount and everything is stable. It seems that thecircumference of the pin is too small for the hitch. That gives it just enough room to move around. Can you increase the size of the pin on a basic hitch or is it welded in place?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #4

Grandpa, we have almost the identical set as you, F450 and the Reese 18K Elite hitch. Ours moves a little too, but only when stopped. The hitch plate tilts right and left, as well up and down a few inches. I think that's what it was intended to do and is normal.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

Thank you Victor! The hitch we have is the Eliteā„¢ Series Fifth Wheel 25K. Is there a difference in the circumference of the 18k pin and the 25k pin? Do I need a 25k pinbox to fit the hitch?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

Our King Pin is three inches high, with a center diameter of two inches and an outer diameter for the top and bottom of two and three quarters inches. It is made by Trailair. I don't know about the 25K.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

As far as I know, all fifth wheel king pins are the same size. We have a 25 k husky and the 16 k was the same size throt. Mine does not move only by the tri glide as it is ment to. The outback had a rigid hitch and never moved at all.