Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

HELP! W Pump/FW Tank Fail

(UPDATE: I think I fixed it!~)
The FITTING which adapted the size of the end of my winterization hose was NOT sealed! When I removed it and recapped it, the pump finally primed. It was sucking AIR I Think... Wow. Right after I posted this my brain clicked in. So, for now, I think I am ok. Thanks again. (Leaving this below for anyone else that might have this happen)

(original post
Greetings all you wonderful RW GURUS!

Well, (Theresa here) I am at the end of two days of FRUSTRATION. Sorry this is so lengthy...

The problem: Water pump will not draw water from FW tank.

What I have discovered:
The Pump works fine as it should. It WILL pull water from the winterization hose (that is put in a bucket of water) with the winterization valve properly placed.

There is a FULL tank of fresh water-FOR SURE.

The pump screen is clean and clear.

There does not appear to be any kinks or leaks in any of the hoses.

Always worked fine before two days ago.

Here's what happened:
We have issues with the well water in the park we are hosting in. The water shut off as it often does (another story ) and I got caught without any water in my tank because we had just returned home from a short trip and I took the opportunity to sanitize, and thus drained it upon arriving home.

Took our 60 gallon water bladder bag to daughters, filled with water, and put it in the tank (as always) using the onboard water pump and the the winterization hose (that's all we ever use that hose for, never to winterize). Worked fine, as always. (I also run a hose from the outdoor shower faucet to the fw fill to complete the process, water is drawn from the bag, through the pump and into the house lines and out the shower faucet back into the tank, works slick).

After returning the winterization valve to the proper (normal) position, pump fails to prime from the tank. WILL NOT PRIME from tank. Acts as if the tank is "empty" and continues to run with no draw.

My thoughts at this point after checking EVERYTHING:
Either something (debris?) got into the tank draw line and plugged it
or
The hose itself has come disconnected somewhere deep out of my view
or
???

Any thoughts at all?
Sorry this is so long. I tried so hard, but my brain is fried at this point and I am going crazy. Seems so simple... yet I can't get it working.
Thanks SOOOOOOO much

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:38 PM   #2

I had a similar problem this spring , the cover on the strainer where you can remove the intake screen was cracked , I think last fall I put it on to tight and in the cold it cracked at the threads. I remove the strainer and tied the two hoses together (male to female connectors) so it was a easy job. Then the panic was over.....
Old 05-26-2018, 11:02 PM   #3

The frustration is real! The fitting that I had to quit using was simply to make the winterization fitting fit a hose fitting. Apparently I got the wrong size and it is not a perfect fit and just enough air is drawn through it to cause the pump to fail to Prime. Amazing
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote