Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

Heating

This is the first time I have been in my RW with the temperature dipping below 32 degrees. I have had the A/C heat turned on before and was just thinking about my LP heat. Anyway, last night it dipped below 40 and my floor heat came on through my floor vents without me doing anything. It was a great thing, but is this the way it is supposed to be? When the outside air gets to a certain temperature the floor heat kicks on? Would this be the furnace? I have no manual so I don't know.

Will someone please explain to me how the whole heating system works for my 36RL RW? I hate to ask these simple questions but i really don't know.

So, how does the heating system work in our Redwoods?
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Dave

I'll do my best. It sounds like you had the system set to electric heat. In that setting, the heat pump in the AC unit will work until it gets to about 40 degrees outside. After that it will start to blow cool air. Once the thermostat senses that it can't keep up, it will automatically turn on the furnace and shut down the AC. I can't remember if it will automatically revert to the heat pump and shut the furnace down when it warms back up.

If you are using the Heat pump for your heat and are turning it on from a cold coach, look at the inside temp first. Set the heat setting no more than 3 degrees from ambient and let it come on and heat to that point and then reset it again for the next higher step. If it's say, 60 in the coach and you set it for 70, even if you have it set to be lecturing it will turn the furnace on to get it up to 70. As an alternative you could just let the furnace take the temp up quickly and then turn it to electric as long as outside is more than 42 degrees or so.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #3

Thanks, that helps a lot .
Old 10-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #4

After my first cold weather trip with my RW , I asked the exact same question... We just got home from a weekend in Lancaster with days in the mid to upper 40's ..and the night time lows in the mid 30's..
Using the AC heat pump was the best thing ever!!!
The heat was more CONTROLLED then just using the furnace... I think the the heat pump is another must have for us going forward...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #5

Things are going pretty well. Being from South Florida I really didn't think much about heating my RW. However, being in Indiana the last few days brings my attention to some warm living quarters. Last night my heat pump was running and blowing cold air into my RW and the furnace was also on blowing warm air. I thought the heat pump would shut off when it could not generate enough heat. The outside temp was around 35 degrees. Any ideas? Should I have shut off the electric heat and just used the gas heat?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Dave
do you have a heatpump on both air conditioners. If so the front heatpump is not tied into the gas furnace like the rear one is. The front will continue to operate blowing cold air while the furnace runs
Old 10-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
Site Team

If the outside temp is around 40 degrees the heat pump can't make heat. I would have expected it to shut down and switch off when the thermostat changed to heat. If not, just manually move it from electric to heat.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #8

no heat pump in the front, just the rear
Old 10-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #9

One last question that does not relate to heat. Sometimes I hear a fan running right under my front closet. It sounds as if it is coming out of the vent under the closet doors. What is that?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
If you have the residential fridge it may be the fan on the invertor in the basement
Old 10-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
One last question that does not relate to heat. Sometimes I hear a fan running right under my front closet. It sounds as if it is coming out of the vent under the closet doors. What is that?

It is likely the converter. That is where mine is located and the fan starts running once there is sufficient load placed on the converter such as the halogen lights.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
no heat pump in the front, just the rear
If you only have the heat pump in the rear it should automatically shut down once the furnace kicks in and starts blowing warm air. If it does not after a short period of time there may be something wrong with it. I also can not see what year of trailer you have. This pertains to the newer model of air conditioner / heat pump
Old 10-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #13

No, it is not a residential. It is under the closet and not on all the time. It sounds as if it comes from behind the wall in the basement.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:06 AM   #14

Thats probably it, thanks