Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 04:16 AM   #1

Heat Pump Stopped

Well looks like I lost our heat pump today. Worked fine last night and this morning. This afternoon blows nothing but cool air and it is only 50 deg out tonight. Should be working fine but only cool air will not heat up. Looks like our first warranty issue
Old 02-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Well looks like I lost our heat pump today. Worked fine last night and this morning. This afternoon blows nothing but cool air and it is only 50 deg out tonight. Should be working fine but only cool air will not heat up. Looks like our first warranty issue
Hopefully the service center can resolve the issue quickly for you.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:02 AM   #3

Had that happen to me it was a bad board check and see if the pump is running on heat and AC if not it will need the board Coleman send one to me took a half hour to change out
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #4

Just ordered a new 39 MB with heat pump option so this is concerning to me. I did a search & noticed some comments that if the outside temps. fall below 40deg., that the heat pump(s) will not function & the furnace will automatically be switched on. Could this be what happened in your case?? Can anyone else who has heat pumps chime in on this ?
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

Yes, that's what the heat pump will do...

But, we've always just turned the furnace on if there is any doubt the temps will fall below freezing as the furnace is what can keep your belly from freezing, not the heat pump...
(the furnace is on and set to 40 degrees right now while in storage since I didn't winterize ....) have to make a run for propane tmo...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
Just ordered a new 39 MB with heat pump option so this is concerning to me. I did a search & noticed some comments that if the outside temps. fall below 40deg., that the heat pump(s) will not function & the furnace will automatically be switched on. Could this be what happened in your case?? Can anyone else who has heat pumps chime in on this ?
The two heat pumps, for our 36 RL work well down to outside temperatures of about 40 degrees F which is what I expected. We use the furnace when outside temperatures fall below 40-45 degrees to assure that the tanks don't freeze.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

It's not that the heat pump will not 'function', it's just that it is unable to extract any heat from outside and pump it inside

Just like the heat pumps at home, there is usually a backup system, either electric heat strips or gas furnaces....
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
So could this be normal for the heat pump(s) then since the outside temp(s) were in the vicinity of 45ish -50 ?? Do the outside temps have to be up to around high 30's for the pumps to work efficiently ?
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #9

Typically around 38 to 40 degrees there is no heat left for the Heat Pump to extract from the air. Depending on the actual design you could start blowing cool air by 45 degrees or so.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:08 AM   #10

As mentioned, the HP's work well till the outside temps fall into the low 40's then they just blow cool air. When this happened the inside temp will begin to drop, when the temp falls 5º below the temp set on the thermostat the furnace will start and will stay on until the temp rises to the set temperature.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #11

Before ours went out last week it work down to about 36 after that the furnace kicks on. I have had other rv's and they worked the same.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:54 AM   #12

The only pump that turns on the furnace when it freezes up is the main unit if the bedroom one goes it just keeps running also if the main unit blowes it's board the heat from the furnace never comes on as a backup like I said earlier check to see if the pump not fan is running and they don't freese up until around 30 degrees I've had that happen more that once
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechguyjim View Post
The only pump that turns on the furnace when it freezes up is the main unit if the bedroom one goes it just keeps running also if the main unit blowes it's board the heat from the furnace never comes on as a backup like I said earlier check to see if the pump not fan is running and they don't freese up until around 30 degrees I've had that happen more that once
Yes! and that is a rude awakening to jump out of bed to use the bathroom and have warm feet and a cold head! Been there
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote