Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Hdmi

I have been reading the posts on satellite and cable TV connections. Would it be fair to assume that all of the signal being run to the TVs is coax. I was hoping that there would have been some allowance for some distribution through HDMI. If my assumption is correct there is no HDMI cables in the Redwood.

My question would now be how difficult would it be to run an HDMI cable from the entertainment center to the bedroom TV and the outside TV. I realize that the HDMI cables will require some type of splitter/amp in order to accomplish what I want to do.

Any comments or suggestions as always would be appreciated.

We're still waiting on a built date for our 2015 38GK. Thanks
Old 10-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #2

If you ordered one, call them and tell them to put it in place of the coax !!!! That is the time to do it !

couldn't imagine running a cable through one of these things

but in all honesty, can not imagine a picture clearer than our 55" LED off Directv....
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

The coax is good for the first TV with a receiver it is second and third TV I want to supply TV and DVD picture to .. Thanks
Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

Oh, I think I understand what you mean now...

You want to run all tv's off one box ?!?

Better to get 3 boxes, one for each connection OR get the new wireless genie's :
http://www.directv.com/technology/ge...&lpos=Header:3
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #5

I went to the Hopper Joeys to run all 3 in HD. Berry Vonderful! and piece of cake to install.

I had the option at the time we ordered to get HDMI installed, but I had no idea what I wanted or needed so I left it alone. Kind of glad I did, because I would have needed the coax to do what I have now.

Also noteworthy, both Dish and DirecTV are wireless now with the new Hoppers and Genie systems, so cable just gets your hands tangled digging in the walls
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Do the Hoppers and Genie allow other services like DVD or Apple TV (streaming) for i.e. Netflicks to the other TVs. Guess I am spoiled had HDMI, cable, and component distribution from the entertainment center in my old SOB, which was a Tiffin Allegro Bus.. Again thanks for the answers...Ian
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #7

Ian,
I'm not sure but I think you would need a box (apple tv) at each television for streaming. The biggest problem is that streaming is very costly when on the road with the limitations that the cell providers give. Park wifi in my experience is never fast enough to stream video.

The DVD is available to all TV's via the Hopper/Joeys. Not sure about Direct.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
I have been reading the posts on satellite and cable TV connections. Would it be fair to assume that all of the signal being run to the TVs is coax. I was hoping that there would have been some allowance for some distribution through HDMI. If my assumption is correct there is no HDMI cables in the Redwood.

My question would now be how difficult would it be to run an HDMI cable from the entertainment center to the bedroom TV and the outside TV. I realize that the HDMI cables will require some type of splitter/amp in order to accomplish what I want to do.

Any comments or suggestions as always would be appreciated.

We're still waiting on a built date for our 2015 38GK. Thanks
Ian,

All the antenna feeds are coax, they have to be because the feeds [sat, cable & OTA] are coax.

On our coach the Cable/OTA coax in the LR is connected to TV, the Sat coax is connected to the Sat Receiver. I have HDMI cables from the Home Theater and Sat Receiver going to our TV. In the BR the Cable/OTA coax goes to the TV, the Sat coax goes to a Sat Receiver. There is a HDMI cable from the Sat Receiver to the TV. I also have a DVD player in the BR, it has a HDMI cable to the TV
Old 10-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post
Do the Hoppers and Genie allow other services like DVD or Apple TV (streaming) for i.e. Netflicks to the other TVs. Guess I am spoiled had HDMI, cable, and component distribution from the entertainment center in my old SOB, which was a Tiffin Allegro Bus.. Again thanks for the answers...Ian
Ya Ian I know what you're saying (sounds like it was a nice system), but I just don't think the satellite hardware (Dish or Direct) will broadcast streaming to all TVs. It will however broadcast the movies on DVR, movies on a hard drive, and even over-the-air. The Hopper is the master and all the Joeys are slaves and work on a network, so anything one can do, the others can do.

Streaming on ours is actually through the LG blue ray sound system and wifi, and I have another smart blue ray that streams in the bedroom. If I need to stream to the outside TV, I just plug in my little ROKU USB receiver.

I was showing off to the wife and we streamed two Episodes of Breaking Bad at a campsite using my Verizon card. Before the 2nd episode finished my wife got a text that we were 75% into our data allowance, and just that night we used 2GB! hahaha - she started throwing stuff at me so I never tried again . I've never been able to get a good stream off a campground wifi.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post

I was showing off to the wife and we streamed two Episodes of Breaking Bad at a campsite using my Verizon card. Before the 2nd episode finished my wife got a text that we were 75% into our data allowance, and just that night we used 2GB! hahaha - she started throwing stuff at me so I never tried again . I've never been able to get a good stream off a campground wifi.
Welcome to the world of cellular data and streaming, we have Amazon Prime, ROKU and had Netflix [cancelled] sand don't use any of them, streaming video, or even audio, can eat up your data in no time!!!

Now we use Redbox, very limited but really toe only alternative.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #11

I found I can park in front of my house the night before we leave, plug in, and turn on the Hopper, and connect to our house wifi to download tons of free movies to the DVR. Then we can watch them while camping.

Not always foolproof though, something happened last time and I only got 1 movie. I must have lost connection or something.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #12

I carry a portable 2TB hard drive with films and TV programs for times we don't have sat reception.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #13

GOsh...thought we all went outside to have some brew and no TV! LOL
usaf1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:25 AM   #14

2 huh??? lol. i carry 2 of these...http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...319&CatId=4272 both full.. (2tb drives) and use my media player (patriot box office\) with a 2 tb drive in it.. (22b tb in total)... :0 all the entertainment u could ask for.. in a compact.. easy to use.. set up.. all the remotes are wifi/uhf.. and it all fits neatly into xtra storage area i created beneath the steps into the l/r (36fl) all 4 tv`s are connected via hdmi.. and usb 'n" for the internet.. dish traveller1000. roof mounted.. (dishnet).. even us canucks can travel in comfort...
mesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 AM   #15

Andy,

I have the 2TB drive (I think I bought on your suggestion), but I may have messed up. Our RV is on a separate dish account, so when I take the 2TB drive from the house and plug it onto the Hopper in the Redwood, it says it cannot use it because it is formatted for another account. Had I kept all on the same account, I may not have had the issue. Either way, I just need to take the time to reformat it and put on movies I own instead of rented ones from Dish.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesg View Post
2 huh??? lol. i carry 2 of these...http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...319&CatId=4272 both full.. (2tb drives) and use my media player (patriot box office\) with a 2 tb drive in it.. (22b tb in total)... :0 all the entertainment u could ask for.. in a compact.. easy to use.. set up.. all the remotes are wifi/uhf.. and it all fits neatly into xtra storage area i created beneath the steps into the l/r (36fl) all 4 tv`s are connected via hdmi.. and usb 'n" for the internet.. dish traveller1000. roof mounted.. (dishnet).. even us canucks can travel in comfort...
Mesg, how did you run the HDMI cables...Thanks Ian
Old 10-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Andy,

I have the 2TB drive (I think I bought on your suggestion), but I may have messed up. Our RV is on a separate dish account, so when I take the 2TB drive from the house and plug it onto the Hopper in the Redwood, it says it cannot use it because it is formatted for another account. Had I kept all on the same account, I may not have had the issue. Either way, I just need to take the time to reformat it and put on movies I own instead of rented ones from Dish.
Brad - I don't upload films we own to the drive, we ditch the cases and just keep the discs in a folder, which we bring with us. On the drive I store films I downloaded when visiting our son in Dubai. Have you tried plugging the drive through the LG DVD player.

I also use a separate mirrored 3TB drive for music and photographs.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #18

I've had my satellite in my all my RVs, and HD is very, very clear using the Rvs cables, coupled with an HDMI cable from my receiver to my tv.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
Brad - I don't upload films we own to the drive, we ditch the cases and just keep the discs in a folder, which we bring with us. On the drive I store films I downloaded when visiting our son in Dubai. Have you tried plugging the drive through the LG DVD player.

I also use a separate mirrored 3TB drive for music and photographs.
I'll need to try that Andy, that may be exactly what is wrong. By going into the Hopper it thinks I'm looking to host again like at home, and won't let me cross accounts.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #20

Ian,

Just curious, have you talked to the Dealer to see if there is still time to add the HDMI Cable? It is a whole lot easier at the factory. I wouldn't even try doing it myself after it was built. The slides really complicate the wiring path and make for long cables.

I was also curious what receiver system you were using before? All of my prior receivers only allowed HDMI for the main TV, the second output was SD via coax. Were you switching the main HDMI feed through a switch?

If all else fails, this is the wiring plan for the Dish Hopper-Joey using the existing Redwood coax. Coax is the only transmission cable you can use for satellite transmission - HDMI goes between the receiver and TV which these allow for. The Joeys actually piggy-back onto the back of the TV at the bracket. DirecTV has almost exactly the same thing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WF-810 SK-1000 with Joey & Hopper.pdf (117.8 KB, 12 views)