Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

Unhappy Goodyear tires

Had a great summer beach trip but started out as a disaster. Had 2 blowouts within 75 miles of home. Had to buy new tires at that time on the road. Returned home and started again the next morning with purpose of getting to location to have remaining news tires put on rims and on ground. Had a 3rd blowout before this could happen. I did become very good at changing rv tires on this trip..question for me is what tires should go on these rv's an can the wheels handle the pressure. Had 10 plys on ground bought new 10 plys but wanting to go to 12 or 14 ply. Any suggestions on good tires.??? Rig in body shop now for inadequate tires.
Garlan & Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Did it have the E rated Marathons ? If so go to either G or H Goodyears. You will need to check the wheels if the old tires were E. They need to be rated for at least 110 psi.

If it was me, and I was planning on towing a bunch and had to buy wheels, I'd put he 17.5 Goodyear H rated on and be done with it. If your existing wheels are ok, go with the G rated .

Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

Its a 2014 front living. It did have e rated on aluminum wheels. How can the wheels be varieties to carry the g rating?? And what would be a cost of going to the 17.5 h rated. Also are there any other tire brands other than goodyear
Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlan & Kat View Post
Had a great summer beach trip but started out as a disaster. Had 2 blowouts within 75 miles of home. Had to buy new tires at that time on the road. Returned home and started again the next morning with purpose of getting to location to have remaining news tires put on rims and on ground. Had a 3rd blowout before this could happen. I did become very good at changing rv tires on this trip..question for me is what tires should go on these rv's an can the wheels handle the pressure. Had 10 plys on ground bought new 10 plys but wanting to go to 12 or 14 ply. Any suggestions on good tires.??? Rig in body shop now for inadequate tires.
Was this the first trip with this coach? If so, I think I would be having the axle alignment checked also. For sure, these RW coaches are heavy and those original E rated tires were just not adequate, but, they should last more than a few miles. But, if the axle alignment is out, even G rated or maybe even H rate tires won't last long. At a minimum, you are likely looking at needing new rims and at least the G rate Goodyear tires. Consider having the axle alignment checked. If it is out, it should be covered under warranty.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
Site Team

If the wheels are rated for 110 psi you can put 16" Goodyear G614 on. If they are not rated that high you will need new wheels also.
There are other brands but the G and H Goodyears are made her in the states.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #6

Not the first trip by far but tires have less than 5k on them. Had the rv for 2 years. Tires still looked great. Would the dealer look at the axle alignment. Do they have the ability to fix it if there was a problem
Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #7

How do I check pressure rating on wheels
Old 08-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Pressure rating will be either stamped or cast into the wheels, usually on the inside.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #9

I feel your pain!!! In January this year we had a blowout on the E rated Goodyear marathon tires.....$10,000 damage. We upgraded to a G rated tire, the Goodyear G614s, and wheels that would support the inflation to 110 PSI. We spent about $2,200 at Discount Tires for the wheels/tires. Yesterday I was scrubbing up our Sendel T03 wheels (the original equipment wheels on our 2012 RW) to get ready to sell and noticed a hairline crack on the spoke of one. If I hadn't been super-cleaning them I never would have noticed the crack. Pieces of junk!!! Now to the scrap yard with them. By the way, I filed a claim with Goodyear on the blowout/damage and they paid the whole repair bill. Great company. I fault Redwood for putting underrated tires/wheels on a heavy coach in the first place. If you will search the thread "Tires Let's talk tires" there is a whole lot of information there that would be helpful to you. Sorry you guys had the problems.
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:42 PM   #10

Smile

Thanks to all for the information. Have several different avenues to approach
Old 08-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #11

I'm almost certain that Goodyear is the only company that will cover your coach from blowout damage, most others may cover the tire, but not damages.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:43 AM   #12

I'm not even going to get myself worked up on those "E's" anymore. Just take a look at the other thread on here but it definitely sounds like you may have an alignment issue. Not many folks on here have lost 3 tires in that short of time.

Steve
Old 08-16-2015, 03:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
I'm not even going to get myself worked up on those "E's" anymore. Just take a look at the other thread on here but it definitely sounds like you may have an alignment issue. Not many folks on here have lost 3 tires in that short of time.

Steve
There are a couple of other possibilities that could cause the blowouts .........................pulling over 65mph which is what the tires are rated for max or being overweight. Those are variables that most owners won't discuss when having tire problems. I'm not saying the alignment is not off, but several factors need to be looked at to determine the problem.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:31 AM   #14

tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlan & Kat View Post
Take a look at Gladiator: QR35-TR Trailer tire. These tire are 14 ply with 10 ply side walls. I have had them on my Redwood for three years with no problems.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:48 PM   #15

[QUOTE=piper guy;52601]Did it have the E rated Marathons ? If so go to either G or H Goodyears. You will need to check the wheels if the old tires were E. They need to be rated for at least 110 psi.

If it was me, and I was planning on towing a bunch and had to buy wheels, I'd put he 17.5 Goodyear H rated on and be done with it. If your existing wheels are ok, go with the G rated .

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

]I just order my 5th H rated matching tire and rim for the spare from Trailer Tire and wheels, it's a good bit heavier, I supposed the spare tire cable will hold it?
Buddy Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:56 AM   #16

[QUOTE=Buddy Wallace;52856]
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Did it have the E rated Marathons ? If so go to either G or H Goodyears. You will need to check the wheels if the old tires were E. They need to be rated for at least 110 psi.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

]I just order my 5th H rated matching tire and rim for the spare from Trailer Tire and wheels, it's a good bit heavier, I supposed the spare tire cable will hold it?

My cable is holding my 17.5 Goodyear G114.. No issues at 3,000 miles so far..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1251b View Post
Take a look at Gladiator: QR35-TR Trailer tire. These tire are 14 ply with 10 ply side walls. I have had them on my Redwood for three years with no problems.
Thanks, Those are extremely reasonable priced and the majority of their tires in that line are semi truck tires so I would think very durable, definitely a HD tire manufacturer.... Worth a look I think!
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #18

I have a problem with any tire that has a 10 ply sidewall. All of your semi truck tires as well as the G614 have a 1 ply steel sidewall. The 10 ply sidewall will build & hold too much heat. That is why no semi tires are made with that type of construction.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
I have a problem with any tire that has a 10 ply sidewall. All of your semi truck tires as well as the G614 have a 1 ply steel sidewall. The 10 ply sidewall will build & hold too much heat. That is why no semi tires are made with that type of construction.
I can't imagin on a tire of the 285 16 size they have 10ply side walls. One would have to be sure. I agree about the heat if they do ... But I have my doubts, maybe in the heavier truck sizes.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
I can't imagin on a tire of the 285 16 size they have 10ply side walls. One would have to be sure. I agree about the heat if they do ... But I have my doubts, maybe in the heavier truck sizes.
If you read the fine print none of the tires have actual 10 or 12 or 14 ply sidewalls. They have 10 ply or more EQUIVALENT side walls which I believe is about three actual plies. A well designed trailer tire has thinner tire walls to allow flexing from carrying a heavy load with less heat build up from the flexing as I understand it.