Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #1

Good Sam vs State Farm Ins & Allstate Towing

I am paying $561 a yr for State Farm insurance on my 2013 RE which only covers the RV, no full replacement coverage, no medical. I know the rates are based on credit history and state but what I really want to know is how Good Sam insurance which is carried by National General Insurance Group does for service. For $359 a yr they say they cover the personal items in the RV, Accessories like awnings levelers etc, Optional Full RV Replacement cost, Full Time RVing, or if only part time they refund months up to 6 mo if not using the RV but it will still be covered in case of fire or theft. State Farm doesn't come close to any of that. I didn't get a quote for the Full Replacement cost, I will ask them Monday. Has anyone used Good Sam and how are they? Second part of this is the Towing. I am now with Allstate Towing for $100 a yr and they will tow both the RV and Truck if the truck breaks down for however far it takes to get to service. In Montana, that is a big plus. Good Sam claims to do the same and the cost is $80 a yr. Has anyone had any knowledge of service between these two companies? Good, Bad, please let me know what you think and thanks. George.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:48 AM   #2

I have nothing but good things to say about our Good Sam RV/Vehicle tow service after I lost a wheel bearing in the middle of Wyoming and had to be towed almost 150 miles to Cheyenne. They keep searching for a tow option and repair option for 5 hours and they paid the tow company in full the next day.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:31 AM   #3

I had Allstate the first year on our 2014 36RL, then they went up about 30% so I went to Good Sam. Good Sam/National General was higher, but offered full replacement at MSRP for 5 years, and purchase price for every year owned after that until we sold it. Ken (Brenco) helped us look through the fine print and offered some good suggestions.

When we switched to a used MH, I could no longer qualify for the Good Sam replacement, and overall they were twice as high as what I got through Safeco.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #4

We first went with good sam and the second year they doubled their rate, even with no claims and an 800+ credit score ...

so we are shopping around... due in august

(and I would be VERY happy with $500 per year !!!)

and while I am bashing Good Sam
their roadside the first time with a blowout on the 5'er was ok -
only took them four hours to find someone on I-10 near Lafayette, La

thank goodness the truck would idle and the ac was cold !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

You might want to give Blue Sky a try, there rates are better than National General and their replacement cost is Much Better than Good Sam. Just sayin............
slideone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideone View Post
You might want to give Blue Sky a try, there rates are better than National General and their replacement cost is Much Better than Good Sam. Just sayin............
Just jumped on your recommendation. Sadly, my state and others don't have Blue Sky coverage available.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #7

I got back to Good Sam on the Insurance, they want $388 a yr for $250 deductible and then they really jump up in price for Full Replacement, $759 a yr for $250 deductible. Guess I check and see if Blue Sky is available here in Arizona. I just contacted Blue Shy, waiting to see what they have.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #8

Blue Sky got back to me and they want over 1k a yr just for coverage. He said he works with Progressive as well and came up with a quote of $544 with $500 deductible and $500,000 Vacation Liability and $3,000 Personal Items with $100 deductible. To drop the deductible from $500 down to $250 it went up to $642 a yr. He was quite against Good Sam, said that putting it in and out of vacation and getting a refund then putting it back on was confusing and time consuming. Way I look at it if I went with Good Sam at $359 with $500 deductible or even $388 with $250 deductible and never put it on vacation it still is cheaper, has $3,000 Personal items, coverage on accessories and if I go full time it's no problem. Sure I could put it on Vacation, but then if I had to use it in a quick need then I would have to go thru the hoops to get it back on coverage. Anyway, I'm not rich, I have an expensive RV but that doesn't mean I'm made of money. I wanted an RV I knew I could live in if I had too and since my wife is dying with cancer, it looks like I may be depending on it more when she's gone. Thanks all for the help and information.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Site Team

We've search and researched insurance and for the RV we landed on Progressive. It's that time of year though to start the search over again. I like keeping on top of the quotes
Old 07-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo9350 View Post
Blue Sky got back to me and they want over 1k a yr just for coverage. He said he works with Progressive as well and came up with a quote of $544 with $500 deductible and $500,000 Vacation Liability and $3,000 Personal Items with $100 deductible. To drop the deductible from $500 down to $250 it went up to $642 a yr. He was quite against Good Sam, said that putting it in and out of vacation and getting a refund then putting it back on was confusing and time consuming. Way I look at it if I went with Good Sam at $359 with $500 deductible or even $388 with $250 deductible and never put it on vacation it still is cheaper, has $3,000 Personal items, coverage on accessories and if I go full time it's no problem. Sure I could put it on Vacation, but then if I had to use it in a quick need then I would have to go thru the hoops to get it back on coverage. Anyway, I'm not rich, I have an expensive RV but that doesn't mean I'm made of money. I wanted an RV I knew I could live in if I had too and since my wife is dying with cancer, it looks like I may be depending on it more when she's gone. Thanks all for the help and information.
So sorry to hear about your wife. We send our blessings