Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #1

Good RV Shop

I am heading to Aurora CO. I have major critter damage. Need a new water tank, repair 120 wiring from gen to breaker box as well as wires at the breaker box, gen remote start wiring and anything else they might find. Does anyone know of a good repair shop in that area. Aurora is just outside of Denver.

Just an FYI i tried to get rid of this critter with, electronic device (2), critter spray, poison ( 7 nights), sticky plates, traps and now a mixture of oils peppermint and other flavors. I think one critter was a squirrel which I believe. I poisoned, however, . still fighting something that is taking cheese and peanut butter from my traps and sticky plates. I think moving for a while from TX to Co will solve it. At my wits end. Tom
roamingmitchells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingmitchells View Post
I am heading to Aurora CO. I have major critter damage. Need a new water tank, repair 120 wiring from gen to breaker box as well as wires at the breaker box, gen remote start wiring and anything else they might find. Does anyone know of a good repair shop in that area. Aurora is just outside of Denver.

Just an FYI i tried to get rid of this critter with, electronic device (2), critter spray, poison ( 7 nights), sticky plates, traps and now a mixture of oils peppermint and other flavors. I think one critter was a squirrel which I believe. I poisoned, however, . still fighting something that is taking cheese and peanut butter from my traps and sticky plates. I think moving for a while from TX to Co will solve it. At my wits end. Tom
How did the enter the coach?
Old 02-28-2016, 01:40 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Mice do not normally chew on wires but a squirrel will eat them up
Old 02-28-2016, 01:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Mice do not normally chew on wires but a squirrel will eat them up
I have been looking at removing the plastic under belly and replacing it with sheet aluminum and insulated with closed cell foam. Major deterrent for rodents. I was looking at enclosing the LP area with expanded metal lath.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:43 AM   #5

Be care full if you poison it and it dies in the wall. It will stink for 8-10 weeks. maybe you want to try a critter cage/trap. Also you may want to contact your insurance. I had squirrels get into my shed and do major damage to golf bags / camping stuff etc. they paid the bill.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:00 AM   #6

Not sure how they got in. Put expanding foam in the holes yesterday however still had a visitor last night. Insurance will pay for all the damage. Wished I knew prior to seven water line repairs one p trap and two propane lines this week. While in the shop I will have them seal everything. But I need to find a shop. I rather find a repair shop over a dealer. They seem to do better work if that's all they do. Put a video camera for tonight. Hope I can see what I am dealing with
Old 02-28-2016, 03:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Not sure how they got in. Put expanding foam in the holes yesterday however still had a visitor last night. Insurance will pay for all the damage. Wished I knew prior to seven water line repairs one p trap and two propane lines this week. While in the shop I will have them seal everything. But I need to find a shop. I rather find a repair shop over a dealer. They seem to do better work if that's all they do. Put a video camera for tonight. Hope I can see what I am dealing with
What a pain! We've had squirrels get on the roof and run around...thankfully none have gotten into the coach. I know they love chewing on wires though, and they are hard to get rid of once they find a place they like...had them in the attic of a house, and the exterminator had to take them far away, or they would just return. Good luck.

Bob
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:21 AM   #8

Regular foam will not stop an animal that wants in or out. You need to mix a wire mesh in the foam. At a harbor freight a trap if something goes in it does get out.
if this helps to get rid of a skunk from under a balcony I once used straight ammonia. Put it on a rag on the ground.
32-1/2" L x 10" W x 15" H Collapsible Medium Animal Trap
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:45 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Maybe if you talk niceTed will lend you his cat
Old 02-28-2016, 04:32 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:

Keep running North until you see a "Welcome to Alaska" sign. Freeze the little fellas to death
Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #11

What happened to the water tank?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #12

I found a few small openings in the underbelly at the axels and at the rear hitch that mice can enter at so I use 4" gorilla tape to seal them up. I use expanding foam and copper wool pads to seal all hole on the sides of the frame. it has worked so far.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #13

We had one mouse a couple years ago, caught in a trap, but I put one of those sonic doo-dads in the basement & we've not had so much as a spider since.
We had squirrels/rats in our attic in one of our S&B homes & the exterminator put some sort of poison out that killed them & prevented them from smelling, don't know how it worked, but when we moved & took stuff out of the attic I found 3-4 varmit skeletons, yuk! & never a smell.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #14

Atom Ant, the critter chewed a hole the size of my hand on the top edge of the water tank. I like the idea of a mixture of metal and foam. Thanks for the suggestion. Tom
Old 02-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #15

Oh my gosh! I would not have expected that.

I wish I had a recommendation, but I have never found anyone I am happy with in this town yet. I thought I got a name from the RV show (All Star RV Repair) that is local here in Denver, but when I pulled in the place it looked like a dump with stored units, rentals, and repair buildings scattered all over a mud and rock lot off of the railroad tracks, and the best they offered was for me to leave it 5 weeks or so and they would get to it. I laughed at walked out telling them I can get that kind of abuse from my Dealer, but without feeling the need to post an armed guard!.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #16

These guys re-skinned our TT after a hail storm beat up 3 sides. Did a great job. Had it about 10 days start to finish.

Welcome to*Universal Fleet, RV and Auto Collision, Inc
Old 03-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #17

We have had multiple negative experiences with Denver RW dealer service department. So we are always looking for good service options. We have used Turbo RV in Monument. They are mobile, but you may have to be in the Monument area. He has done work for us multiple times. We've been happy with Eric and his work.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:51 AM   #18

Bummer to hear your wires were chewed. I've been in some areas in TX where we had trouble with the rats chewing on wires. They got to my truck and chewed up an area of firewall insulation and a wire to a sensor on the engine. Once this happens you need to disinfect the area so they are not attracted back to the area. For the truck I now use a LED strobe light called Rid-A-RAT. It runs off your battery and has a magnate on the back so it can easily be attached to a metal surface.

This product is suppose to work for any type of rodent that is nocturnal. I've had this device under my hood of the truck for 3 years and no more rats/mice or chipmunks. For the RV I would consider wiring up a unit for your generator area. I would also run white LED lights around your rig. These actions will help mostly at night. If something like a squirrel it getting into your unit during the day, It would be best to trap it if possible. Lastly I plug up all my holes in areas such the propane compartment with coarse steel wool.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:38 AM   #19

Thanks for all the replies. We woke up this morning to water leaks in the storage and underbelly. Got to ABQ NM this afternoon and RockyMountain Rv said the could repair for me while I head up to CO. I will pick it up on my way back to TX, it appears that this dealer is a premier repair shop for the insurance I have. No one in CO could take on the job booked two months ahead. Universal Fleet was highly recommended by a couple of the shops however they were booked solid. Again thanks for the information you all supplied. Tom
Old 03-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #20

Put moth balls in and around all area's the critters have been living. I owned a cabin in northern Mi, and I spread mothballs throughout the crawl space. Never had another problem with all critters again
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Durimax Diesel/w. Allison transmission
Pullrite Slider Hitch
steve & darlene is offline   Reply With Quote