Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #21

The smell of moth balls will keep me away also!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:02 AM   #22

Well here is an update. The shop completed all the work last week in the tune of $12,000.00. They said they did not see any critters while working on the unit. Monday morning they hooked up water and walla. we have leaks from the repairs. The critter is still there. So now we are on hold for any further repairs and an exterminator has been contacted. I have asked for a poster size picture of what is caught to take to the firing range. Hopefully insurance will cover the new damage and a friend is wanting to get an exorcism done on the unit. Will keep you entertained as we move forward. Tom
Old 03-30-2016, 02:52 AM   #23

holy buckets - $12K!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:52 AM   #24

What ever it is, it sure is stealthy...and likes to travel! Please let us know what they find, so hopefully the rest of us can try to take preventive measures. That kind of damage is scary!!

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 AM   #25

Ok final chapter. The critter was a rat. It had.migrated to the inside of the unit while they were working underneath. During the repairs they found five nests. I would suspect that while in TX I had more than one of them, however must have poisoned them before we left. The total cost of repairs as $15,000 and change. An additional $350. for sterlization and deorderization of the inside, storage and full underbelly. Hopefully there is not any further smell to attract others. My mistake was trying to be humane. The best bet is as soon as you see evidence set traps!!! To recap what did not work; Victor electronic sonic, moth balls, a spray which ran me away while using it, a mixture of peppermint and was spearmint, Victor sticky plates (one rat tail no rat, second plate chewed in little pieces until rat got loose and killer trying to clean up all the little sticky pieces). Well there you have it TRAPS FIRST!!! Tom
Old 04-18-2016, 02:09 AM   #26

Thanks for the update Tom. Glad they were able to find the source and take care of the problem. Not sure what a person could do to for prevention. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you from here!

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingmitchells View Post
Ok final chapter. The critter was a rat. It had.migrated to the inside of the unit while they were working underneath. During the repairs they found five nests. I would suspect that while in TX I had more than one of them, however must have poisoned them before we left. The total cost of repairs as $15,000 and change. An additional $350. for sterlization and deorderization of the inside, storage and full underbelly. Hopefully there is not any further smell to attract others. My mistake was trying to be humane. The best bet is as soon as you see evidence set traps!!! To recap what did not work; Victor electronic sonic, moth balls, a spray which ran me away while using it, a mixture of peppermint and was spearmint, Victor sticky plates (one rat tail no rat, second plate chewed in little pieces until rat got loose and killer trying to clean up all the little sticky pieces). Well there you have it TRAPS FIRST!!! Tom

Recover your losses by selling your story to the movie people......it could be a hell of a comedy
Old 04-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #28

Comedy? Sounds more like a horror flick!
Can anyone say, "Ben"? Yikes, gives me the creeps just thinkin' about it.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote