Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod123 View Post
Didn't even know those were available. Thank you

What was it like wintering in mexico?
Where did you stay?
ichabod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #22

In terms of clamp meters, Home Depot has a good selection. I bought an A/C meter but opted for an A/C-D/C meter later, it allowed me to check draws from the battery and from individual wires in the RV.

Here is a web link: Search Results forĀ*clamp meterĀ*at The Home Depot

To check the amperage draw for the entire RV I put together a short extension cord and I opened the outer sheath on a small portion to expose the insulated black and white wires (but didn't take the insulation off!), you need to clamp onto either the black or white wire to read the amp draw. I used a 50 to 30 amp adapter then a 30 to 15 amp adapter to plug into the extension cord so I could read the draw. You could do something similar with a 30 amp extension cord, but you would need to check both legs if you you used the 50 amp cord.

Mexico was great until the violence level went up in 2010 due to the druggies. We stayed on the Pacific coast in campgrounds around Teacapan (2 hours south of Mazatlan) and south of San Blas which is north of Puerto Vallarta. There are a number of campsites all along the coast.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #23

Ok I give up. Magnum agrees with you all. Just to expensive both in money and weight. PGE will install a box bout 100' shy of the site.
I'll just bury #6 wire and make my own plug box.
I need to run water that far anyway
Old 03-06-2015, 02:21 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Ichabod
#6 ALUMINUM IS ONLY RATED FOR 40 AMPS YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITH # 2 ALUMINUM WITCH IS RATED FOR 70 AMPS
YOU HAVE TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION LINE lOSS DEPENDING ON HOW FAR THE RUN OF WIRE OR CABLE IS FROM YOU METER. The price difference is minimal
Old 03-06-2015, 02:24 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
In terms of clamp meters, Home Depot has a good selection. I bought an A/C meter but opted for an A/C-D/C meter later, it allowed me to check draws from the battery and from individual wires in the RV.

Here is a web link: Search Results forĀ*clamp meterĀ*at The Home Depot

To check the amperage draw for the entire RV I put together a short extension cord and I opened the outer sheath on a small portion to expose the insulated black and white wires (but didn't take the insulation off!), you need to clamp onto either the black or white wire to read the amp draw. I used a 50 to 30 amp adapter then a 30 to 15 amp adapter to plug into the extension cord so I could read the draw. You could do something similar with a 30 amp extension cord, but you would need to check both legs if you you used the 50 amp cord.

Mexico was great until the violence level went up in 2010 due to the druggies. We stayed on the Pacific coast in campgrounds around Teacapan (2 hours south of Mazatlan) and south of San Blas which is north of Puerto Vallarta. There are a number of campsites all along the coast.
If you purchase a good hardwired or plug in type surge protector it will give you the amperage reading on both legs and kill 2 birds with one stone
Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 AM   #26

Good news. We convinced PGE to bring power all the way to the RV now all we have to do is pay an electrician to wire the plug. Has to pass code or I would wire it myself.

Next project: build a biosand filter to filter my grey water to use on landscaping. I'll have only 500 gallons of black water storage then will have to be visited by the honey wagon
Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 AM   #27

We are setting is up for full time living. Georgia Power company quoted they're would be no cost to run a span and set one new pole. Most utilities should be similar. The problem comes when multiple poles and spans are required.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:13 AM   #28
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod123 View Post
Good news. We convinced PGE to bring power all the way to the RV now all we have to do is pay an electrician to wire the plug. Has to pass code or I would wire it myself.
FYI, a lot of times you can do all the work yourself so long as you get it permitted (if applicable) and inspected afterwards. I've always done all my electrical work myself (dad was a Journeyman, he still provides "consultation"...). When I lived in Bend it wasn't an issue at all.