Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

GFCI outlets

Don't know why I never noticed but the outlet in our FL storage compartment and the one located on the side of the coach just to the left of the FLs storage compartment are marked "GFCI". Today I plugged my compressor into the storage compartment's outlet and no worky. Plugged it into the outside outlet and no worky. Looked at the breaker panel and none of the breakers are tripped. Any ideas?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Tom,

someone just told me that they were having problems with plugs as well. They found one bad plug that wiped out the others down line. So I would recommend taking your plugs out and inspecting the wires. You'll probably find a bad plug.

Good luck and have a happy safe 4th of July

dave
Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Thanks, Dave. I traced everything back to the GFCI outlet in the bathroom. This Is THE "regular" GFCI that has the reset /test button on it. Unfortunately, I found the outlet in the tripped position and it will not reset. I'm assuming that either the outlet is bad or the GFCI breaker in the electrical panel is bad, or both.

Have a safe holiday.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Don't know why I never noticed but the outlet in our FL storage compartment and the one located on the side of the coach just to the left of the FLs storage compartment are marked "GFCI". Today I plugged my compressor into the storage compartment's outlet and no worky. Plugged it into the outside outlet and no worky. Looked at the breaker panel and none of the breakers are tripped. Any ideas?
I don't have my Redwood here to look at but I believe that the bathroom GFCI is what the remainder GFCI outlets feed from. Look at the bathroom outlet, I believe it has a set/reset button. You will need to reset that outlet to get power to the others. If there is no set/reset button on that outlet there has to be another on somewhere else or there would be a GFCI circuit breaker in the panel.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

I don't think there are GFCI "breakers" installed in the load center, just GFCI receptacles. As in a normal residence, only 1 GFCI receptacle need be installed and then GFCI required locations are connected downstream.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Thanks, Dave. I traced everything back to the GFCI outlet in the bathroom. This Is THE "regular" GFCI that has the reset /test button on it. Unfortunately, I found the outlet in the tripped position and it will not reset. I'm assuming that either the outlet is bad or the GFCI breaker in the electrical panel is bad, or both.

Have a safe holiday.
If it won't reset, then it is 1 of 2 issues.

1, the breaker is tripped. Even if it looks fine, turn it off and back on then try to reset it.
2, the issue is the GFCI. They will not reset when they are bad, have no power to them or there is something tripping it. After trying #1, test the voltage to it. if you have power, remove the load side (output) and try to reset it. IF it still does not reset, then your GFCI is bad. If it resets, then something down the line is causing it to trip and not reset. If you have no power, check the wire o the back of the breaker.

Have fun!
Old 07-02-2015, 03:42 AM   #7

Changed out the GFCI outlet and all appears to be good. Thank you for the replies.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #8

Been a while since I was on the forum. I went to add a wall socket and found out our REDWOOD has A VERY VERY BAD WALL PLUG. I have been working to fix wall plug issue. Found 2 bad wall plugs and a GFI THAT once it trips, it's bad. Tonight I was going to bed and on the way went to grab a drink out of the fridge; frigde(residential type) circuit breaker popped. Had to reset the entire panel to get fridge back on line. BTW I have ove 47 years in Electroincs and electromechanical engineering, R&M of major test equipment. Thes are the CHEAPEST I have ever seen. My best recommendation is REPLACE any wall plugs.
Redwood used Single strand wire for the back of my 2012 36 FL. Looks like road vibration may have broke several wires. Don't misunderstand, we like our REDWOOD.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #9

What type of plug did you replace them with & I'm confused on the single strand wire? I'm not an electrician, but have always done my own work, so just trying to understand the problems you've mentioned.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #10

All I've seen in my unit is romex and sj cord. Nothing unusual.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Same here. I don't care for plugs with the press in connections, but I'm pretty sure you won't find a rv by any manufacturer that uses anything else. Did you have to add some kind of box to reinstall a different plug or just leave exposed connections in the wall?
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

These are designed to be "boxless" If you replace them you have to use a shallow cut in box, or you are exposing the terminals in the back.

I'm a little lost too - Romex is always single strand. Multi strand is called SO cable I believe.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff View Post
Been a while since I was on the forum. I went to add a wall socket and found out our REDWOOD has A VERY VERY BAD WALL PLUG. I have been working to fix wall plug issue. Found 2 bad wall plugs and a GFI THAT once it trips, it's bad. Tonight I was going to bed and on the way went to grab a drink out of the fridge; frigde(residential type) circuit breaker popped. Had to reset the entire panel to get fridge back on line. BTW I have ove 47 years in Electroincs and electromechanical engineering, R&M of major test equipment. Thes are the CHEAPEST I have ever seen. My best recommendation is REPLACE any wall plugs.
Redwood used Single strand wire for the back of my 2012 36 FL. Looks like road vibration may have broke several wires. Don't misunderstand, we like our REDWOOD.

How were the outlets installed? Did RW use the push in type connections or the "wire under the screw" type connections? When you say bad outlets, describe exactly what you found. I have not checked the outlets in our unit in the 4 years of ownership..........guess I had better do that. Thanks for letting us know what you have found.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #14

Guy,
These are their own breed - nothing close to standard outlets you are talking about. These are "speed boxes" and you just strip the outer jacket, lay in the wires and squeeze. The conductor is pushed into a blade to make contact - Just like the telecom jacks, only on steroids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (17.4 KB, 79 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Guy,
These are their own breed - nothing close to standard outlets you are talking about. These are "speed boxes" and you just strip the outer jacket, lay in the wires and squeeze. The conductor is pushed into a blade to make contact - Just like the telecom jacks, only on steroids.

Brad........thanks. I definitely will be checking the outlets. I had no idea that there was such an outlet type.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
What type of plug did you replace them with & I'm confused on the single strand wire? I'm not an electrician, but have always done my own work, so just trying to understand the problems you've mentioned.
A standard home plug, easy to work with, also used multistrand wire.

Might note added a timer to the water heater so it only comes on 3 hours a day or when we want to flip the switch. Saves about 30% electricity bill.