Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Hello,
I am a new fifth wheel owner a Redwood 36RL & am very pleased with this coach. I had the factory wiring & transfer switch there for a generator, so I decided to have Camping World of Syracuse, NY install a Onan 5500 LP genset & Splendide W/D all in one machine. I contacted Redwood since they install generators at the factory to get suggestions on generator model & parts & ordered the same exhaust that RW uses & had it shipped to Camping World. The exhaust was 140" long so I had to have Onan cut the pipe down in 3 pcs. to make it UPS shippable & (3) exhaust hangers, Onan even marked the pipe were it connects & put in wedges. I explained all of this to the service writer at Camping World. The coach was supposed to be there for 1-2 days but ended up being 2 weeks. The transfer switch was bad that RW paid for under warranty.
I picked up the coach yesterday & see they backed into something & dented my ladder pretty good & the exhaust exits right out the driver side parallel to the front about 4" back under my bedroom slide. They threw away the two hangers they did not use & the other two exhaust pipes. I also had to pay $100.00 for shipping to get the exhaust to Camping World due to the size for a $32.00 exhaust. My question is does anyone have photos they could post or email me of their factory installed generator exhaust, so I can see where mine needs to exit ? I called RW today & they say it needs to exit between the two slides so the fumes won't come into my bedroom slide underneath since the seals are not airtight at all. I did see photos on here from Dave & Ginny which were very helpful thank you

blrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

I would be very ANGRY!

I actually didn't realize Redwood would send the exhaust. I went through a lot of time trying to find someone local that would fab the exhaust, but the small diameter turns most away, even Camping World. For now, I just ran it the same way your guy did, straight out the side. I'll have to figure out how to get it done the correct way someday.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

I get my new Redwood Friday. I would be happy to send you pics of the gen exhaust if you can wait that long.
pipeliner798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #4

I have the 31SL not the 36RL but by your description that is about where my exhaust comes out. The coach is at the dealer right now for warranty repairs so I do not have a picture. Edited by: KenM
Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

I have the 36 RL with factory installed gen set and the exhaust comes out just past the bedroom slide even with the right side of the water heater cover. Hope that helps.

Rick
Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #6

http://www.use.com/supersize.pl?set=...9a9ab22fb3b7ed

If this link works, here is a picture of my exhaust with a chrome tip.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #7

How can you have 140 in. of exhaust pipe? Your generator sits in the front under the hitch and the pipe goes down a few inches and goes about 4 ft to the drivers side. On mine I will make an aluminum pipe to make a 90 degree turn and go just forward of the bedroom slide and then install a gen turi pipe to carry the exhaust up and away.These kits are available at camping world for $130.00. Any time I dry camp you have to use one of these so you don't send your exhaust to the neighbors.
formulabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #8

So my previous post didn't work, but it looks like this one does. Here is a picture of my genny exhaust with a chrome tip on my 36RL.

http://www.use.com/supersize.pl?set=...3f8b63a11ba1b0

Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #9

Unfortunately, this is not the first Camping World horror story. After our experience, I vowed never to have work done there again. It was about 2 years before we even shopped there again.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #10

Here is your pick C&D.L

Isn't it weird the way the exhaust knows to go straight up between the slides
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Site Team

It's true the exhaust pipe is between the slides to help direct the fumes out away from the bottom of the slides. Also keep in mind the LP burns cleaner than gas or diesel so the fumes aren't as bad (but not perfect). That's why factories use LP forklifts instead of gas or diesel.

Camping World does sell exhaust pipes that go up the side of RVs but they're usually used with the motor homes because the generators are powered by the same fuel as the unit's engine. This could be either gas or diesel which as stated earlier causes more harmful fumes. When I run my generator, I can stand right next to it and have very little or no smell of exhaust.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #12

I was angry.
Redwood didn't send the exhaust they told me the part number & where they get it from which was Onan Indiana. Do you have any problems with fumes coming into your bedroom slide ?
I tried to post some pics of my current install but was unsure how to use the insert image screen

Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #13

Great I would like that thanks

Old 08-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #14

Hi Rick,
Thanks that is helpful !
Does it run straight back from the genset then 90 degree turn to the drivers side ?
Thanks,
Brian

Old 08-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Site Team

If you look close you can see my exhaust pipe in my signature picture which is between my slides. No, I don't get any fumes in my trailer at all. I do usually open the ceiling vent in the bedroom just in case but last winter in a blizzard I kept it all closed up without a problem.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #16

That link worked great. Thanks I like the chrome tip where did you find that ?
Thanks,
Brian

Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Site Team

As you can see from this picture my exhaust pipe is right by the middle jack on the drivers side. (this was taken before I added the chrome tip)

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrover
That link worked great. Thanks I like the chrome tip where did you find that ?
Thanks,
Brian

"Travelinanderson" aka Steve had posted a link about a year ago for the exhaust tips. Check some of his past posts and you'll find it. I believe it was $20
Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulabill
How can you have 140 in. of exhaust pipe? Your generator sits in the front under the hitch and the pipe goes down a few inches and goes about 4 ft to the drivers side. On mine I will make an aluminum pipe to make a 90 degree turn and go just forward of the bedroom slide and then install a gen turi pipe to carry the exhaust up and away.These kits are available at camping world for $130.00. Any time I dry camp you have to use one of these so you don't send your exhaust to the neighbors.
That is the total length it runs 98" back from the genset then 90 degree turn 46" to exit between slides. I checked out the gen turi. My bedroom slide is in the way for one of those, unless I move the exhaust forward of the slide like you said.
Thanks,
Brian
Old 08-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny

As you can see from this picture my exhaust pipe is right by the middle jack on the drivers side. (this was taken before I added the chrome tip)
Thanks Dave,
Does your pipe come out at an angle ? From this photo it looks like it might. Is that your slinky storage tube next to it ? Does it get hot enough to melt that ?
Thanks,
Brian