Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Foxfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 420
Furnace vs Heat pump

My 31sl has the same problem as my 28 TT had. When using the furnace there's one register in the bedroom, one in the bathroom and only one register in the living dining room. When the furnace is on, the bedroom is hot the bathroom is a steam room and the living dining room is tough to heat up.
We had heat pumps installed in my RW. This weekend we got a chance to try it out. What a pleasure to have heat come out of a dozen different registers all throughout the rig. It heated all the rooms uniformly and not one room much warmer than the others. If you close the bedroom door the bedroom became warmer than I liked it but a much better solution than using the furnace. IMHO
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Ya even with the heat pumps the bedroom can get pretty hot unless you close down the vents.

You can get adjustable vents and block down the bedroom and bathroom -

http://www.dwincorp.com/index.php
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
My 31sl has the same problem as my 28 TT had. When using the furnace there's one register in the bedroom, one in the bathroom and only one register in the living dining room. When the furnace is on, the bedroom is hot the bathroom is a steam room and the living dining room is tough to heat up.
We had heat pumps installed in my RW. This weekend we got a chance to try it out. What a pleasure to have heat come out of a dozen different registers all throughout the rig. It heated all the rooms uniformly and not one room much warmer than the others. If you close the bedroom door the bedroom became warmer than I liked it but a much better solution than using the furnace. IMHO
We have the 31sl also and we still have not been able to figure out how Redwood ran the heat ducts in the floor. First, we wondered why only one duct in living room area when it is such a large area, then we discovered that we think there is a vent at the base of the island on the rear side but we believe in order to get the air out of it some kind of deflector needs to be built otherwise the air goes into the island area. For some reason there are several holes under or in the island allowing the furnace air to go into the island. Haven't completely figured it out yet but the first time we used ours, the island drawers to the left of the sink got so hot that if you had a candy bar in them it would melt. We are still investigating. The dealer we purchased from contacted Redwood about the heat in the island and never really got an explanation. The tech at the dealership was able to cover a hole he found in the island area and did resolve some of the severe heat that was in the island.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Foxfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 420
Speaking as a Redwood newbie owner but using my knowledge as a mechanic some of it makes sense. If Redwood is advertising their rigs to be good to -20 degrees it makes sense to have heat where the water pipes run. I haven't noticed any unusual heat in the island but I have noticed a lot of heat in the floor under the shower pan. When you step into the shower barefoot the floor is definitely warm to the touch. The 2 places that have water the island and the bathroom having extra heat running there makes sense.
I'll be in the rig Wed. for 2 weeks and will pay attention to any extra or excess heat in the island. But as far as I can see there's still only one heat register in the living, dining room.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
Speaking as a Redwood newbie owner but using my knowledge as a mechanic some of it makes sense. If Redwood is advertising their rigs to be good to -20 degrees it makes sense to have heat where the water pipes run. I haven't noticed any unusual heat in the island but I have noticed a lot of heat in the floor under the shower pan. When you step into the shower barefoot the floor is definitely warm to the touch. The 2 places that have water the island and the bathroom having extra heat running there makes sense.
I'll be in the rig Wed. for 2 weeks and will pay attention to any extra or excess heat in the island. But as far as I can see there's still only one heat register in the living, dining room.
I agree with the extra heat where pipes are but it was excessive in the island. We have not noticed that the shower pan is warm. Do you have a cutout in the kick plate at the bottom of the island to the right of the sink? That is where we are thinking maybe the intent is for warm air to heat the kitchen area.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
When I had the basement apart, I noticed 5 3" flex ducts, of which some were tapped with 2" leading to the belly directly below the floor and one up and over the basement ceiling to the basement grille in the ceiling by the front.

I have 2 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom, 1 in the bathroom. There is a grille on the stairs, but I think that may be return air - that leaves one mystery one I may have to chase down next time out.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
NW Snowbirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 299
Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
I agree with the extra heat where pipes are but it was excessive in the island. We have not noticed that the shower pan is warm. Do you have a cutout in the kick plate at the bottom of the island to the right of the sink? That is where we are thinking maybe the intent is for warm air to heat the kitchen area.
We have the 31SL and the heat pours out of the island duct which exits beneath the trash drawer. You should also check that the ducts are connected to the manifold coming out of the furnace. It is necessary to remove the sidewall in the basement adjacent to the convenience center. There are three ducts attached with metallic duct tape. The tape looses it "stick", the manifold falls off and the hot air fills the sub basement area eventually going thru the ducts. This situation has happened to many of us RW owners. It's possible that may help explain a warm shower floor.
__________________
2012 Redwood 31SL chasing 2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax SRW
NW Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
When I had the basement apart, I noticed 5 3" flex ducts, of which some were tapped with 2" leading to the belly directly below the floor and one up and over the basement ceiling to the basement grille in the ceiling by the front.

I have 2 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom, 1 in the bathroom. There is a grille on the stairs, but I think that may be return air - that leaves one mystery one I may have to chase down next time out.
If I remember right, the Redwood brochure states that redwood used a solid duct that runs through the middle of the unit. If that is true, why would you run flex ducts to all the registers? Am I reading the brochure wrong?
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Foxfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 420
I know the register on the stairs is an intake, there's also an intake to the right of the refrigerator down near the floor but on the vertical wall under that 3" deep closet. I didn't notice a vent anywhere on the island but I'll look this weekend.
I did see the manifold for the ducts in the basement there is a cut out just barely big enough to tilt your head and look in which is directly under the shower floor.
Stuff to keep me busy while trying to relax while on vacation.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
We have the 31SL and the heat pours out of the island duct which exits beneath the trash drawer. You should also check that the ducts are connected to the manifold coming out of the furnace. It is necessary to remove the sidewall in the basement adjacent to the convenience center. There are three ducts attached with metallic duct tape. The tape looses it "stick", the manifold falls off and the hot air fills the sub basement area eventually going thru the ducts. This situation has happened to many of us RW owners. It's possible that may help explain a warm shower floor.
I had the duct come loose from my bedroom register and I had to fix that. It was taped up with duct tape. I've looked under the belly but I have a hard time seeing where all the flex ducts end up. So, far after my first fix, we seem to be getting air through all the vents but not much under the island, and that may be why the island gets so hot. We have quartz countertops and even that got very warm to the touch.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.