Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 12:57 AM   #1

Furnace failure

Needed our furnace for the first time this weekend. Unfortunately, it let us down. When I turned on the furnace at the thermostat, all I heard was a "click". I'm assuming the thermostat recognized that my temperature setting was higher than the room temperature and the "click" I heard was the thermostat sending its start signal to the furnace. I checked the fuse in the thermostat and it tested good. Need to empty the basement, take down the walls and get to work. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for when all of the mess is cleared out?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:12 AM   #2

Having not yet received my new RW I am not sure if they use the same type of setup as my old RV but it had paddle switches that allowed the furnace to light after the blower was running for a couple of seconds. You may want to start with checking power to the blower motor or if it turns freely.
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:19 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
1st thing to do is insure you have propane and that it is turned on and also the regulator switch is turned in the direction of the propane bottle that is open. 2nd would be to open the outside cover for the furnace and make sure the connections are tight. Have someone adjust the thermostat to higher than the inside temp and listen for the starter clicking to ignite if that does not work get either a 12v test light or voltmeter to see if you are getting power to the selinoide. If you are try tapping on it with the end of a screwdriver this sometimes works if that is the problem
Old 11-16-2015, 01:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Needed our furnace for the first time this weekend. Unfortunately, it let us down. When I turned on the furnace at the thermostat, all I heard was a "click". I'm assuming the thermostat recognized that my temperature setting was higher than the room temperature and the "click" I heard was the thermostat sending its start signal to the furnace. I checked the fuse in the thermostat and it tested good. Need to empty the basement, take down the walls and get to work. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for when all of the mess is cleared out?

You need to make sure all the air is purged from the LP lines. Try you gas range first (if you have the gas range),then the refrigerator, then the waterheater on LP until you hear it ignite, and then then the furnace. The furnace should try to ignite 3 times......if it is unsuccessful, turn it off at the thermostat then back on. You may need to try this several times. Generally, I only have to do this process once and the furnace is ready to go.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:59 AM   #5

When you get this figured out, let the rest of us learn from you. Please post what you find.
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

We had the exact same symptoms last winter (when it was at freezing temps overnight!), I heard a click at the thermostat indicating that it was calling for heat but nothing happened at the furnace. I called a tech and it was a bad main board. The tech did the troubleshooting to confirm that the board was bad and he replaced it.

As I recall, the board sits on top (and is bolted to) the fan.

I'm betting that it's your problem as well.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:11 AM   #7

We just had our furnace go south on us. I have seen all the posts about LP regulators, air in the LP system, sail switches, etc. and all have proven fruitless. As it turns out our the squirrel cage fan blades were somehow broken and therefore unit is not proving enough air flow to activate sail switch thus no combustion. Sounds strange but true. I was checking and rechecking everything and the mobile tech that I asked to come out and diagnose the problem took one look and stated implicitly "well I will be damned, that's the first time I have ever seen this one."

All of the explanations for a crapped out furnace were absolutely plausible but I always have to do things a little differently. Just saying.....

If you hear a loud unusual rumbling when your fan is running then the unit shuts down after 30 seconds or so, check your fan blades..... (you may find them in the bottom of the furnace case) They are after all is said and done made of plastic.
6.6 Liter Duramax Diesel w/ 6 Speed Allison Trans
Rhilton284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:42 AM   #8

That's almost as unique as my buddy that had a mouse try to crawl under the squirrel cage and jammed it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
That's almost as unique as my buddy that had a mouse try to crawl under the squirrel cage and jammed it.
That's just the way I roll, always different..... Ha! Ha!
6.6 Liter Duramax Diesel w/ 6 Speed Allison Trans
Rhilton284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 AM   #10

Just had mine looked at today. The fan would start. but the furnace would not ignite. We took the cover off, and blew it with air. Half of Arizona came out. Took of the inside cover and cleaned the contacts. Put it back together, and it's working again.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #11

Yeah, I get nuthin', except the click of the thermostat. I'm going to tear into it this weekend...just in time for the temps to take a bit of a plunge hear in KY. More than likely an electronic/electrical issue.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #12

Yeah, I get nuthin', except the click of the thermostat. I'm going to tear into it this weekend...just in time for the temps to take a bit of a plunge here in KY. More than likely an electronic/electrical issue.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #13

Mark from Good Sam's blog just posted some good information on furnaces. Try this link: Mark My Words - November: Furnaces, 12V Issues, Tires and Slides -

If you cannot get to the article let me know and I will post the text.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder View Post
Mark from Good Sam's blog just posted some good information on furnaces. Try this link: Mark My Words - November: Furnaces, 12V Issues, Tires and Slides -

If you cannot get to the article let me know and I will post the text.
Thanks, Dean.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #15

I replaced the electronic control module board and all is good...just in time for our trip up to Gettysburg for Christmas.
Toughest part of that job was getting the duct work reconnected. No room at all to maneuver.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #16

Is there more than one electric control panel? If there is only one, it can be easily changed from the outside.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I replaced the electronic control module board and all is good...just in time for our trip up to Gettysburg for Christmas.
Toughest part of that job was getting the duct work reconnected. No room at all to maneuver.
Tom,

I'm glad you got it fixed in time for the next trip. I hope you have a safe, healthy and wonderful Christmas
Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Tom,

I'm glad you got it fixed in time for the next trip. I hope you have a safe, healthy and wonderful Christmas
Back 'atcha, Dave. Our best wishes to Ginny as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
Is there more than one electric control panel? If there is only one, it can be easily changed from the outside.
Since I wanted to bench test the furnace, I remove the assembly. I figured if I was going to do the work, I should also replace the $6 limit switch.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
'Ya know, Elliott, you're absolutely correct. I didn't realize that you could remove the blower/burner assembly without removing the entire case. I would have been that much further ahead of the game. Now I know. Anyone need a furnace e installed?
Old 12-25-2015, 02:42 AM   #20

I was able to remove just the board, and nothing else.