Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

My wife and I plan on retiring in the next 2 years, sell the house and go full timing in a Redwood 36 FL. Is there anyone within the forum that is full timing and my question is, how long did it take to make the transition. My wife is scared that it might not be what she expects. We plan on selling our home and this is what bothers her. If someone can help me to make her feel comfortable I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Site Team

There is another thread with the same subject. You might check it out.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

Thanks, I am going through the rest of the forum to see what else I can find out. Some of the responses are great and I hope to get more info to help me.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Odie8415] My wife and I plan on retiring in the next 2 years, sell the house and go full timing in a Redwood 36 FL. Is there anyone within the forum that is full timing and my question is, how long did it take to make the transition. My wife is scared that it might not be what she expects. We plan on selling our home and this is what bothers her. If someone can help me to make her feel comfortable I would appreciate it.

Thanks

My wife and I have been full time for over two years now. We sold our house and most of what we owned. We got a 36RL and hit the road and have been camphosting. We had no problem making the transition to RV life. We spent the winter with the Florida state parks and are now heading to McCormick SC to be paid Gate attendants at Hawes creek camp ground for the summer. We think its is a great life for us
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie8415
Thanks, I am going through the rest of the forum to see what else I can find out. Some of the responses are great and I hope to get more info to help me.
We are in the same situation as you are except a little further ahead. We decided in Oct of 2011 to go ahead with this plan. We are in our mid 50s and decided that it's now or never.We placed our house up for sale in Feb 2012 and started selling our 'stuff' via garage sales and internet classifieds. The house sold in July with possession in late Sep. We are in Canada and Sep was too late to get an RV. We planon ordering an FL also. We packed up the rest of our stuff and rented an appartment until the RV arrives. We did order and have received our truck but I negotiated with the dealer to keep it until Apr 1, once againCanadian winters. The RV is not ordered yet, I am waiting for the 2014s to be available.

Like most full-timers this process can take many months if not years. I believe the biggest issue is to stay focused. Making the decision, which can be diffcult enough, is the easy part. What is moredifficultis the execution. There are many steps to go through. Selling the house and most of your belongings is never an easy decision but we maintained focus by trying to picture ourselves travelling with no real agenda in mind. That is a poweful concept since any trips taken in the past, in the back of your head you know that you need to get back 'home'. Well that feeling should disapear since you are tagging your home with you.
The process can also be simplified if you can make decisions and stick to them. When we started we scanned 'tons ofinfo' on RVs and finally decided on the Redwood when I found outthey existed. This forum has been extremely helpful, I joined in Apr 2012 and pretty much check it on a daily basis. While the Redwood is not perfect, there seems to be general acceptance and the company supports its products.

Good luck in your adventure!
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #6

Another idea if you can make it work would be to "long time" for the first year to make sure it is something that the both of you want to do long term. Maybe think about keeping the house for another year and take 2-3 month trips, gradually going longer each time to see how you both feel. If it does not work out, you still have your house to come back to and can keep the coach for vacation/winter options or sell it all together and try something else. I sold my house last year and hit the rv lifestyle full time and have no regrets about it. I admit there are days I look back and think I'd like to have a house but usually that lasts about 15 mins until I realize that I do have a house - it just happens to be on wheels and I am free to go wherever I want. I have many friends on the road that have traveled all over the country each year. I also have friends who are full timing and go back to the town where their friends & family are. They spend either all summer or part of the summer there and then head southbound for the winters. It keeps them in touch with family and friends and provides them an opportunity to travel as they make their way north in the spring and south in the fall. The options are endless - the hardest part is making the leap of faith and going for it. I wish you the best outcome possible and the one that is right for you and your wife.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

Hi,

We bought our Truck and Redwood 38BR last year with a plan to retire in late 2014 and full time. I did some online research looking for Full Time RVer blogs and bought an e-book for Canadians since our laws related to taxes and health care are different. We spent 6 weeks this summer traveling Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Quebec... we were sorry we had to go home.

Unfortunately for me, we are now going to build a new stix and brix for retirement and RV as well. Need to win the Power Ball!

Do your research and try to go for long trips first before you sell... if it feels good, then do it.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #8

We are doing the same. We have 2 weeks left in our house then were free! I just turned 50. Were going to travel around to where ever my work takes me full timing it. Focus is key when it comes time to sell stuff. And the one word that is key is STUFF. Its just stuff. So get rid of it. If you put it into storage its going to cost you at least $600 for 6 months. And most likely there will be some damage to the stored items. So sell it, give it away, or donate it. My wife has just about everything sold inside of the house. Only have a entertainment center and office deck left and a tv. Now the garage's are a whole nother story. But if you price things right it will move. We are looking forward to Full timing. We figured that if it doesn't work out, we'll buy a couple acres of land build a big garage to pull the FL in and call it home. Alot less taxes and easy to shut down if we want to go traveling for a while. Cant wait till its all over and were on the road.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote