Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Full or Empty Tanks for Travel

We've had several discussions on traveling with full or empty tanks, and the manual is SILENT on the topic -

Beware! (this is the same &*%@ that denied my spring claim through Redwood 2 years ago - fortunately the Redwood at the time picked it up)

Some other brand, but just listen to the logic (or lack of logic) that went into making this determination -

Mr. Gran,

After reviewing the photos and the weight information, LCI will maintain our denial of your frame issue based on the following:

1. If this was a basic design flaw in the frame, we would see multiple units with the same issue. LCI designs the frame and submits them to the OEM (Forest River in this case) with recommendations if needed for final approval.
2. Photos clearly show that the U-bolts have struck the underside of the frame which is attributed to either striking a pothole, running over an obstruction or from overloading.

3. Photos also show that supports for tanks are bowing down which implies traveling with fluid in the tanks. Since tanks are not baffled this allows for fluid to transfer freely within the tank causing undue stress to supports as well as the I-beam itself, in this case located just in front of the axle area where you are experiencing torsional cracking.

Based on the information presented, and the lack of history regarding failures of this type on the Forest River Stealth model, LCI must stand behind the denial of your claim. We have been in discussion with Forest River representative and they are in agreement with our denial. Please contact LCI should you require assistance as to the process for repairing your coach.

Regards,

Brad Smith
Lippert Components, Inc
Call Center Technical Supervisor
Customer Service Division #39
1701 Century Dr.
Goshen, IN 46528
574-537-8900 – Office
574-534-7161 - Fax
www.lci1.com/dealerhomepage

We've had a few Redwood tank supports fail - wonder how the warranty turned out?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

We seldom travel with the tanks full. In fact, we only use the fresh water tank when we know we won't have water where we plan on staying. I figure why pull around the extra weight. I really haven't considered that it might cause frame damage traveling with full tanks. Thought they rigs I've owned were made to pull with tanks empty OR full. Sometimes we don't really have a choice.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Don't go more than 200 miles with full tanks!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #4

Not sure what the purpose of having tanks would be if you have to tow empty. If we just hop full hookup to full hookup, we could have just bought park models without tanks.

My fresh is full to the brim when we leave the house, that's why I bought a self contained RV! Many of the parks we travel to do not have water.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #5

This is another one of those LUDICROUS ideas, not using the tanks. I will admit we travel as empty as possible for weight reasons, but STRUCTURALLY it should be a NON ISSUE. We ALWAYS travel with some fresh water for toilet flushing and whatever else, but try to dump all waste tanks for ECONOMY. If my black tank falls out on the freeway, I will personally call "Mr. Lippert" and "Mr. Redwood" and all their cronies to come and mop it up.

Is there no end to the excuses? It's epic. Does it really cost THAT much more to do it right? GOOD GOD

Next thing you know: "We see that you have been actually flushing the toilet, and that will void the warranty."

Has there been a bunch of tank failures? Our dealership FILLED our freshwater tank on delivery... SO that was a bad thing?

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:07 AM   #6
Site Team

I Always pulled my Redwood with at least 1/3 tank of fresh water and many times it was filled to the brim. I've had a few times where I had my grey tanks nearly full at the same time without issue. My MH is always full when I leave home because it rides better.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:39 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
These things are or should be designed to run with all tanks full all the time. Otherwise they would be falling out all over the place
Old 07-19-2015, 04:28 AM   #8

Everyone will have their own reasons for having full tanks or not. I personally don't see the need to carry all that extra weight unless I was going somewhere that didn't have water. I normally stay at full hook up campgrounds and stop frequently for bathroom breaks during our trips.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:54 AM   #9
S&K

We stay at full hook up campgrounds exclusively.

Lately, we have been keeping the galley, black & grey water tanks partially full as we travel (a short distance, maybe 4 hrs max) to make sure we 'jostle' around the ingredients in there. Trying to get the sensors to read right again.... I fear this may take some time.

Our dealership added water to our fresh water tank at the PDI, but we usually don't travel with much in that at all.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #10

I wonder if this Brad Smith character gets an annual bonus for what he does to all the customers out there?
Old 07-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
Don't go more than 200 miles with full tanks!
When you hit 200 miles you have to get out and readjust them
Old 07-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #12

Personally I travel with Grey tanks empty 5 gal in black and 10 gallons in fresh. As stated above there is no sense In hauling the extra weight if not needed. If needed they should be designed to run full
Old 07-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #13

This is in a Forest River Stealth ... That is a toy hauler that very typically boondocks. How in the hell do you head for the middle of a sand dune or forest with nothing in your tanks? This simply says, buy a pretty trailer and park it in your driveway to look at and your warranty will be fine unless of course if you neighbor touches it or you tow it more than 200 miles to get it home then everything is void.
Seems like some very good law firm is going to realize the consumer fraud going on in the RV industry and make a very handsome living suing the crap out of these ruthless manufacturers.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 PM   #14

Question.... has anyone all of a sudden had a lot of furniture shifting, doos opening and such just because they dared travel with almost full fresh water tank? I don't know what could have caused so much shifting if it weren't the level in the fresh tank. We have a 2012 36FB.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #15

We have an FB also & don't travel with fresh water. If you have the Tri Glide hitch you may want to adjust the air pressure, if you normally run it with say 70 psi without water, you may want to lower to say 50psi or up it to 85 with water & see which works best.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:19 PM   #16

I travel with full water on our 36rl and it actually smooths the ride
Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #17

Thanks for the thoughts. No on MorRyde. Any other thoughts on why the sudden movement of furniture and doors opening? I was wondering if it could be some issue with broken leaf spring? Didn't see anything wrong.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:30 AM   #18

Geez... we paid for a generator so we could boon dock if we wanted. Guess I have to pack a pump to load the water tank when I get there or drill a well. Maybe the guy used to be a Canadian Senator before he got the Lippert job.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #19

Then way do they put a sticker on the door that tells you how much a full tank of freash water weight, and to reduce your cargo by that much?

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:45 AM   #20

Excellent point superduty!!!!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote