Old 08-06-2015, 03:27 AM   #1

Front Cap fading

Just noticed that the front cap on our 2014 is fading. Is anyone else having this problem? Do they have to replace the who end cap when this happens?
Garryschmidt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:39 AM   #2

Is this a full body paint unit
I know the the non painted units have had problems with the front and rear cap fading. Redwood has stood behind most of them and had them redone. Within the warrenty period
Old 08-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #3

No, not a full paint. From what I read, they first try to buff them out without very good results. Hopefully we can skip this step and go right to a permanent fix.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:37 AM   #4

I have a 2014 Redwood 38BR with the same tan gelcoat cap (non-painted) and am having fading issues also. It seems to be a known issue based on the initial response I got from the customer service representative............but unfortunate for me I bought my coach used so the Redwood rep told me I would be on my own. Was pretty bummed out to find out a company knows they have an issue but wont make it right on a unit because its not the original owner. To me that type of customer service just kills your resale. Who wants a coach that's nearly new but your shunned when there is a warranty type issue. Live and learn I guess! It was not that way with my previous coaches.............both NUWA and TETON were excellent to deal with.
Moos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:58 AM   #5

I think I'd call the RW GM & throw a fit. The fading problem has been on those gelcoat units since the beginning. Whether you are the original owner or not, that's a manufacturer defect.

Danny & Linda
Fulltimers since 2008
2013 Denali 3500 drw 4x4 d/a
2013 RW 36 FB black & tan
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #6

We have a 2013 36 RL. Not full body paint and they fixed ours. It was out of warranty and they didn't hesitate. So far they have been very easy to deal with. Hope that continues.
Russ & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #7

My current RV has a gel coat nose cap that also is fading. This is an industry wide issue actually.
The company will pay a collision center of my choice to paint it. They already sent decals to my dealer. Now I just have to figure out how to do it. I've been living in this since March. While working in Louisiana . Can't just drop it off somewhere. Wish they could just come here and spray it. But no one will.
This is another reason I'm looking at the investment of full paint on my next one. But seems like full paint is still a lot of money.
azandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #8

Any RV that has color infused gelcoat caps will fade .END OF STORY!! You can prolong it but it will happen.. My last one ,like Andy's had that style and i almost killed myself trying to keep it shinney... This time around i was not doing that again....Joe

http://i.imgur.com/D0Lp87sl.jpg
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #9

Ford Truck Guy When you spend $100,000 for a unit, store it inside, take care of it, it should not fade within the first year!!!! I refuse to pay them their exorbitant prices for a full paint job. I saw an invoice which showed what the actual price of a full paint job and how much the dealer makes. It was outrageous. I spent the extra money on a Redwood because at the time I believed I was buying quality and service.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garryschmidt50 View Post
Ford Truck Guy When you spend $100,000 for a unit, store it inside, take care of it, it should not fade within the first year!!!! I refuse to pay them their exorbitant prices for a full paint job. I saw an invoice which showed what the actual price of a full paint job and how much the dealer makes. It was outrageous. I spent the extra money on a Redwood because at the time I believed I was buying quality and service.
Garry,
I agree with you, but unfortunatly as long as the process of infusing color into gelcoat is around, there will be issues. We could spend 200K on a trailer with the same process and have it happen... I had an old Holiday Rambler that sat in the Florida sun for a long time, had it stripped and painted, then 2 coats of clear... No more worries.. I hope it all works out for you, it sounds like RW is helping others with this issue...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote