Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 03:20 AM   #21

I agree, I see all kinds of different brands of 5ers and Travel Trailers with color infused front and rear caps that are fading after just a few years.
This is not just a Redwood problem, it is an industry wide problem, some manufacturers have changed to painted front and rear caps with Gel Coat side walls as a fix due to the problem.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:22 AM   #22

I was shopping for a TT with my daughter and its sad - they Dealer is painting some of the inventory units that faded before they even got sold.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #23

The paint shop that painted my front cap told me that he paints as many as 5 each week because of fading. Redwood is not sold in this area but another manufacturer with a gray front cap is and they are having the same problem. He also told me that he has a process that he can apply for much less money and will make it look new again but only lasts about a year or 2 and then looks bad again. He said some dealers will take in a trade and have the cheaper process applied to get a quick turn around sale and then a year later the owner sees the fading show up. I just can't believe that a dealer would do such a thing, RIGHT!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #24

I have said it before on other forums and have been tossed under the bus for saying it....

ANY RV that has the OLD STYLE Color INFUSED Gelcoat . has a higher probability of major fading issues...It does not matter who the manufacturer is , they ALL could have it happen.. It is what they do to better their product that will separate them from the rest.
I was looking at a Cedar Creek before ! purchased the Redwood... everyone raves about their Cedar Creeks... I spoke to the factory , and their caps are STILL done the old way... You have to pay to get the better full body paint.. At least RW is MAKING us now buy full body , that will hopefully eliminate more issues.. I don't think it was a RW thing... I think it was and still is a learning curve with all the colors used now.. The old days of a plain white coach are long gone...
it is just my opinion is all... so Please don't flame me !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #25

I bought it new. It would seem after reading the replies that I'm not the only one with this problem. That doesn't make me any happier though. I guess I'll try the Poly-Glow.
Old Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #26

Hello, My 31SL is currently back at the dealer, they are having the front cap gel coat redone but will take about three weeks to complete.
whitbyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitbyboy View Post
Hello, My 31SL is currently back at the dealer, they are having the front cap gel coat redone but will take about three weeks to complete.
It will be interesting to know exactly what they do to it. Is it being covered under warranty? From what I understand, the only true solution is to paint it.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:30 AM   #28

Fortunately, my caps faded within the 2 year warranty period. I say this tongue in cheek, but if it was bound to happen, it happened at the right time.

As a working boat owner, my last 2 boats have been green gelcoat. They require a much larger amount off effort to keep them from fading, but eventually do. Now, a lot of boat manufacturers are painting them, rather than using dark gelcoat. The darker colors absorb the heat rather than reflecting it, though white gel fades, but you don't know it. My current boat is being painted with a linear polyethylene paint, which shouldn't fade for years.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 AM   #29

There have been issues with the dark paint over gelcoat as well. I had to wait in line at a body shop to get some gel work done (SOB), because Newmar authorized them to repaint 25 new units that had spider cracked paint which got worse on the darker colors. My Uncle evidently didn't get the memo on his, as I noticed one whole side needs repainted on his MH.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:30 AM   #30

Depending on the resin in the fibreglass, it is possible that the type of paint is not compatible with the gelcoat, and hairline cracks in the paint can develop. I had this happen to me on the bulkhead of my boat. I mistakenly used epoxy paint over a poly resin fibreglass patch.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
Depending on the resin in the fibreglass, it is possible that the type of paint is not compatible with the gelcoat, and hairline cracks in the paint can develop. I had this happen to me on the bulkhead of my boat. I mistakenly used epoxy paint over a poly resin fibreglass patch.
Actually I think that was exactly what he said the problem was - something about the gelcoat underneath messing with the paint!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #32

I recollect when they began presenting shaded gel in Motorhomes - Dolphin with its dim and blue, Southwind with a few tans - they were blurring so terrible so rapidly we ran with an aluminum smooth sided Holiday Rambler.
medium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by medium View Post
I recollect when they began presenting shaded gel in Motorhomes - Dolphin with its dim and blue, Southwind with a few tans - they were blurring so terrible so rapidly we ran with an aluminum smooth sided Holiday Rambler.
Exactly what I did! Couldn't stand those faded corrugated fiberglass sided Fleetwoods and dull dolphins, - however, I dodged many hail storms but the hail would have made short work of the HR.