Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 08:05 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank

I am having an issue with my fresh water tank. When I connect to city water some how it is causing my fresh water tank to overfill and drip. I am not aware of any cross connection between the two. Does anyone know what could be happening?

Thank You
Lew Bacchieri
Lew Bacchieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #2

This has been covered on here many times, but here's the short answer:

When connected to city water, the cold water lines and the water pump lines join so it's a transferless system when going from city to onboard water and back. Therefore there has to be a mechanism to inhibit the city water from going past the pump and out the suction side into the fresh water tank. Normally there are (is) check valves in the body of the pump to prevent this. A lot of us have had this issue of these check valves leaking..........the result is then the fresh water tank fills from the city water connection. In most, if not all of the Redwood models, there is a quarter turn valve between the fresh water tank and the inlet of the pump. It's normally used to pipe the inlet of the pump to the winterizing hose--------to stick into the RV anti-freeze. I just close that quarter turn valve all the time, as we usually are only hooked up to city water. If you open that small door in the rear basement wall (on ours the street side) you should be able to see it with a flashlight. I can operate ours through this small door, but if you can't you can take down that one panel to access. If you still want to use on board water you can either turn the valve back on or replace the pump with a new one.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #3

Check out these threads for additional info:

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...ssue-5275.html

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...be-2853-2.html

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...alve-4529.html

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...value-882.html

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #4

Common problem, there is a check valve at the pump which can stick and allow the water to bypass into the fresh water tank.

You can stop it short term by opening the curved wall in your basement and closing one of the two valves there by the pump. Permanently you need to replace the pump or get the valve unstuck.

Now that you know there is an overflow, you have uncovered another potential issue. Once the tank overflows it begins a symphony which will draw 2/3 of the water out of the tank once the leak filling it is stopped. Many put a valve on that overflow. There is a secondary overflow but be cautious about filling and expanding that tank and bursting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote