Old 12-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #1

Fresh water tank

When I fill my fresh water tank with water and get to the point where water starts running out the overflow tube, I immediately turn off the water and stop filling the tank. However, the water will continue to flow out the overflow tube for a half hour or longer and drain my tank down to 1/3 full. What’s happening? Anyone else have this problem? How do I keep the tank full? Do I need to pinch the overflow tube to keep water in the tank?
Rogerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

They often start a siphon that does exactly that. Many, including myself, have put a valve on the overflow. I use a cheap garden hose water
gauge to tell me how many gallons I am adding to the tank. Or you can open the valve then close when full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #3

There have been several Threads here about this issue.

I also put a valve on mine. Don't forget to open it when you are filling!

You can get these at Home Depot or Lowes and just use a regular hose clamp.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #4

Did the same on both our RWs
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:15 AM   #5

home depot sells a shark bit valve that fits the overflow hose.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 split tranny, auto ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
There have been several Threads here about this issue.

I also put a valve on mine. Don't forget to open it when you are filling!

You can get these at Home Depot or Lowes and just use a regular hose clamp.

Do you even care about opening the the overflow valve? What happens if you forget? Won't it just overflow the inlet, and then you know it's full?
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

Then you would be putting pressurized water into a closed system. You could potentially blow off a line or even burst the tank. Not guaranteed, but risky at the least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountrybarry View Post
Then you would be putting pressurized water into a closed system. You could potentially blow off a line or even burst the tank. Not guaranteed, but risky at the least.

My 2017 31SL just has an open inlet to the fresh water tank that you stick the hose in, so it's not pressurized. However, it's probably difficult to add water and burp the air from the tank thru the inlet with the overflow closed off. I think I may have answered my own question...time for a trip to Home Depot.
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
My 2017 31SL just has an open inlet to the fresh water tank that you stick the hose in, so it's not pressurized. However, it's probably difficult to add water and burp the air from the tank thru the inlet with the overflow closed off. I think I may have answered my own question...time for a trip to Home Depot.

Interesting, my 2018 3901 MB has a hose connection, no other venting possibility.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #10

Unless they changed the design, there are two overflow/vents. The one that starts flowing early (blue), and the actual overflow/vent (white) that was supposed to be attached to the fill fixture. Rather than allow overflow to fill the basement floor, Redwood removed the white ventline from the fill fixture and pushed it down through to ground by the frame.

I would typically fill my tank until water started flowing out the blue vent. Then I would close my installed valve on that line and throttle down the flow and fill until it came out the white vent to ensure I was full.

The left blue tube is the drain (forward) and the right is the one I added the valve to.

The white drain peeking out through the system drain valves is the true overfill/vent.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote