Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #1

fresh water tank

What us best way to keep this when not going to be used for several months- filled/unfilled? Stored it one summer with a few inched or water and it created a lot of growth in tank which I would like to avoid. When I drain it it still allows an inch or so in tank - short of using compressed air, whch is the better eway to leave it? maybe use some type additive?
dave neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave neo View Post
What us best way to keep this when not going to be used for several months- filled/unfilled? Stored it one summer with a few inched or water and it created a lot of growth in tank which I would like to avoid. When I drain it it still allows an inch or so in tank - short of using compressed air, whch is the better eway to leave it? maybe use some type additive?

Fill it 1/3 full and add 1/2 to one cup of regular chlorine bleach to it. When ready to use again, drain and rinse the tank.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #3

Safety is the best approach..bacteria does and will build up.. in the tank and waterlines. (if left to sit stagnate ) If you won`t be using your unit for a few weeks or longer.. I suggest draining the tanks fresh/ hot water. AND lines.. then b4 your next outing, flush/sterilizing tank/lines/waterheater.. just as you would when de-winterizing. Some people have an aversion and allergic type reactions to heavy concentrations of chlorine. I suggest using a sterilizing solution such as Sodium Meta-Bi-Sulphate or Potassium-Meta-Bi-Sulphate. Both are widely used in the food industry to sterilize processing equipment and in the wine making process. Both will not harm the water lines or taps.. a little more expensive than chlorine bleach.. but quite effective and environmentally friendly. Both products can purchased in bulk. from your local beer/wine making store or from most industrial supply houses. This is what I do.(We like fresh pure water) $20 bucks should get enough powder to last you 5+ years of doing this routine 10x a year.. 2.2 kilo bag around here is $18
mesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #4

thanks for comments.. I've done that to sanitize it but never left the bleach water in there for long periods - I imagine bleach diluted that much should be OK for the fittings, etc. for several months
dave neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Site Team

I use the bleach method too. After filling the tank with the bleach solution, I run the solution through all the water lines. That way bacteria doesn't grow in them either.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

I've always just drained mine for storage. Typically you can get that last two inches to drain if you leave the drain open while towing it home.

I've never had issues with stuff growing in the tanks or lines, but that could be climate related too - we are pretty arid here.

When filling the tank in spring, I use the bleach solution, also charging all the lines off the tank, then let it sit for 2 hours. Drain and flush and ready to go, like what Dave is doing.

Note - dilute the bleach in water before introducing to the tank. That stuff is wicked and turns or clouds all the plastic in its pure form.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:12 AM   #7
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesg View Post
Safety is the best approach..bacteria does and will build up.. in the tank and waterlines. (if left to sit stagnate ) If you won`t be using your unit for a few weeks or longer.. I suggest draining the tanks fresh/ hot water. AND lines.. then b4 your next outing, flush/sterilizing tank/lines/waterheater.. just as you would when de-winterizing. Some people have an aversion and allergic type reactions to heavy concentrations of chlorine. I suggest using a sterilizing solution such as Sodium Meta-Bi-Sulphate or Potassium-Meta-Bi-Sulphate. Both are widely used in the food industry to sterilize processing equipment and in the wine making process. Both will not harm the water lines or taps.. a little more expensive than chlorine bleach.. but quite effective and environmentally friendly. Both products can purchased in bulk. from your local beer/wine making store or from most industrial supply houses. This is what I do.(We like fresh pure water) $20 bucks should get enough powder to last you 5+ years of doing this routine 10x a year.. 2.2 kilo bag around here is $18
Correct me if I am wrong, but to the best of my knowledge the sulphates or sulfites are used as a preservative, not a sanitizer. I think the bleach idea would be a good workaround.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #8

Back in the days when I made wine we used sodium meta bisulphide to sanitise the bottles once they were clean.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:59 AM   #9
S&K

I did a little search on the subject and this is what I found.

Potassium Metabisulfite in powder form, usually sold to home winemakers in 4 ounce bottles or 1 pound bags. This chemical works well as a sanitizing agent because it is a bacterial inhibitor. (in bottles)

I must say I learn something new every day! Sodium Metabisulfite is something I'm very familiar with, and that is a preservative.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

When we had to winterize, in the spring I would use the bleach in the tank and run through the lines, drive and let it slosh around a little, drain and do the same with a little baking soda mixture to freshen. Seemed to work good. Now don't have to worry about it.