Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 03:11 AM   #1

Fresh water pump test???

Recently bought this Redwood from original owner and have been connected to shore power and water now for months, however as the winter approaches we will need to disconnect the water line and live off fresh water tank. I tested the system today and found that even though the pump is operating there is no water movement in or out. I removed the main inlet directly from the pump and put my finger over the intake side to check for suction and I got nothing. I assume I should feel something right? Its s Shurflo 4008-101-A65 pump. Also I think these are self priming pumps? Is it time for a new pump?

Thanks for your help.
bbusbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #2

Check to see if there is a shut off valve behind the pump.

Mark
Old 09-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #3

Also make sure the cap on the winterizing hose is tight. Mine was hand tight and was still drawing air.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

Also be sure to check the sediment filter on the inlet side of the pump. Remove the clear cap and completely clean out the sediment and debris. Hand tight should be good. These sediment filters have a tendency to freeze and split or crack if exposed to cold temps with water still in them, allowing air when the pump tries to draw water from the fresh tank and creates a problem.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusbee View Post
I removed the main inlet directly from the pump and put my finger over the intake side to check for suction and I got nothing.
I eliminated all upstream potential problems so if I put my finger over the intake end of the pump itself shouldn't I feel some suction?
bbusbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #6

You should feel some suction there. Is it possible to cup your hand at the inlet of the pump and pour some water into your hand to see if that has any effect? The pump should prime itself and draw the water in. Who knows when the last time the pump was ran

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #7

It sounds as though the internal rubber valves and cracked. The pump will run but these valve function as the suction source. This usually occurs when over time with age or the system was not properly winterized. If this is the case you have two option you can disassemble the pump and replace the valves or replace the pump.
PJarosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #8

I had the same problem in my 2017 3901 MB. I took the head off the pump and found one of the pistons valves what ever you call it was stuck in the open position and would not let it push the water to the coach inside. The pump would just sit there and run but would not pull any suction or build any pressure. Once I pushed the valve free it started working. Not sure how long it will last but it is working now.
TonynMarti is offline   Reply With Quote