Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Frameless Window Leak

Has anyone reset and resealed a frameless window? I have a leak in the outside window at dining table in our 2012 31SL. It is 6 months past warranty, plus anything my dealer does takes 4-5 weeks. Thought I would try to remove and reseal the window (dealer did that on another window in february) to solve the problem. Online videos show how to reseal framed windows but calls to Redwood resulted in suggestions to let the dealer do it. Any experiences?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
I'll be interested to know how this is possible. My RW is at the dealer now having two windows replaced which lost their seals and fogged up internally between the panes.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Site Team

I replaced all the windows in my last SOB and it wasn't hard, however they were framed windows. I was really surprised how easy it was to remove the windows.

There should be screws on the inside holding the windows in. Once those screws are removed, the windows should be easily pushed out. Apply some caulk to the flange and re-install them.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

I had a 2012 Kodiak TT. The campground broke the escape window with the weed wacker. After 12 weeks of waiting for the dealer to order the window I called Kinro and ordered it myself. It is the identical window in the Redwood. I own a glass company so I had no apprehension about doing this job myself.
I gathered everything I thought I'd need to do the job. I took off the trim ring on the inside, that is what's holding the window in. I pushed on the window from inside and it pushed right out. To my surprise they used double face foam tape to hold the window in. After cleaning everything up, I put 1/8" thick 3/4" wide butyle tape on the rim and set the window in place. Attach the interior trim ring going to opposite screws like tightening a tire. The butyle tape will ooze out trim it with a screw driver or plastic razor blade. The tape will ooze out regularly for about a week. Keep trimming it away and your done it will never leak again.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
I'll be interested to know how this is possible. My RW is at the dealer now having two windows replaced which lost their seals and fogged up internally between the panes.
Are the double sealed windows whose seals broke and fogged up frameless? If they are the reason the seals broke was probably shear. Shear being the weight of the unsupported glass pulling down against the supported pane. It will tear the seal apart.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
Are the double sealed windows whose seals broke and fogged up frameless? If they are the reason the seals broke was probably shear. Shear being the weight of the unsupported glass pulling down against the supported pane. It will tear the seal apart.
Yes they are frameless Kinro windows from Lippert.

I was understanding the original poster stated that the windows can be repaired by a dealer in lieu of replacement. I can't see how they could separate the panes, clean the inner surfaces and reseal in the field. RW opted to replace my complete frameless window assemblies. The dealer said it was less time consuming to replace a complete window assembly than to just remove and replace the bad section.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #7

I was under the imperession the original poster was taking about a frame leak and not a seal failure on an insulated glass.
As far as a dealer splitting the insulated glass cleaning them and resealing them in the field are pretty slim. First once they are fogged and water stained they can't be cleaned and second the equipment needed to be owned to reseal in highly improbable that a dealer would own it. Even after speaking to Kinro last year they order the glass and ony make the frames.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #8

Has anyone replaced the framed slide window to the left of the entry door on a 31-SL it's about 12" high and 24" wide and you depress the 2 tabs and slide the window up about 6"...the seal just went out...or do you know who does replace them
ignatiusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:30 AM   #9

If it's leaking round the frame that's simple fix. Carefully remove the wood trim inside & from there remove about a dozen screws, while someone supports it outside gently push entire window out, clean all surfaces thoroughly with alcohol, add a layer or 2 of butyl tape, reinstall window working the screws back in a zigzag pattern & then use a plastic putty knife or plastic dinner knife to remove the excess butyl tape outside, then replace wood trim, if you were careful removing you can put the small nails back in original holes after applying several 3M command strips to,the backside of all trim pieces, viola done, takes about an hour.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #10

Thanks for the answer...actually I'm getting condensation between the panes (an area about 1"x2") on the slider part of the window..
Old 01-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatiusj View Post
Thanks for the answer...actually I'm getting condensation between the panes (an area about 1"x2") on the slider part of the window..
You can also see if that window is available for replacement. I would look here:

Page Title -Kinro windows and replacement parts

and also:

Hehr windows, Atwood windows, MRP windows, RV windows, Kinro windows, Kinro parts, Creation windows, Creation window parts

You still might need to remove the window to see the identifying label on the frame. Probably not visible with the window garnish on.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #12

I don't know about the newer models, but on mine the windows on the ends of the slides are NOT dual pane, but flush mounts, so you won't have moisture between the panes.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #13

I have a 2014 31-SL and just rechecked and both the slider on the bottom and the fixed pane above are both dual pane....only the bottom slider is the leaker though...thanks though I wish it wasn't now.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:00 AM   #14

My rear window has a leak in the seal on the right crank out window, I showed this to the powers to be at Redwood and I am getting a new rear window under the 2-5 warranty. Thanks Redwood
Old 01-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #15

Are you the original owners and what's the details of the 2 5 warranty?
Old 01-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #16

Yes, we are the original owners. covered under the 2-5 warranty
Old 01-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #17

I don't think anyone is yet sure what is covered under the +5 side of the warranty, but we had the framework just in front of the lower bedroom slide need repair last summer, and Redwood covered it fully under that warranty portion. My general understanding was the framework and structure would be what was covered, but to my knowledge no written details have ever seen the light of day.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #18
Site Team

I was at the Service Center in December getting a frame crossmember welded and reinforced. When they did an inspection on my coach Troy (the tech) found a soft area in my bedroom slid floor. He found a surround moulding that had pulled away and that was where the water got in.
Taking it back out first week of March so they can pull the slide to replace the floor. Troy said at that time he is also going to reinforce the forward frame with new body mounting brackets

My coach will be 5 years old in November.

Tags
frameless, leaks, seals, windows