Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 03:26 AM   #1

Folding an RV cover

I believe there is a gigantic prehistoric bird flying around my RV storage place and has targeted my camper for his drop zone. I find it hard to believe that a bird can poop that much. I keep finding this large quantity of poop baking on my finish and I don't like it. So, I am reconsidering getting an RV cover. I have read a lot of pros and cons for using an RV cover. In the past I have used covers which ended up ripping in mild wind, but I believe they are now better made. I am looking at National Discount Covers, they have a very high rating and a great fit guarantee.
When I used to fold it I would roll it off the roof of my camper and fold it on the ground. By doing this it would be covered with dirt, sticks and junk from the ground.
Has anyone folded their covers on the roof of their campers, and if so any suggestions?
Thanks
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

before we installed our shed for ours we used a cover as well and folded it up on top of the 5ver then secured it mule tape and lowered it to the ground...not and easy trick to do but it worked and the cover held up better than we expected.

DSC01287.jpg
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
The only thing missing is straw bales on the sides
Old 06-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
The only thing missing is straw bales on the sides
Been there done that in cold climates and what a difference they make!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
before we installed our shed for ours we used a cover as well and folded it up on top of the 5ver then secured it mule tape and lowered it to the ground...not and easy trick to do but it worked and the cover held up better than we expected.

Attachment 1123
David what is the size of that shed?
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

you guys may be talking about two different things, hay bales for skirting for insulation, or hay bales for weather protection.

Forget the weather protection idea! Seems farmers love to park their 350K motorhomes and 150K horse trailers out by the hay bales, and that is usually what the twisted frame is sticking out of the bales after the backhoe pulls the bales apart to help put the fire out started by lightning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1975 Cherryvale first fire.jpg (196.2 KB, 4 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1817 View Post
David what is the size of that shed?
41 x 26 feet this was taken at our ranch. And yes hay bales are there but no where's close to our beauty. It does make a world of difference by shading the trailer in the summer and a whole lot easier to keep it warm in the winter. Most people keep there rw on black top. When we looked for a replacement to our carriage. It had to take the punishment of our roads to be accepted. And yes it is at least 15 miles of rough country roads to even get to 9ur main gate. From their 2 miles to get it to this spot.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #8

Quote:

Attachment 1123
David,
What brand of cover did you Have?
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 06-26-2015, 03:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
David,
What brand of cover did you Have?
Good question. Most likely I will not have a building this winter for storage so any thoughts on the better covers to purchase?? We had an Adco for the old rig.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Good question. Most likely I will not have a building this winter for storage so any thoughts on the better covers to purchase?? We had an Adco for the old rig.
Just FYI. I have been looking closely at National Discount Covers, they have a pretty high customer rating and a fit guarantee.
I also had two Adco covers which didn't last very long, so I am hoping these covers have improved over the years.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 06-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #11

We first had a adco designer tyvek cover for our carriage and a national cover for our redwood till the barn was built. The national cover seemed to hold up a little better to the adco tyvek but not by much. We used the adco for 4 years and only had small holes created from the rain spouts on each corner in that time. And the National cover didn't have any wear marks on it in 2 years but seemed to be a bit harder to set up and breakdown. Hope it was helpful.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #12

What happens to your Full Body Paint after a windy winter with the cover on it? I've been worried about scuffs - especially on black/silver - so I've been relying on a good waxing couple times a year. Still looks great...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
What happens to your Full Body Paint after a windy winter with the cover on it? I've been worried about scuffs - especially on black/silver - so I've been relying on a good waxing couple times a year. Still looks great...
We were concerned about that as well and at first we thought it was going to be an issue because ours is parked in the middle of no where's and dust I a big problem for that spot. The first time we covered ours and took it off we it looked like someone used a dish scrub pad all over the top half of it. But what happened was the updraft from under the cover sucked in the sand and settled to the top of the trailer. The tyvek all weather didn't do that and was padded underneath to help prevent scratching but was thinner than the national cover.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #14

Quote:
We were concerned about that as well and at first we thought it was going to be an issue because ours is parked in the middle of no where's and dust I a big problem for that spot. The first time we covered ours and took it off we it looked like someone used a dish scrub pad all over the top half of it. But what happened was the updraft from under the cover sucked in the sand and settled to the top of the trailer. The tyvek all weather didn't do that and was padded underneath to help prevent scratching but was thinner than the national cover.
I forgot to add one thing to it. When we washed off the sand it didn't mess the paint up at all. The clear coat had no abrasions in it either. It just looked as if it was going to be a bad day with all the sand and dirt sitting up that high. We do wax ours at least 2 times a year and 3 times if we take it to the beach for sure. I thought the cover worked great for full body paint but for decal trailers we noticed it baked inside the cover and shortened the life of the decals because of that. But I think the adco designer all weather cover was easier to put on and break down though.