Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #1

Filling potable water tank

First time filling potable water tank in my 2015 Redwook 38GK. I Inserted hose into potable tank hole next to city water connection. Tank fills then immediately empties out from a blue hose coming from bottom of RV. This hose has no visible external valve. Turned pumps on but no water comes through faucets. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
1970hankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #2

Is this the first time the water system is being used after winterization? Make sure the valve on the inlet side of the water pump is open. Also, the hose in the service center that is used to draw in anti-freeze needs to be capped or your pump will suck air.

As far as your blue hose goes, it appears as though you have the dreaded case of the drain backs. People have solved this issue in many ways, including a trip back to the dealer in order to have the vent lines rerouted. If this is the case with your coach, it's absolutely amazing to me that RW has yet to resolve this issue.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

I just valved mine (arrow). I leave it open while filling until water comes out then close it and wait for water to come out the white overflow between the two low point drains. When I drain it, I open all of them.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #4

Brad's photos illustrate the problem in that the overflow hoses (2) are below the tank level thus when filling, they start to siphon. I put a valve on the front hose like Brad. The second hose, I pulled out and moved it to the vent on the fill assembly.

See http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2137

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #5

Ya I think that white one between the low point drains would normally go up to the fill assembly. The only reason I can think that they didn't do it that way was concern because the fill is inside the compartment rather than outside like they normally are.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
lwg

FWIW, I valved mine and never open it anymore. Not sure if its needed but the overflow valve works just like it should even with this other vent closed.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:29 AM   #7

Maybe I've been lucky or maybe wasn't as full as I thought. I think mine was full the first time we traveled with it so I could scale it. I didn't notice loosing any water. I also don't remember seeing more than one blue drain line, which does have a valve. Not counting the low point drains.

Mark

Tags
potable water tank