Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

False readings on tank monitors

For those who have problems with their tanks always showing full or even 3/4 when you know they are empty, there is a replacement probe solution available to cure the problem. Valterra purchased and now manufactures Horst probes. These replacement probes fit into existing 3/8" holes in waste tanks to eliminate false readings. Different style of probes for fresh and grey tanks, and a different hooded probe for black tanks. Not cheap, but should take care of your problems. Assuming you are willing to install on your own empty tanks or take them to a dealer to be installed. Priced from $29 to $35 average on the web per package of 4. Look at the difference in the design, the hooded ones for the black tank protect the probes from having wet TP making contact. pretty smart idea. The short stubby ones are the ones almost everybody uses when building rv's. The stock ones give false readings from the slime and build up on the sides of your tanks. The replacement probes attach to your existing wiring.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horst3 probes.jpg (18.2 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Holding_Tank_Probe.jpg (6.0 KB, 215 views)
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:10 AM   #2

Our RW is the third rv that the sensors didn't work much past first fill so I don't even look at them anymore strictly go by sound not worth the trouble or expense to change.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Our RW is the third rv that the sensors didn't work much past first fill so I don't even look at them anymore strictly go by sound not worth the trouble or expense to change.
Same here, have never had tanks sensors work very good, learned many years ago we did not really need them anyway.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Try going to SEELEVEL.COM There's a product that attaches to the tanks with no holes and reads the level by precentages. Check it out. I haven't used this but a friend of mine has it on his motorhome and he said he's had no more problems with false readings.
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:32 AM   #5

I just picked up the hooded probes for my black tank I've got the belly open to replace the black tank dump cable so I thought why not
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #6

After owning RVs for many years, I finally gave up on true readings, and just wait for the "bubble back" before dumping.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
After owning RVs for many years, I finally gave up on true readings, and just wait for the "bubble back" before dumping.

JerryL,

My gauges have worked somewhat okay if I rinse the black tank several times after each dump. But, I do have a question relative to the "bubble back". I see the same condition when the tank gets to a near full condition and there is a bubble blow back that starts occurring when flushing the toilet. I thought that the black tank was supposed to be vented. Does this mean that the vent pipe is plugged? I have been considering to trying to run something down the vent pipe from above to see if it can be cleared. Has anyone else tried this?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Guy
They bubble back when the fluid level gets to the top of the tank and starts to go up the vent pipe
Old 02-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Guy
They bubble back when the fluid level gets to the top of the tank and starts to go up the vent pipe

Shane,

Okay.......that makes sense. That must mean that the vent pipe protrudes down into the tank a few inches because the effluent level in the tank still seems to have quite a way to go before the tank is full just based upon the way it sounds when flushing the toilet.

Thanks,

Guy

Old 02-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #10

My rig is in the shop and the bubble back is one of the things on the list. My tank plows back even if it is empty the dealer told the pipe from the toilet was placed too far down in the tank.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:54 PM   #11
Site Team

My wife and I have been talking about the " bubble back" condition when flushing and neither one of us remember that occurring in previous years. It only occurs now near the time when the tank is getting close to full (or the last couple of days). I generally dump the tanks about every 6 to 8 days at most. I am beginning to think that maybe the vent pipe has somehow slipped downward further into the black tank. I don't recall from the plant tour seeing how Redwood assembles the vent pipe to the black tank. Does anyone have any insight into that?

Old 02-28-2016, 01:48 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Guy ot is very possible with the quality of workmanship that your vent extends farther into the tank than it should or perhaps has come apart and dropped further into the tank. All of the trailers I have owned would burp once the fluid level starts to block the vent. The vent should be flush with the top of the tank as it slides into a collar at the top of the tank. If it is installed to long and goes further into the tank you will get the burp before the tank is full
Old 02-28-2016, 01:50 AM   #13

I dump my tanks once a week whether full or not. I can go 10 days with the 2 of us before dumping
Old 02-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #14

Those tanks don't have a lot of depth to begin with. The vent being a couple of inches down could really minimize the usable tank capacity.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
JerryL,

My gauges have worked somewhat okay if I rinse the black tank several times after each dump. But, I do have a question relative to the "bubble back". I see the same condition when the tank gets to a near full condition and there is a bubble blow back that starts occurring when flushing the toilet. I thought that the black tank was supposed to be vented. Does this mean that the vent pipe is plugged? I have been considering to trying to run something down the vent pipe from above to see if it can be cleared. Has anyone else tried this?
Every RV I have ever owned burped when flushing the toilet, when the tanks are near full. I just wait for that indicator. FTR, everyone I've owned must have had the vent placed correctly in the black tank, because they don't burp until you can see the water is pretty close to full when flushing. My level indicators work good on my grey tanks, but I've yet to have a good reading on the black tank after the first use. I use the tank flush every time I dump the black, but it never helps much, so I just gave up.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Every RV I have ever owned burped when flushing the toilet, when the tanks are near full. I just wait for that indicator. FTR, everyone I've owned must have had the vent placed correctly in the black tank, because they don't burp until you can see the water is pretty close to full when flushing. My level indicators work good on my grey tanks, but I've yet to have a good reading on the black tank after the first use. I use the tank flush every time I dump the black, but it never helps much, so I just gave up.
In my other trailers you could see the level coming up through through toilet when getting full. But they sat directly over th r black tank with the sewer pipe straight down. On this one it runs at a 45 degree angle down to the tank so by 5he time it is full and coming up the sewer line it is also going up the vent pipe. When i dump I fill and dump 4 times with the washer going. Black has shown 1/3 when empty since new the other 3 work properly
Old 02-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #17

If you'll notice while draining any of the tanks, or at least mine especially the galley, that the fluid starts running slowly & you hear a gurgle & suddenly start running fast, I think that is the point the fluid level drops below the vent in the tank.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
My wife and I have been talking about the " bubble back" condition when flushing and neither one of us remember that occurring in previous years. It only occurs now near the time when the tank is getting close to full (or the last couple of days). I generally dump the tanks about every 6 to 8 days at most. I am beginning to think that maybe the vent pipe has somehow slipped downward further into the black tank. I don't recall from the plant tour seeing how Redwood assembles the vent pipe to the black tank. Does anyone have any insight into that?
Guy,
Yes, as a matter of fact I do as mine failed and leaked. The vent pipe was attached to the tank via a process called spin weld. The pipe is spun onto the tank until the abs gets hot enough to melt together. Mine didn't.

As part of my "shake down", I filled all the tanks to capacity. The black leaked around the pipe so I had it replaced. I have a photo of the failure somewhere if you'd like to see it!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Guy,
Yes, as a matter of fact I do as mine failed and leaked. The vent pipe was attached to the tank via a process called spin weld. The pipe is spun onto the tank until the abs gets hot enough to melt together. Mine didn't.

As part of my "shake down", I filled all the tanks to capacity. The black leaked around the pipe so I had it replaced. I have a photo of the failure somewhere if you'd like to see it!

Ken

Ken,

I have never had any evidence of leakage from any of the tanks and I never travel with anything in the tanks except 20 or 30 gallons in the fresh water tank.

If you want to post your picture or send me a PM with it attached that would be great.

Thanks,

Guy

Old 02-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #20
Site Team

I've travel with the freshwater tank full with the redwood without an issue. I've done the same with both grey tanks too but the black tank I've always drained when it was 2/3 full