Old 12-19-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

False readings on tank monitors

For those who have problems with their tanks always showing full or even 3/4 when you know they are empty, there is a replacement probe solution available to cure the problem. Valterra purchased and now manufactures Horst probes. These replacement probes fit into existing 3/8" holes in waste tanks to eliminate false readings. Different style of probes for fresh and grey tanks, and a different hooded probe for black tanks. Not cheap, but should take care of your problems. Assuming you are willing to install on your own empty tanks or take them to a dealer to be installed. Priced from $29 to $35 average on the web per package of 4. Look at the difference in the design, the hooded ones for the black tank protect the probes from having wet TP making contact. pretty smart idea. The short stubby ones are the ones almost everybody uses when building rv's. The stock ones give false readings from the slime and build up on the sides of your tanks. The replacement probes attach to your existing wiring.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horst3 probes.jpg (18.2 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Holding_Tank_Probe.jpg (6.0 KB, 212 views)
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:10 AM   #2

Our RW is the third rv that the sensors didn't work much past first fill so I don't even look at them anymore strictly go by sound not worth the trouble or expense to change.
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Our RW is the third rv that the sensors didn't work much past first fill so I don't even look at them anymore strictly go by sound not worth the trouble or expense to change.
Same here, have never had tanks sensors work very good, learned many years ago we did not really need them anyway.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Try going to SEELEVEL.COM There's a product that attaches to the tanks with no holes and reads the level by precentages. Check it out. I haven't used this but a friend of mine has it on his motorhome and he said he's had no more problems with false readings.
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:32 AM   #5

I just picked up the hooded probes for my black tank I've got the belly open to replace the black tank dump cable so I thought why not
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #6

After owning RVs for many years, I finally gave up on true readings, and just wait for the "bubble back" before dumping.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
After owning RVs for many years, I finally gave up on true readings, and just wait for the "bubble back" before dumping.

JerryL,

My gauges have worked somewhat okay if I rinse the black tank several times after each dump. But, I do have a question relative to the "bubble back". I see the same condition when the tank gets to a near full condition and there is a bubble blow back that starts occurring when flushing the toilet. I thought that the black tank was supposed to be vented. Does this mean that the vent pipe is plugged? I have been considering to trying to run something down the vent pipe from above to see if it can be cleared. Has anyone else tried this?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Guy
They bubble back when the fluid level gets to the top of the tank and starts to go up the vent pipe
Old 02-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Guy
They bubble back when the fluid level gets to the top of the tank and starts to go up the vent pipe

Shane,

Okay.......that makes sense. That must mean that the vent pipe protrudes down into the tank a few inches because the effluent level in the tank still seems to have quite a way to go before the tank is full just based upon the way it sounds when flushing the toilet.

Thanks,

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #10

My rig is in the shop and the bubble back is one of the things on the list. My tank plows back even if it is empty the dealer told the pipe from the toilet was placed too far down in the tank.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 split tranny, auto ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote