Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 03:23 AM   #1

Fading gel coat

is anyone having issues with fading of coloring and gel coat on the nose piece of their trailer -thnx
reever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #2

Yep - we had problems on both the front and rear caps. Contacted Redwood and had them make a note on our file as I knew we would run out off our 2 year warranty before we could get it in for paint. We had the caps painted and gel coated at our dealer this past Spring. Redwood covered the costs.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reever View Post
is anyone having issues with fading of coloring and gel coat on the nose piece of their trailer -thnx
Several who have the standard Gel-Coat exterior have had issues with fading on the end caps, I believe more so on the front than the rear.

This doesn't seem to be an issue for those who have the full paint option.

Redwood has been stepping up to the plate and paying for the fix, at least during the warranty period, for those having these issues.

If you are having problems while under warranty you need to get it documented ASAP so it can be covered!!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Both end caps were repainted while at the Redwood Service Center in Indiana. No issues since.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #5

We have a 2012 and it is currently in shop at lazy days being painted, it is still under warranty and being paid by redwood
Bill
b41wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #6

Just got mine back from the dealer... front and back cap painted no charge and roof seals redone where caps meet roof.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #7

Are they actually painting the caps, like a full paint, or are they applying something else?
Old 10-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #8

Am I wrong in thinking that the caps would be covered under warranty for 5 years, not 2? When I had mine in the Service Center I asked them to look into whether mine needed painting and they said at that time they were fine but for the most part my fifth wheel is under cover but we hope to go full time within 6 months. I figure once it is out in the sun we may see a problem but that would be beyond the 2 year point.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Site Team

I would think that the gelcoate would be part of the structure and therefore covered for the 5 years
Old 10-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #10

Thanks Dave, I was thinking the same thing. I would hate to lose the paint opportunity if needed just because I went past the 2 years. I was told by Rick Drinkwine at the time that not all of the caps were a problem but I really believe they were just trying to get out of painting them. He stated that if I had a problem in the future they would look at it then.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
Site Team

It's my understanding, the units that are in the direct sun in hot climates like Arizona and Texas are the ones with the issues. They found this in several other RV brands as well. Apparently there's a whole bunch of RVs out there that all used the same formula in the fiberglass caps.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
It's my understanding, the units that are in the direct sun in hot climates like Arizona and Texas are the ones with the issues. They found this in several other RV brands as well. Apparently there's a whole bunch of RVs out there that all used the same formula in the fiberglass caps.
Ya I was just reading that about Heartland products too. Guy next to me had a nice looking Cruiser - he said was brand new, but the cap was awful. Maybe he was too short to notice

Dave, did you ever find out if the spiderweb cracking on your nose was a problem? (no not from gin!) I remember you saying you noticed it at the top one time while waxing. I ask because our RV body shop said they were having trouble with dark painted motorhomes - the gel expands in heat and stretches the paint.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Site Team

It hasn't gotten any worse. I just keep it waxed and so far no problem. Ginny said it was caused by me driving too fast and the wind bending the fiberglass...............women. Always trying to slow me down. I've got places to see and people to meet
Old 10-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
It hasn't gotten any worse. I just keep it waxed and so far no problem. Ginny said it was caused by me driving too fast and the wind bending the fiberglass...............women. Always trying to slow me down. I've got places to see and people to meet
She's right! I've seen you go by with that tuned Ford! Your front cap is concave like a satellite dish and after you pass the trees bend and swing back like a nuclear shockwave. There is an energy ripple off the side of your coach that sends pedestrians and bicyclists flying into the fields.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
She's right! I've seen you go by with that tuned Ford! Your front cap is concave like a satellite dish and after you pass the trees bend and swing back like a nuclear shockwave. There is an energy ripple off the side of your coach that sends pedestrians and bicyclists flying into the fields.

Brad, you noticed that too!! I think someone said that the front cap goes concave at 75 MPH!!

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Brad, you noticed that too!! I think someone said that the front cap goes concave at 75 MPH!!

Guy

SO THAT"S THE EXTRA DRAG! I was wondering why I was starting to slow down.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #17

I'm having the same problem with my 2012 36RL. Fading on the front cap. My dealer gave me a kit to alleviate the problem last spring. Fading came back after a couple weeks. Who do I contact at Redwood?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #18

I took our 2012 36fb into Lazy Days, and they contacted Redwood, we just got it back yesterday, and they did a fantastic job, to include replacing all the decals, as well as painting.
Bill
b41wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by b41wright View Post
I took our 2012 36fb into Lazy Days, and they contacted Redwood, we just got it back yesterday, and they did a fantastic job, to include replacing all the decals, as well as painting.
Bill
Which Lazy Days are we talking about and how old is your fifth wheel?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #20

Angry Fading Gel Coat

We have a 2013 36Fl purchased new Mar 6th 2014. I wash with RV wash and wax each time we return from a trip. I have had some minor issues but was always able to repair myself. Except for one air condition/heat pump issue that was repaired under warranty.

We now have the upper front cap and rear top cap has a faded look. I have waxed the whole caps repeatedly and it looks good for about a week and then it returns. I have read many inputs from post on fading caps (not just a Redwood problem) and this is occurring on many makes.

As owner of many boats and I have never had this problem with gel coat.
Does anyone have any knowledge of what the cause of this problem is.

I called Redwood/Crossroads warranty and was instructed to take pictures to send to Rep named Jessie.

When they repaint the caps how long does it take to accomplish this job?
We do not want to leave the RV for a long stay as we use it for short trips.

The way it looks now is a bad roving advertisement for Redwood.
Joel and Janis is offline   Reply With Quote