Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 35
EquaFlex Trail Air

In my quest to learn about my rolling second home, someone discussed suspension systems. Any information to share about my EquaFlex Trail Air suspension system?

I'm basically making a list of to-dos before the spring and going to get one trip before we pack her up for the winter. Wheels are on the list but discount tire has been kind enough (and I trust the guys there as I've worked with them before) to inspect my tires before my only run of the Fall in our new rig. What other items do you all consider necessary improvements?
WarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jim & Mary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 615
Warren
Sorry to be the wet blanket here, but I think if you read historical posts on the two forums, you'll find that the suspension/axles are the weak link on the Redwood as it comes off the production line. We have a swelling group of members who have spent thousands on upgrades such as MorRyde to fix suspension issues. We had to replace our trail-aire suspension, springs and mounting bolts on our last trip to AZ last fall, as a spring broke. I think what I'm trying to say, as they come from the factory the tires/suspension is the weak link. Goodyear G rated tires are quite an improvement over the Marathons.
__________________


Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,868
I think the Equa Flex is alright, not as much travel as the Mor Ryde 4000 SRE, but adequate. Definitely inspect the brakes for
grease contamination due to poor seals, & replace at least the plastic bushings in the spring eyes, better options are Mor Ryde heavy shackles & wet bolts. Possibly all could be winter projects.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:35 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 35
So to summarize from various comments:

Switch to Mor Ryde
Change the axles
Minimum change to Goodyear or equivalent G rated tires with possible change to new wheels.

Now the question is, what axle, and what should I expect to pay retail for this work?

The rest of the RV seems great. We've checked seals, roof, filters, windows, went with the Interstate ECL batteries, and the condition is excellent. Even came with granite counters (as if the unit isn't heavy enough with corian).

Am I missing any winter projects to freshen a lightly used, cared for but not updated/upgraded 36RL?
WarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:35 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,868
If you go with the Mor Ryde IS you won't have axles. So far on mine other than switching to MR heavy shackles & bolts & replacing greasy brakes, I've had no other issues with axles in about 30k miles.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,868
BTW, MR IS is $3000 installed + $3000 for disc brakes if you want them. I will have to pass on both til my ship comes in, but I don't think it's left port yet though.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 35
Ouch....I think I will stick with the MR 4000 SRE that appears to be something I can do myself...might have to buy more than one X cross for an additional couple $100...but that looks like a very good spring improvement. Just need to get one trip out of the existing set up and I can't believe the whole thing is going to fall apart when the previous owner took good care of her but did actually travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
BTW, MR IS is $3000 installed + $3000 for disc brakes if you want them. I will have to pass on both til my ship comes in, but I don't think it's left port yet though.
WarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenR View Post
So to summarize from various comments:

Switch to Mor Ryde
Change the axles
Minimum change to Goodyear or equivalent G rated tires with possible change to new wheels.

Now the question is, what axle, and what should I expect to pay retail for this work?

The rest of the RV seems great. We've checked seals, roof, filters, windows, went with the Interstate ECL batteries, and the condition is excellent. Even came with granite counters (as if the unit isn't heavy enough with corian).

Am I missing any winter projects to freshen a lightly used, cared for but not updated/upgraded 36RL?
according to Morryde the SRE 4000 is not for 8K axles.
__________________
2012 Ford F450 Lariat, 2013 Redwood 36FB
Buddy Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Team
 
hoosierguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Wallace View Post
according to Morryde the SRE 4000 is not for 8K axles.

The 2013 36RL would have come standard with 7K axles.
__________________
Guy & Phyllis
2012 RW36RL,DualA/C,KodiakDiskBrakes,TrailAir Tri-Glide,GY_G614's,Mor/RydeSRE4000,HDShackles/WetBolts
2011Dodge3500Laramie,CrewCab,4x4,SRW,Michelins, LongBed,6.7LCTD,3.73,PullRiteSuper5th20.5KHitch, BlueOxBedsaver

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #10
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Warren
Sorry to be the wet blanket here, but I think if you read historical posts on the two forums, you'll find that the suspension/axles are the weak link on the Redwood as it comes off the production line. We have a swelling group of members who have spent thousands on upgrades such as MorRyde to fix suspension issues. We had to replace our trail-aire suspension, springs and mounting bolts on our last trip to AZ last fall, as a spring broke. I think what I'm trying to say, as they come from the factory the tires/suspension is the weak link. Goodyear G rated tires are quite an improvement over the Marathons.
THANKS Jim...well said

I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with the springs. I guess we can add you to the "another one of those suspension stories that are exaggerated" group. Funny how this group keeps growing.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.