Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Electrical savings

Waiting on our 38GK (3 weeks). Just thinking about saving electric costs. Has anyone thought about shutting off the shore power every two days and running on the batteries to save energy? We will live most of the time in Woodland Park Co and the temps are wonderful for little need of air conditioning and such.
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #2

Most of those plans don't work as well as we hope. Now if you have a real good Solar system it could work very well, but if not you'll be draining the batteries down when the AC is shut off, then have to work very hard to bring the batteries back up once AC is returned and could negate most of what you thought you were saving.
We experimented with only running the Hot Water heater at night (on advise from a seminar at a Rally). Did that for a month and saw next to no change in our electric bill. Assume that it is easier to keep the water hot as used vs heating a whole or near whole tank of cold water.
Give it a try and let us know if it works for you.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

Without a good Solar system you will be running your batteries down, which may reduce their longevity.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #4

I have tried this by running the water heater and fridge on gas (the water heater only when I needed it) leaving the a/c electric on and shutting the breaker off that controls the converter. I had 4 golf cart batteries, it took a month for them to run down and then I would turn the converter back on to charge them up. This worked well as I only had a $13 electric bill and a $21 propane bill when everyone else had at least a $120 electric bill. Now keep in mind I was not home much as I was working a lot and my 5th wheel did not have all of fancy stuff that my Redwood has. In my opinion you will be better off trying things that will help conserve energy just like you would at your sticks and bricks home.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #5

This was with our previous unit ( Carriage), I ran everything (except cook stove) on electric for two weeks, and where the meter was right behind us, and I knew the price per kilowatt, I kept track of the power used. I than switched everything that I could over to propane for two weeks. The weather was about the same. In comparing, it was cheaper for me to run everything on electric.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #6

I'm not an electrical expert but if you plan on recharging those batteries back up again I'll bet that the charging process isn't 100% efficient, you will consume a bit more energy compared to using it directly. And assuming you run propane keeping the food in the refrigerator warm and the water hot during those times the electricity is shut off you will lose money as running propane is expensive these days with the higher cost due to the cold winter weather.

Now, if you have time of use electric metering you could consider recharging at the low overnight electric rates, but I haven't seen TOU metering in any parks we've been in.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #7

Even is Propane turned out to be a little cheaper, you have to factor in the effort of pulling the empty tank and finding a place to get it refilled.
We'll use electric for the convenience.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #8

You are buying a 38GK and are concerned about a few dollar of electricity!!! LOL I can't say you're cheap; just frugal maybe. I hope you don't take offense to this post. Not meant in a harmful way.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #9

No offense taken, we live in Colorado and thinking of the propane we could use to live in the camper could run $300-500 p/mo so I was thinking of electrical and maybe Natural Gas. Yes we can afford the camper but don't want to throw away thousands for no reason. Thanks for the reply. Jim
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #10

I had a 5er in Park county at 9850 ft for over 10 years and kep it heated by 350 gal propane tank year round at 50 degrees and burned about 280 gallons a year.
Jay D.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #11

100 lb tanks work pretty good.
Jay D.