Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Site Team

Somebody had posted about having electrical issues after pulling their trailer in a hard rain. I think I found what the problem could be.

Being a bone head.....I disconnected my trailer and the plug got tangled with the truck even after I unplugged it. This caused the cord to be ripped out of the trailer and while fixing this little problem I found where there could be a problem for water.

On my RL there is a junction box under the pin area that all of the wires go into. When I took that cover off to reattach the power cord I found that the wires were joined together with wire nuts but no electrical tape. This is not a weather tight box and in fact there are holes in the box. So if you're driving in a heavy rain there would be a possibility of getting water in those connections. To remedy this problem I put electrical tape tightly round around the wire nuts plus I made sure they were all standing up right so water couldn't be pooled into the nuts.

I hope this helps someone

Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #2

Dave I saw the same thing. My cover was all but falling off when we picked ours up. I pulled the cover off and saw the wire nuts in there. Very tight fit for them. And I did as you and turned the nuts looking up that weren't already like that. Never thought that water would be a problem in there. I think they could have used a water tight box. In stead of using electrical tape on the wire nuts why not use Dielectric grease? Just fill the wire nuts with dielectric grease and the water wont be a problem and corrosion wont be any trouble down the road and you'll always have a good contact.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #3

I was running a 50A circuit out to the Redwood this weekend so I could plug in at home. Home Depot (and others I'm sure) had "waterproof" wire nuts with the dilectric grease inside a membrane that you puncture when you insert the wires. Those might be the thing to use.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #4

Boy we need to sit down with Redwood over these little things while out there at the factory. It would be great feed back from the consumer to the engineers.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #5

I was running an HDMI cable for out blueray player in the bedroom. I opened the round access panel behind the TV and while i was snooping around I found a cable with plug that is not connected to anything. the plug is square and about 1/4-3/8" square with about 6 pins in the connector. Anyone know what this cable is for???

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #6

That is the control cable for a Winegard Sat Dish. The units are prewired but in my case the lazy tech who did my install was to lazy to contact Redwood for the location on the roof. So he just laid a new cable on the roof and punched a hole through the roof for his new cable.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

Thanks.

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

That is the control cable for a Winegard Sat Dish. The units are prewired but in my case the lazy tech who did my install was to lazy to contact Redwood for the location on the roof. So he just laid a new cable on the roof and punched a hole through the roof for his new cable.
I'm afraid I wouldn't be happy about having another hole punched in my roof
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #9

I wasn't and that's the reason Lazy Days Florida will get no more of our business.
Especially after I worked with Brian and the Factory to have all four cables preinstalled to avoid more holes in the roof then their jerk of a Tech does this. I had also requested (numerous times)the Heavy Duty mounting plate for the dish which we didn't get either. While others have had good experiences with them, ours left much to be disired. The tech who did I PDI was nice and pointed out the battery boxes, his comments, one battery for the rig, the other to start the generator, didn't have the heart to tell him there was only one battery and the other box was empty. BTW we moved over the two Group 29 batteries from our Montana after he left.Edited by: mhs4771
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote