Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #1

Question Drip Drip Drip

Yesterday I noticed a small puddle of water under the drivers side of our 36RL. Thought maybe it was coming from a loose fitting where the city water feeds the unit. After some research with a flashlight I found a hose dripping behind that panel. The drip is inside and can be seen through the little door used to change the water filter. It's located next to the switch that disables the batteries but behind the panel. One drip every ten to fifteen seconds but over time it produces quite a bit of water. The water exits along the bottom of the lower side panel and on to the ground. Anyone have experience with this or any loose plumbing on your unit? I am traveling and won't have a chance to get it repaired for a couple of weeks. What can I do to stop the leak short of turning off the water feed or the pump? All suggestions are welcome!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #2

Mine had a drip in the same area... only mine turned out to be the low point drain valve for the cold water line. Nothing was effective except replacing the valve.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

I'm removing those inside panels to install a different water filter and clean things up in there a little. Sounds like I need to add snugging down all the fittings back there.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

Good idea! There is a "T" fitting next to the battery kill switch. Pay close attention to it. There are several small pieces of hose that are crimped to the T. That's where I found that drip.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #5

Will do! Thanks
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #6

I am a little confused. It could be due to the age of my unit or my age. You say the drip is next to the water filter and next to the battery disconnect. That is nothing like our RL. My water filter is in the garage thru a little access door and the battery switch is next to the batteries up front where the hydraulics are. Have they changed the locations?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
I am a little confused. It could be due to the age of my unit or my age. You say the drip is next to the water filter and next to the battery disconnect. That is nothing like our RL. My water filter is in the garage thru a little access door and the battery switch is next to the batteries up front where the hydraulics are. Have they changed the locations?

Our 2013 RL is the same as your describing.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Fixing leaks in the "pex" pipe is VERY easy!

Go to the local Menards or Lowes and buy the "Pex Pipe" tools and clamps (about $100). There are 2 different types of clamps made for the pex pipe. Redwood uses the "band" type of clamp not the solid ring type. The good news about the band type is that they're easy to remove where the solid band can be difficult. Just grab the loose end of the clamp and unwrap the band.

I've had the best luck with replacing the pipe instead of reusing it because the pipe has "memory". The pipe is very inexpensive and readily available. The fittings come in metal or plastic. The plastic is much cheaper and I've had better luck with too.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Quick correction... The drip is originating from the back of the water heater bypass switch not the battery shut off. My bad!
Now in response to Dave's suggestion to buy a Pex tool... Excellent idea! I picked one up at Lowes, watched a few instructional videos on You Tube and made the repair myself. Now I'm loaded and ready for another drip! It was time consuming to unload our stuff, move the tray from the basement and open up the wall next to the water input but I removed the bad splices and amazed myself!
I feel bad about taking the $300-$500+ out of my dealers coffers but I'll get over it!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
Site Team

Grandpa I'm glad it worked out for you! I was worried the first time I tried using the pex tools because it seemed so simple. But it really is "STUPID SIMPLE".

Happy trails