Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 01:05 AM   #1

door contacts?

Any one have any idea what the electrical contact points are at the bottom of the entry door?

Thanks
Kerry
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:55 AM   #2

On my 2012 36RL, I assume (you know what that means) that the contacts are for the power door lock. There's nothing else electrical in my door. If the contacts seem to be giving you a problem, use a pencil eraser to clean them up and see if that helps.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Any one have any idea what the electrical contact points are at the bottom of the entry door?

Thanks
Kerry
You apparently have one of the earliest model RWs with the Southco remote door lock system.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
On my 2012 36RL, I assume (you know what that means) that the contacts are for the power door lock. There's nothing else electrical in my door. If the contacts seem to be giving you a problem, use a pencil eraser to clean them up and see if that helps.

That is correct. The Southco lock is a most reliable system. The only weak point that I have run into are the two spring loaded contacts on the door frame. Those contacts supply 12 VDC to the lock. They can become corroded or the flat spring surface may become flattened. Over 7 years of use with our coach, I have had to clean them a couple of times with a pencil eraser. Also, I have had to use a small flat blade screwdriver to slightly pry out the flat contact surface to make better contact with the corresponding spring loaded contact. Otherwise, my lock has been trouble free.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote