Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

OK, so our plans to full time status are progressing. We have sold our house and will be moving into the Redwood on May 2nd at our summer campground in Egg Harbor, Wisconsin. I will be retiring in August and then we depart Wisconsin right after Labor Day. Will spend some time in Minneapolis, then down to Chicago and we will winter in Chattanooga with/near the grandson until it get's too cold. Then as spring approaches back to Chattanooga, Chicago, a short stay in Wisconsin for dental cleanings and physicals, some golf with friends then to Minneapolis (grandson 2) and a planned 60 day tour of Alaska via a caravan. So I ask the Wisconsin DMV what we do about our address for car registration and our driver's license since our address will now be out of state using a mail forwarding service. Below is the response I received which basically is telling me they could care less if I remain a resident. Factually I don't see us staying in any state for 6 or more months. So I am thinking I am getting a green light to register everything in South Dakota. I will be receiving about $20,000 per year for the next two years from a Wisconsin employer for some ongoing long distance employee benefit consulting so I will have to figure out how that plays into this. I would appreciate some thoughts if any of you have been there done this domicile thing.

Thanks. and my apologies for the long explanation.

<div style="line-height: 21px; ">Hello Rick and Mary Jo,</span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; ">If you want to maintain your WI license you will have to maintain an address in WI which could be an RV Park address. If you will be spending more than 6 months away from WI you will need to get a license in the state you will be in for most of the year.</span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; "></span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; ">The last option, which is typically frowned upon, is that you use a family member’s address that is in WI as your home address. The thing to know about that is that your full names will need to be on or inside that person’s mailbox.</span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; "></span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; ">Teresa</span></span></span>
Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Say goodbye to WI. There are a number of States that will gladly have you as a resident without raping your retirement income. To name a few... Florida, Texas, Minnesota, and South Dakota. We choose South Dakota because it doesn't have a State Tax on your retirement income; does not require more than one night in a campground or hotel to become a resident; does not require you to own a physical residence; and there is no personnel property taxes on your vehicals. The only stipulation is that you have to come back once every five years to get your drivers license renewed.

Speaking of which, it took us 15 minutes to get our licences and 1/2 hour to get our licence plates.

We use Americas Mailbox in Box Elder for our mail forwarding, and it hasn't missed a beat getting our mail to us. Good luck on your decision.

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

We are from Georgia but have already established residency in Florida where there is no state income tax. We've chosen to use GoodSam Mail Forwarding which is based in Florida. Getting a FL drivers license was very easy, you do need to do it in person, just needed proof of US citizenship and a couple of documents with our FL address. We also registered to vote when we got our license.
We registered the RV in FL when we purchased it (6% sales tax) and in the process of transferring the truck.

Good luck with the transition to full time!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

We chose SD - Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls. We got better vehicle insurance rates using that address instead of Box Elder (go figure?!). We are not fulltiming yet, but gone enough to need mail forwarding.

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #5

We're using GS in Florida also. Have a Daughter near Tampa, so we figure we'll be in Florida more than any other state.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #6

Holy Cow! Pays to be a US citizen... Cdn law has us tied up in knots in every province so they can collect their pound of flesh and give us the "free health care"...

Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #7

Reg in SD. Sales tax is only 3% in SD. RV License was $254.00

Lillyputz
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #8

For those of you on the road that have changed your domicile to a tax friendly state, how do you plan to deal with jury duty requests in your new state if you registered to vote?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #9

If you change states how do you handle your Medicare for as long as it lasts!
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #10

My understanding is that in SD jury duty is not a problem - just let them know you are out of state. Don't know aboyt Medicare. I am getting my will & trust updated in SD. It's important that it complies with the laws and procedures of the state where you are domiciled. And SD has favorable laws in that respect.

JJ
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #11

Medicare is no problem. After you become citizens of the state you choose you just change your address with Medicare. We chose SD and are really happy we did . Insurance is way cheaper. Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls, great people, great service.
2013 Redwood 36RL Full paint D/W W/D 2 A/C's and all the other stuff.
jrgkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #12

Thanks for all of the input everyone. It appears that since the State of Wisconsin is no longer interested in retaining a life long resident I will be on my way to South Dakota by fall. Farewell Wisconsin. I'm still retaining my rights to be a Packers fan however
Old 04-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #13

Rick your lucky Wisconsin is willing to let you go. In California the do there best to get their hooks into you for taxes. Once I set up residency elsewhere I will need to unplug all my connections to California such as banks, storage unit, financial planner, etc.. If not they threaten to come after you for taxes.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder
Rick your lucky Wisconsin is willing to let you go. In California the do there best to get their hooks into you for taxes. Once I set up residency elsewhere I will need to unplug all my connections to California such as banks, storage unit, financial planner, etc.. If not they threaten to come after you for taxes.
California doesn't want to give up their meal tickets. That state is a mess and sinking fast.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&amp;Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder
California doesn't want to give up their meal tickets. That state is a mess and sinking fast.

X2!!
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #16

We lived in Ca. for 15 years. When we moved back to Tx. they came after us for 2 years. No matter what documents we sent them, they wanted us to pay. Hubby had to fly back and meet with them in person. It was not an easy fix! We would like to stay there for the summer since our daughter lives there, but if you stay 3 mos. they make you a resident and want taxes!!
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #17

My wife and I choose FL for our Domicile. Had no problems getting licenses or getting truck taken care of. thinking about using Good Sam Mail service.
jimnlee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1117
We lived in Ca. for 15 years. When we moved back to Tx. they came after us for 2 years. No matter what documents we sent them, they wanted us to pay. Hubby had to fly back and meet with them in person. It was not an easy fix! We would like to stay there for the summer since our daughter lives there, but if you stay 3 mos. they make you a resident and want taxes!!

Are you sure about the 3 month criteria? I believe there would be many "snow birds" they could tap. Just my opinion.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #19

I have some friends that go to CA for several months, but are domiciled in another state. They use only cash (no credit cards) and do nothing that can leave a paper trail. Basically CA doesn't know they are there. All bills are paid online, everything done by computer.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

If they are staying at KOA or RV Resort. is that not a paper trail cash or otherwise?
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote